Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2015, 09:01 AM

1,769 posts, read 2,102,981 times

Advertisements

You know, I kind of only post in the Chicago section, and my example would be in this section. But each section kind of has local mods, doesn't it. If that thread is recent then that could be good news.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2015, 09:32 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,257,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealIRC View Post
You know, I kind of only post in the Chicago section, and my example would be in this section. But each section kind of has local mods, doesn't it. If that thread is recent then that could be good news.
Different sections do have different mods, but the site-wide policy is to encourage adding to old threads. As far as I know, no sections are precluded from that particular policy. Some sites, like Yelp and meta-something, close threads that are older than XX days, CD takes the opposite approach.

Here's a thread from 2014 that has a blurb next to the reply box telling users to post and update the thread.

Emanuel involved in Chicagoland TV series

Old 11-29-2015, 08:44 PM

9,908 posts, read 9,579,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealIRC View Post
\

No... that's not what you meant to say.. What you really meant to say is you never feel obligated to be the 1st to PM a man you don't know. Or maybe even 1 you do know.
Dude, I have better things to do than PM random posters on City Data forum!

Old 02-17-2016, 10:36 PM

3 posts, read 2,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
well your apartment is not zoned for business.. you were conducting business and so it was against the condo rules. if you are that successful, then why not rent a storefront or something.
How can I get someone to want to stay a few days in a storefront? That seems silly. The point is to earn income from a piece of Real Estate that I have invested my life savings in. That's the point of owning Real Estate, to make money.

Old 02-17-2016, 10:39 PM

3 posts, read 2,631 times
Condo's should not have the right to say what you can do in your own home. You can't rent your place out to make a living but you can bring home a hooker or a vagrant, or a drug addict, you can drink, smoke and sodomize whomever you please in your house but you cant rent it out. This law must be changed.

Old 02-18-2016, 08:02 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,157,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipertonic View Post
Condo's should not have the right to say what you can do in your own home. You can't rent your place out to make a living but you can bring home a hooker or a vagrant, or a drug addict, you can drink, smoke and sodomize whomever you please in your house but you cant rent it out. This law must be changed.
I have two convicted felons in my condo complex who are owners who live full time in units. But Airbnb/VRBO renters they get concerned. Kinda funny.

Old 02-18-2016, 04:22 PM

597 posts, read 666,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koctail View Post
My condo caught me doing Airbnb rental and fined me $4000 for violating the "no unit can be rented for vacation purposes". They did not care that I was renting only 1 of my bedrooms while I slept in the living room. I was shocked at the magnitude of the fine and also the lack of any warning. Is this normal for most high-rise condo associations?? I did speak to a lawyer and he said there is really not much I can do.

I deleted my Airbnb account and lost 30 or so future reservations. While doing Airbnb I earned around $12000. So this was profitable but a lot of work...
How did they know if you were saying there? Wouldn't it just appear as if you had a friend for the weekend? Or was the guest coming and going at all hours independent of you (which some visiting friends might do)?

Someone must have seen your place listed and squealed.

Old 02-18-2016, 05:20 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,420,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipertonic View Post
Unfortunately your only option is to buy a SFH and not buy a property with an "association". When you buy a property with an association you never really own it and the association often the biggest collection of bullies, losers, and cranks can do almost anything to you and you have no legal recourse because when you bought the place you signed away all your rights.

Old 02-18-2016, 07:47 PM

9,908 posts, read 9,579,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koctail View Post
hmm ok Mr. Goody two shoes... My condo also bans wearing of sleeping attire in the hallways. Is this also deserving of a $4000 fine??
Yes, you should be fined $4,000 for that too if you broke the rules and especially if you knew the rules.

Old 02-19-2016, 05:23 AM

1,769 posts, read 2,102,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
Yes, you should be fined $4,000 for that too if you broke the rules and especially if you knew the rules.
And why would you even both responding to an inactive user's post made 2 years ago?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago