Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If you were my best friend, from understanding you, I would say live in:
Chicago 7 43.75%
Naperville 5 31.25%
Warrenville 2 12.50%
Go home, you're drunk. 2 12.50%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 01:25 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,102,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Come on, only one vote for "Go home, you're drunk"? I can't believe anyone would actually recommend reverse commuting from Chicago to Naperville. It's a terrible idea.
I did it for a year as a 22 year old, at that point in life its worth it - particularly as a transplant. If you do live in Naperville, you are surrounded mainly by other 20 something's with their high school friends, living at home. In Chicago, the op's much more likely to meet people.

Plus, this is just a summer internship. Would 22 yo Lookout Kid really want to spend his first summer out of college in a distant burb?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 01:40 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,247,756 times
I guess, from this thread, I think I would try the reverse commute. It will suck for sure, but you seem intent on trying and its only 10 weeks. You may regret it if you don't. Checking out the paths between metra and either Navistar or BP (just points of reference), probably 2/3 of the way would be pretty safe, it is getting on either Naper/Warrenville or Diehl/Winfield that it will get hairy.

I was talking with a conductor on one of my rides back to Naperville last week, she does the morning reverse commute. I ride my bike, so I asked if there are a lot of bikers on the reverse ride. She said she yeah, but very infrequently would someone not be able to bring their bike on, normally only if someone needs the handicap area (where bikes go).

Alternatively, you could try to get a second job as a bartender in Naperville and you will likely meet a bunch of North Central people at the bars...along with the parents of young children and some cougars.

Old 11-06-2013, 01:45 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,944,069 times
Watch out for the days when bikes are banned on all Metra trains (Taste of Chicago, Lollapalooza, Air and Water show).

Old 11-06-2013, 01:50 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,776,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
Plus, this is just a summer internship. Would 22 yo Lookout Kid really want to spend his first summer out of college in a distant burb?
No way in hell would the 22 year-old Lookout Kid have spent a summer in Naperville. I didn't even consider jobs in Chicago that weren't downtown, or at least in the city near public transit. I was never open to the idea of working in the burbs until this past year, when I moved to the burbs. Even when I was unemployed during the "Great Recession" I didn't consider suburban jobs.

But I guess that entry-level jobs are harder to come by now than when I was 22... So there's that factor. I still don't think I'd want this Naperville internship, unless it was the only opportunity available.

Old 11-06-2013, 01:51 PM

537 posts, read 739,824 times
Quote:
I've personally never met a 21-year-old who "loves Naperville", but there are definitely worse places in the suburbs for someone your age. No, this is not a ringing endorsement.
I would add, not so great for a late-30's divorced male either. Not fun living in the bland suburbs surrounded by yuppies and their offspring. Downtown Naperville is decent for nightlife, but if I was in my 20s I would definitely prefer Chicago. That commute, though . . . no thanks.

Old 11-06-2013, 01:51 PM

If the reverse commute is selected, I think a car is the only viable option. This train/bike combo sounds really dumb.

Old 11-06-2013, 02:27 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Default Agreed.

Quote:
If the reverse commute is selected, I think a car is the only viable option. This train/bike combo sounds really dumb.
As I stated, if the OP had an intership that involved a trip to Lisle or Downers Grove the odds of being a statistic in the "car vs bike, car always win" category would be greatly reduced becuase a) lots less nuttiness at Lisle's relatively low key train stop b) far less vehicular traffiic between Lisle's Metra Station and office location along Warrenville Rd in Lisle or Downers Grove c) signficantly shorter distance to travel, primarily along secondary streets, no fears of crummy crushed gravel recreation path (2.3 miles vs over 6 miles also a huge factor -- http://goo.gl/maps/6rLl8 vs http://goo.gl/maps/05yuZ )

While "you only live once" most sane people would agree that any internship worth having is worth devoting 100% of your time to as potential employers only give young people "one shot" at succeeding or failing and some goof ball that tries to serve up beer after work and thinks they can perform at their peak is asking to fail.

It is TEN short weeks. If you are too impatient to actually deal with staying in a place where you can actually focus on your future long term success maybe you should just skip the internship all together. If you spend the weekends enjoying the nightlife with the hordes of acquaintances you've undoubtedly made on your numerous visits to the city maybe that will help you deal with inevietable shortcomings you'll have to deal when the reality that you are not the greatest gift ever to fall from the sky for employers...

Old 11-07-2013, 06:19 AM

43 posts, read 57,591 times
I was going to thank you for having taken the time and effort to provide the first paragraph info and links, but I am not going to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
As I stated, if the OP had an intership that involved a trip to Lisle or Downers Grove the odds of being a statistic in the "car vs bike, car always win" category would be greatly reduced becuase a) lots less nuttiness at Lisle's relatively low key train stop b) far less vehicular traffiic between Lisle's Metra Station and office location along Warrenville Rd in Lisle or Downers Grove c) signficantly shorter distance to travel, primarily along secondary streets, no fears of crummy crushed gravel recreation path (2.3 miles vs over 6 miles also a huge factor -- http://goo.gl/maps/6rLl8 vs http://goo.gl/maps/05yuZ )

I can't get off at Lisle/DG as that would add time to my commute. The express train (Union Station to Naper in 37 mins does not stop in Lisle/DG).

While "you only live once" most sane people would agree that any internship worth having is worth devoting 100% of your time to as potential employers only give young people "one shot" at succeeding or failing and some goof ball that tries to serve up beer after work and thinks they can perform at their peak is asking to fail.

I am not a goof ball.
This isn't my "one shot", I have had great experiences working for this company, and I want to work for them just as much as they want me to come back.
Some people consume alcohol after work, some support their living by serving it. The latter wake up in the morning without the hangovers but with a heavier wallet.
I currently do work, take classes, and serve beer after work, and am succeeding at it. Just because you wouldn't have been able to, doesn't mean I can't.

It is TEN short weeks. If you are too impatient to actually deal with staying in a place where you can actually focus on your future long term success maybe you should just skip the internship all together. If you spend the weekends enjoying the nightlife with the hordes of acquaintances you've undoubtedly made on your numerous visits to the city maybe that will help you deal with inevietable shortcomings you'll have to deal when the reality that you are not the greatest gift ever to fall from the sky for employers

I might just be the greatest gift ever to fall from the sky for employers as I've got numerous internship offers, and am going for my 5th internship while being a college junior. I could sound less vain, but I hope this gives you an idea of how I am nothing you are unreasonably presuming me to be, and really I could care less. I work hard, and play hard, so yes I will spend my weekends enjoying the nightlife whether that's in Chicago, Naperville, or rural Utah. The last thing I would've expected for anyone to say was to suggest me to """just skip the internship all together""" I mean really? Could you be any more encouraging? Sorry, but no sorry, I won't be demeaned by a stranger or anyone like that. I was raised with love not hate.

Old 11-07-2013, 07:44 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Here is some "love not hate" for you -- since you apparently have so many internship offers why not take one in an area that will allow you to better fit your desire to work as bartender?

If you've worked for this firm before why are you asking questions about getting to their Warrenville location from Chicago? You should have that all figured out, heck maybe a current employee would be willing to carpool with you, that at least does not tie you to a rigid schedule that is not conducive to keeping all the plates you want to have spinning...

The trains that leave Union at 6:32 and 7:01 are the 37 minute outbound trips, though technically the 7:20 is even faster, getting one to Naperville Washington St in just 35 minutes -- one could probably grind out the trip to Warrenville and be sweating in a cube by 8:30. If you are going to be a clock puncher / stickler you could leave at 4:30, no? The speediest evening express leaves Naperville at 5:03 PM and gets into Union Station 39 minutes later, gives you probably 13 hours to do whatever you want before the cycle starts over. Miss that train though and travel times shoot up over an hour and you've only got a few crummy choices -- 5:33PM, 6:33, 8:33,10:33, last shot at 11:33PM. (btw some of the best internship experiences tend to be those that involve more than mere face time of showing up, but as you've already done stints maybe things are different for your situation...)

If you could find an internship in the Loop you'd have CTA service to get you to whatever bar you'd be slinging drinks at with ease.

Basically it just makes no sense to compare the schedule of classes & part time work in a college town to trying to cram 20+ miles of multi-modal travel into an internship AND working in a capacity that is unlikely to further one's professional development even should your goal be a position in the hospitality industry...

Last edited by chet everett; 11-07-2013 at 07:57 AM..

Old 11-07-2013, 07:51 AM

Well PunjabiBuckeye, you've been warned. It's up to you to try to make sense of these recommendations. But remember these warnings when you're sitting there peddling your bike on a 45 mph suburban areterial in a severe thunderstorm this summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago