Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2009, 07:12 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,124,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailerguy View Post
Nowhere near as bad as some people want you to believe. The air here is very dry when it's cold. Down to 20 degrees is quite bearable. When it gets to single digits and sub-zero of course you want to stay inside as much as possible but that does not happen often. The worst of it is getting around after a major snowfall, but again, that happens only a few times a winter. Generally there will be a temporary warmup after a big snowfall and most of it will melt away.
Ahhh, someone who finally sees it for what it is. Id like to further elaborate on the post-snowstorm conditions. If youre caught out on one of the handful of days where it really dumps on us, it is a bit tricky if youre not accustomed to driving in it. If youre accustomed, the going is still slow. Usually come the next day the roads are wet at most, especially the major roads. If the sun is out, the roads are usually dry by midday if the IDOT and city crews are on-the-ball with their work. Ive been driving in this state for almost 20 years and have never been stuck in snow. Ive had a few instances where I lost control shortly, but never involved in an accident. Just take it easy when conditions are bad and you should be juuuuust fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2009, 07:20 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,667,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Ahhh, someone who finally sees it for what it is. Id like to further elaborate on the post-snowstorm conditions. If youre caught out on one of the handful of days where it really dumps on us, it is a bit tricky if youre not accustomed to driving in it. If youre accustomed, the going is still slow. Usually come the next day the roads are wet at most, especially the major roads. If the sun is out, the roads are usually dry by midday if the IDOT and city crews are on-the-ball with their work. Ive been driving in this state for almost 20 years and have never been stuck in snow. Ive had a few instances where I lost control shortly, but never involved in an accident. Just take it easy when conditions are bad and you should be juuuuust fine.
I was stuck in it but since my car was mainly there for weekend use (rode the red line to work), it did not matter. The city does a great job of keeping the streets open. I mean, better than any other I have ever seen. They have hundreds of plows and salt trucks out on the streets BEFORE a flake falls! If there is even the remote possibilty of snow the trucks and plows are sent out. The problem is that a large number of parking spaces are only accessible from the rear (alley) and they do not clean the alleys at all. So while the street in front of you building may be sparkling clean, unless you and/or the neighbours dig the alley out, you are not going anywhere

Old 07-20-2009, 11:19 AM

3,047 posts, read 9,001,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrolla View Post
This summer has been great.
BS! On Average, Chicago would have had 40 days of 80+ degree weather by July 20th. This year, we've only had 21. That's a horrible summer IMO. I like to lounge by the pool, BBQ in the sun, just chill...it's hard to do that when (like this past weekend) we were flirting with 70 all weekend long.

Old 07-20-2009, 11:51 AM

211 posts, read 527,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
BS! On Average, Chicago would have had 40 days of 80+ degree weather by July 20th. This year, we've only had 21. That's a horrible summer IMO. I like to lounge by the pool, BBQ in the sun, just chill...it's hard to do that when (like this past weekend) we were flirting with 70 all weekend long.
Okey dokey, then. Me, I'm totally ok with temps hovering at 80, with low humidity. Ahhh, bliss.

It was pretty chilly yesterday for a summer day, true true.

Old 07-20-2009, 01:59 PM

1,464 posts, read 5,487,608 times
Quote:
Agreed! As I was told by my neighbor, we are getting robbed this summer. Horrible winter, non-existant spring, and now this? Come on! I don't love hot humid days, but some would have been nice and more than 1 or two totally sunny days in a two week span for crying out loud. The last totally sunny day here was the day of the Pride Parade. I remember well, I was at the Taste and I thought, "wow it really is an amazing day for this area." Totally blue skies from sun up to sun down and no howling winds. It was lovely.

I usually would be bronze tan by now, instead this year, I'm just another pasty white boy. Let's see this is what? Day 4 now in a row of mostly cloudy or cloudy skies and what, day 22 of a day without full sun from sun up to sun down? Yup, I was so far off about how cloudy it is here. And to think, this is our sunny time of year. DOPE!

Old 07-20-2009, 02:05 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,628,593 times
I think the bottom line is that if you enjoy outdoor activities, Chicago is not for you.

Chicago winters became too much for me to handle. And the winters weren't even the bad part-- it was the fact that summer just doesn't have to happen in Chicago. Spring was by no means an annual season; it was a once in a while occurrence a few times every decade. Autumn, by far my favorite season, was very brief and often too cold to enjoy being outside.

Frankly winter is the dominant season in Chicago, with summer being a very mild and very tepid season. It doesn't have to be warm, and as has happened this year, it certainly isn't.

I agree with the fact that Chicago definitely does not sell itself on weather. That is not, nor will ever be, its strong point. So other things make winter bearable, things one should know they can fully take advantage of being moving to the city.

EDIT: In going over the day to day temps, what I find so bizarre is that March, April and May were all very warm months. Unseasonably warm. And then we entered summer proper with frigid weather. For June I'm seeing many 60-degree days, which in my book is definitely not summer. Nor is that warm. July seems to have warmed up marginally with more 80F days.

Personally, in my ideal world, every day would be Autumn. Either windy and chilly with rain clouds or warm and crisp with harsh sun and cloudless skies. And the smell of wet soil and dead leaves, people gathering closer in groups around fires at bars and colleges and clubs in the evening, and just a hint of chilliness to make indoor activities seem more precious in the evening ^_^ *sighs*

Old 07-20-2009, 02:13 PM

11,973 posts, read 31,635,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYrules View Post
Agreed! As I was told by my neighbor, we are getting robbed this summer. Horrible winter, non-existant spring, and now this? Come on! I don't love hot humid days, but some would have been nice and more than 1 or two totally sunny days in a two week span for crying out loud. The last totally sunny day here was the day of the Pride Parade. I remember well, I was at the Taste and I thought, "wow it really is an amazing day for this area." Totally blue skies from sun up to sun down and no howling winds. It was lovely.

I usually would be bronze tan by now, instead this year, I'm just another pasty white boy. Let's see this is what? Day 4 now in a row of mostly cloudy or cloudy skies and what, day 22 of a day without full sun from sun up to sun down? Yup, I was so far off about how cloudy it is here. And to think, this is our sunny time of year. DOPE!
The incessant whining is really really really obnoxious. Deal with it or leave. You didn't expect it to be Malibu, did you?

Old 07-20-2009, 02:27 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,628,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
The incessant whining is really really really obnoxious. Deal with it or leave. You didn't expect it to be Malibu, did you?
It's interesting, Malibu as seen from Marina Del Rey is actually stunning. It's so beautiful. There were cloudy days in LA where the sun would literally peek through the bay only to shine on Malibu, and it reminded me so strongly of something you'd see in Italy.

That being said, Malibu itself sucks and deserves none of the luxury or cultural chic associated with the name.

Old 07-20-2009, 03:50 PM

1,464 posts, read 5,487,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Whine whine whine. LOL! Naw, not Malibu, but Carlsbad or Poway would be nice. hehe

Old 07-20-2009, 10:11 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,124,059 times
Quote:
I think its been gorgeous, too. Funny how people here complain about how hot and humid it can be at times (and their reason for wanting to move out West), but when its cool with dry air, people whine and moan about how its not hot enough. THis summer reminds me of summer temps like I experienced up near the Rockies in Estes Park, CO. THIS weather is juuuuuust right. Not hot, not humid, no need for heat OR A/C for months now. Screw the heat and humidity, this is Heaven on earth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago