Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 07:07 PM

2,154 posts, read 5,448,913 times

Advertisements

Everyone remembers this show right?

The show took place in Chicago. The family's address was 9764 Jeopardy Lane, Chicago, IL but we know obviously that the exterior shot of the home was in the suburbs (actually it is a home at 641 Castlewood Ln, Deerfield, IL 60015, USA)

Given some of the facts of the show and the characters, I find it hard to believe that they would live in Deerfield. However, at the same time, they didn't seem like they would be much of city dwellers.

So where do you think they should have lived? Suburbs (if so, what suburb?) or City (if so, what neighborhood?)

Personally, I think that the Bundy's would have fit in very well in a place like Homewood.

What do you think?

(And yes, I stole this idea somewhat from the Roseann thread!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 08:04 PM

11,973 posts, read 31,622,124 times
I kind of picture them living in Rolling Meadows or Itasca.

Old 10-28-2013, 08:09 PM

4,068 posts, read 7,263,286 times
In any case, a shoe salesman and a stay-at-home wife would not be able to afford that kind of house anywhere in the Chicago area as far as I can see. Doesn't she always taunt him about being "minimum wage"? The show is satire and is meant to be preposterous and over the top and therefore not to be taken too seriously. To see the family living in that house, wherever it's supposed to be located, requires some suspension of disbelief.

Old 10-28-2013, 08:24 PM

2,154 posts, read 5,448,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
In any case, a shoe salesman and a stay-at-home wife would not be able to afford that kind of house anywhere in the Chicago area as far as I can see. Doesn't she always taunt him about being "minimum wage"? The show is satire and is meant to be preposterous and over the top and therefore not to be taken too seriously. To see the family living in that house, wherever it's supposed to be located, requires some suspension of disbelief.
They won money to buy the house and were told they had to live in a suburb that they fit it...problem solved! Do you know what...a little "fun" is???

Old 10-28-2013, 08:31 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,090,654 times
I could see them living in one of the older areas of Bolingbook.

Old 10-28-2013, 09:13 PM

6,439 posts, read 6,865,200 times
Portage, Indiana

Old 10-28-2013, 09:19 PM

1,817 posts, read 4,905,144 times
Park ridge

Old 10-28-2013, 10:23 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,662,594 times
Chet would say they should be in DuPage county.

Old 10-28-2013, 10:42 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,824,421 times
Berwyn!

Old 10-28-2013, 11:11 PM

5,951 posts, read 13,029,891 times
Ha ha! What a perfect thread!!

I just rediscovered this show after all these years when I woke up one night and could not get back to sleep, turned on TBS and there it was. Been checking out other episodes on TBS.

Agreed with Andrew61, the show was meant to be far fetched and over the top.

The only way I could see this making it out in real life, is that, maybe Al got paid better than we think. He was a shoe salesman for a LONG time, he probably got paid a lot of commission (not to be sexist but women do buy a lot of shoes) and they just had a mean cynical sense of humor, where they exaggerated everything mean and lamenting about their problems.

Maybe they had a small fortune somehow early in their marriage allowed them to put down a huge down payment that was never mentioned in the show.

They always talked about never having anything to eat, but wouldn't they be starving literally?? Again, they portrayed a cynical, sarcastic family for effect.

Agreed, they definitely would not have lived in Deerfield. Besides they had a Chicago address. Maybe in an alternate universe, Chicago annexed WAYY beyond the Chicago city limits of our universe to include many middle ring suburban areas, where houses like that are common. (Even in the furthest corners of Chicago proper around Beverly or Edgebrook, I doubt there is a house like the one filmed in Deerfield).

One more thing, real estate was probably a little more affordable in Chicagoland back in the 80s when the show first came on.

In any effect, the whole show had a bit of a cartoonish feel to it. If anyone was as truly miserable as the Bundys, in all their truths the show would be tragic. If you need to make it fit in real world, I guess you could say they just exaggerated in a sarcastic, cynical way. Great show, despite its low class-ness.

Last edited by Tex?Il?; 10-28-2013 at 11:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago