Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 08:17 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,339,629 times

Advertisements

I agree think of the most miserable old people you know who constantly call the police and the most obnoxious power-tripping manager you ever worked for and those are the types of people who often end up on the boards in these associations. Add to the fact you literally have no legal recourse against them. That is why I'd live in a ghetto before buying a house or condo with any association.

So yes this is typical behavior. Heck my Grandma lived in Triumvera in Glenview. The association there were total @holes. They got sued because they tried to force a handicapped kid in a wheel chair to not go through the lobby and instead use the dingy freight entrance and freight elevator.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2015, 08:36 AM

11,973 posts, read 31,644,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
I agree think of the most miserable old people you know who constantly call the police and the most obnoxious power-tripping manager you ever worked for and those are the types of people who often end up on the boards in these associations. Add to the fact you literally have no legal recourse against them. That is why I'd live in a ghetto before buying a house or condo with any association.

So yes this is typical behavior. Heck my Grandma lived in Triumvera in Glenview. The association there were total @holes. They got sued because they tried to force a handicapped kid in a wheel chair to not go through the lobby and instead use the dingy freight entrance and freight elevator.
I served on a condo association for a few years, and have to agree with this. In fact, the only reason I stayed on the association was to keep an eye on things after a few "special assessments" and random rules that were passed. I never want to own property in any sort of communal situation ever again.

Old 11-26-2015, 04:36 AM

9,884 posts, read 9,492,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Frankly if your condo board had a little more spine they should have paid their lawyers to make an example of your idioticy! Any time the rules specifically prohibit an action, like renting to "vacationers" and someone fragrantly disregards this the HOA would be well within its right to bring the harshest actions against such violations.

There have been several well publicized situations where such uses have really ended up poorly.

I am sure that once some alderman has a neighbor harmed through some nutty type "rental" that will be end of AirBnB in Chicago...
If i lived in a condo building, I dont want a bunch of transients and strangers sharing that space in my building, its not safe.

Old 11-26-2015, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealIRC View Post
Well hopefully you pm'd the person that his/her thread was bumped/replied to by you 2 years later.

"Just because."
No, I dont feel the need to PM anyone.

Old 11-27-2015, 06:50 AM

1,769 posts, read 2,084,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
Except when you're morally obligated to. The whole point of replying to someone's post several years ago - to someone who's not an active user, is for them to know about it. "Just because."

Old 11-28-2015, 09:53 AM

3,485 posts, read 3,105,312 times
Quote:
Except when you're morally obligated to. The whole point of replying to someone's post several years ago - to someone who's not an active user, is for them to know about it. "Just because."
No one is morally obligated to do any such thing. That is what the "subscribe to thread" function is for, and you can also opt to have email notifications when people reply to your thread.
The onus of keeping track of threads they start is on the OP. No hand holding required.
You're welcome.

Last edited by quigboto; 11-28-2015 at 10:38 AM..

Old 11-28-2015, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Then you go morally pm them if you wish. I am under no obligation.

Old 11-28-2015, 12:30 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,214,205 times
Quote:
CD actively encourages adding to old threads, so if you have an issue with the zombie threads popping up you can go post in the admin section.

Old 11-29-2015, 08:08 AM

1,769 posts, read 2,084,059 times
Quote:
Then you go morally pm them if you wish. I am under no obligation.
Actually you are if you are trying to reply to them. What would be the point of replying to them and not letting them know about it?

And believe me... I have. It's like this "Hey, just letting you know someone revived your thread you made some years ago." And I have to do it not because people are too lazy to do it themselves (although that is also the case, but when brought the idea up, they refuse to.).

The vast majority of people always believe in doing "the minimum required."

But hey, a lot of people here are idiots. There's cases where when you come to the site you don't see the topics in chronological order, you see it in alphabetical order. That causes some people to think they're not actually bumping threads, they're actualling replying to the most recent thread...

But the sad part is there's always going to be some regular here that doesn't notice and therefore reply to the old thread anyways.

Then again, most people are also spineless fools. If person A says something about person B, then a person C could just simply quote and say "I agree!" The vast majority of people would do that if given the opportunity to.

Now, this forum does have limitations. I've been in forums that automatically e-mail the topic starter if someone replied to it when they weren't logged in but this forum isn't 1 of them.

There's been cases in this forum where as soon as someone bumps a thread I reply it's an old thread and a mod actually locks the thread... (lycos679).

Quote:
No... that's not what you meant to say.. What you really meant to say is you never feel obligated to be the 1st to PM a man you don't know. Or maybe even 1 you do know.

Old 11-29-2015, 09:57 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,214,205 times
Quote:

There's been cases in this forum where as soon as someone bumps a thread I reply it's an old thread and a mod actually locks the thread... (lycos679).
I doubt that.

Post #7, 23, 28, 29

http://www.city-data.com/forum/about...t-posters.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago