Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 11:22 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,313,074 times

Advertisements

Some fun, light reading about a handful of Chicago's more popular nabes -- and very apropros for this board.

Does your Chicago neighborhood suck? An investigation - Thrillist Chicago
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2013, 11:24 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,677,960 times
I hate those uppity Lincoln Square types.

Old 10-20-2013, 11:37 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,907,803 times
hahaha what a great article.

Old 10-21-2013, 06:01 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,221,970 times
Enjoyed reading it.
Question -exactly when did Lincoln Park's population change? It used to be "old money."

Old 10-21-2013, 09:31 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,744,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rparz View Post
I hate those uppity Lincoln Square types.
Like me, the uppity retired boilermaker? Maybe the uppity Section 8 lollygaggers who live upstairs? (I wish they would get uppity off their dead asses.) Or the many uppity Greeks in the neighborhood, like Gus next door who sits in the backyard in his undershirt smoking Camels and drinking Budweiser?

Lately I've seen quite a bit of Latin Kings tagging, that's something I haven't seen the 2 years I've been here.

Last edited by Irishtom29; 10-21-2013 at 09:44 AM..

Old 10-21-2013, 10:14 AM

2,990 posts, read 5,276,703 times
I guess I am in the minority in finding the article unfunny, off point and uninsightful.

I've never noticed people in Old Town being more rude than anywhere else in the city.

I love Navy Pier. If you don't like it, don't go to it. I

I absolutely remember when River North was grittier, you just need to go back to the late 90s or even the early 2000s.

I think Lincoln Square is a lot of fun.

I don't know a single person in Pilsen who is supported by their parents, if they were they wouldn't be living in Pilsen.

Wicker Park is nothing like Lincoln Park and, yes, it is still a bit edgy. What are the big "alternative" hot spots in Wicker Park that were there 10 years ago that aren't there anymore?

The South Loop observation is the one that, sadly, rings true to me.

Old 10-21-2013, 10:48 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,907,803 times
^ I agree with the points you're making, but there's still a lot of people in each neighborhood that are just like that. I know a handful of people who live in Streeterville or Lakeshore East who are exactly how they describe (yes, many exist that don't describe that too) - even the mention of Wicker Park and they're like "omg no...it's so hipster and gritty."

It's not that EVERYONE is like that (for example, I live in the Gold Coast and happen to think there are a number of people with half way decent style there), it's just that you read the description and laugh, and think "you know, I DO see those people there sometimes. They are funny."

Old 10-21-2013, 10:54 AM

2,990 posts, read 5,276,703 times
I know what you mean but there is just something lame to me about, for example, griping about Navy Pier... you know, shocker.

OK I'll stop kevetching now.

Old 10-21-2013, 10:58 AM

2,249 posts, read 2,821,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynonos View Post
I guess I am in the minority in finding the article unfunny, off point and uninsightful.

I've never noticed people in Old Town being more rude than anywhere else in the city.

I love Navy Pier. If you don't like it, don't go to it. I

I absolutely remember when River North was grittier, you just need to go back to the late 90s or even the early 2000s.

I think Lincoln Square is a lot of fun.

I don't know a single person in Pilsen who is supported by their parents, if they were they wouldn't be living in Pilsen.

Wicker Park is nothing like Lincoln Park and, yes, it is still a bit edgy. What are the big "alternative" hot spots in Wicker Park that were there 10 years ago that aren't there anymore?

The South Loop observation is the one that, sadly, rings true to me.
Yeah I don't like the article either. While there is some truth to it, I don't find it funny.

Don't like the frat boy types that live in Lakeview? Ok so what? Then don't visit Lakeview. I hate this us vs. them attitude. Why can't people just let people be? Very nonobjective article that was probably written by a hipster. And while I try to be objective, I find that hipsters tend to be the WORST when it comes to this us vs. them business.

Old 10-21-2013, 11:02 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,184,687 times
I love this article, and also that so many people are apparently taking it seriously and are offended. I laughed my butt off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago