Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 07:52 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,877,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Side Brandon View Post
This Cubs fan doesn't hate Bartman at all. He didn't cost the Cubs game 6 Alex Gonzalez, Mark Prior and Dusty Baker did. I was embarrassed to be Cubs fan that night with the way the fans treated him. The White Sox extorted a 100% taxpayer funded Ballpark by using the threat of a move to St. Pete, Florida and the Cubs want to Renovate their privately owned ballpark with their own damn money and Tunney tried to stand in the way to protect a couple of lousy rooftop owners. Affluent Lakeview has held the Cubs hostage for decades especially on Night Games.
Agree 100%. Blaming Bartman is like blaming the weather, lame, lame, lame. Baker owns that spiral downward, Prior was clearly rattled and he should have just been removed. But Baker was intent on destroying his arm and Wood's, for what reason we'll never know.

And the rooftop owners are Tunney's achilles heel. I have yet to meet a single soul who sides with the rooftop owners, and I'll bet a kidney that a graphic analysis showing how much cashola Tunney has received from them is going to generate a ton of outrage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2013, 03:44 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
Tunny has been under HUGE pressure from the gay community in that area and for sure the gay bars and businesses along Belmont and Halsted. Everyone use to be fine with him, but the huge crime spree this summer of violence and robberies has taken a big toll from people who live/work in that strip. I have good friends that own bars along Halsted and a restaurant as well and they said Tunny is having a really hard time dealing with the business owners who are upset that he just tries to pretend this crime issue is somehow normal or that it's always been this way.

Old 10-27-2013, 04:17 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
Tunny is a business owner too, a darned successful one at that. While I doubt that there is specific demographic of cinnamon roll aficionados that would be targeted for violence, no doubt the spillover would affect Sather's. Similarly Tunney has long been not only openly gay but a strong advocate for causes from marriage equality to AIDS care that provided the base for his canidacy. No way some grudge holding wannabe retail "mogul" derails that...

Old 10-27-2013, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Tunny is a business owner too, a darned successful one at that. While I doubt that there is specific demographic of cinnamon roll aficionados that would be targeted for violence, no doubt the spillover would affect Sather's. Similarly Tunney has long been not only openly gay but a strong advocate for causes from marriage equality to AIDS care that provided the base for his canidacy. No way some grudge holding wannabe retail "mogul" derails that...
Actually a woman was maced and mugged on the way to work in front of that restaurant a few weeks ago, and Tom himself has called the police 3 times during the past few months for fights outside his restaurant and incidents going on there on that block, although the real problems are normally not when the restaurant is open. Tom himself was robbed a few years ago in the area.

Lately it's been windows who are taking a beating. Saturday morning at 8am someone stomped and shattered a window of a pizza place on Broadway trying to steal an Ipad secured to the counter (like many places have - the theif didn't get it), a bar had someone thrown through its window last night again on Broadway and there were a few broken windows at businesses on Belmont recently with people going through them during fights.

Old 10-28-2013, 01:22 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
People actually go through windows during fights? I thought that was a spaghetti-Western cliche...

Old 10-28-2013, 08:49 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,492,393 times
Tunney by a landslide.

Old 10-28-2013, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
People actually go through windows during fights? I thought that was a spaghetti-Western cliche...
That's what I thought too, but someone went through the Subway on Belmont, some thrift type store there as well (this summer) and on Saturday night two guys went through a window at Mahoneys on Broadway.

I was more impressed with the man and woman who decided to stomp a large plate glass window out of Pie Hole on a bright sunny Saturday morning at 8am right on Broadway to try and get an Ipad that's obviously bolted down and secured to the counter. Haven't they seen these things at damn near every store sitting on the counter. You think you'll just pick it up, smile and walk away?

Old 10-28-2013, 11:56 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,877,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
That happened on a monthly basis at Fleet's Inn on Belmont back in the late 80s.

Old 10-29-2013, 01:22 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,210,152 times
I think Tunney is definitely vulnerable, but there's no way that Mark Thomas is the guy to take him down.

Old 10-29-2013, 02:20 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Maybe the Ricketts family can fund a frontman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago