Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2009, 09:07 AM

1,912 posts, read 5,419,263 times

Advertisements

I'm glad you refreshed this thread. I am wondering where I can get that plastic window sheeting for cheap. I was planning to do attend one of those weatherization classes to get some supplies for free but the freebie one isn't until the end of November and I have some windows that need to be done nowish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2009, 09:32 AM

15,585 posts, read 27,438,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surlycue View Post
I'm glad you refreshed this thread. I am wondering where I can get that plastic window sheeting for cheap. I was planning to do attend one of those weatherization classes to get some supplies for free but the freebie one isn't until the end of November and I have some windows that need to be done nowish.
I usually get that stuff at Home Depot. Get the thinner stuff and double it (fold) up.The thick stuff is way more difficult to keep up. The thinner flexible stuff is way more easier to put up and take off. You also want to make sure the sheeting is clear to let the sun in. The sun always helps heat your place.I use duct tape to keep the plastic up. Make sure you tape it up nice and tight too.

I usually have used stuff like this. It will cost you like $20-25 and you probably will have plenty left over for next year:

Plastic sheeting:
Husky 3.5 Mil, 10 Ft. x 25 Ft. Clear Polyethylene Sheeting - RSHK3510-25C-U at The Home Depot

Husky 4 Mil, 3 Ft. x 50 Ft. Clear Polyethylene Sheeting - RSHK403-50C-U at The Home Depot

Duct tape:

Nashua Tape Nashua 557 Code-Approved All-Weather Duct Tape for Flex Duct. 1.89 in. x 60 yds. (48m x 54.9m) - 5570020008 at The Home Depot

Filtrete Transparent Duct Tape - 2120-A at The Home Depot

Old 10-01-2009, 11:59 AM

968 posts, read 2,650,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
A scarf is acceptable especially when it is windy. But parkas and knit hats?
I vote transplants .. When I'm in Florida ( TB area) during their 'winter' months , I see people snorkeling parkas when it's in the low 50s .. I actually had clients that did not want to go out for lunch because that weather is 'too cold'... it was 52 and cloudy out, oh perish the thought !! ..Meanwhile we Chicagoans are basking in that relative warmth ... Agree with you we're not acclimated yet ..but if this weather hit us in February, the parkas stay at home on the damn hooks where they belong !!

Old 10-01-2009, 12:18 PM

313 posts, read 593,137 times
October and early November have my favorite weather of the year (dark, cool, and humid), but my wife is already thinking about wearing gloves and has gone to her mid-level coat. She's a skinny woman from the tropics and I'm a fat highlander, no big surprises there.

Old 10-01-2009, 12:47 PM

2,242 posts, read 6,214,008 times
I love this weather.

Old 10-01-2009, 02:41 PM

11,973 posts, read 31,635,920 times
^^I like it too. Except for the rainstorm that's on the way. Cold rain sucks. I'd rather have snow.

Old 10-01-2009, 03:46 PM

313 posts, read 593,137 times
I like light cold rain.

Old 10-01-2009, 04:19 PM

2,242 posts, read 6,214,008 times
Tickets for tonights game gone to waste AGAIN

Old 10-16-2009, 06:10 PM

1 posts, read 2,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpman023 View Post
Hi,

Don't ask why, but ever since I was a kid, I've always been in love with Chicago, and I've really wanted to live there since. The problem is, I really hate cold weather, with a passion, but really, just how bad are the Chicago winters? I come from the Northwest which can get somewhat cold, but nothing compared to Chicago, so for someone like me, how unbearable are the winters? Does it take a really long time to adjust or what? This is my only beef with the city (although I hear it's really nice during the spring/summer), so is the winter bad enough to be a dealbreaker? How do they compare to NYC (I'm deciding between the two, but Chicago has lower COL, which is important because I'll only be an entry level accountant making somewhere between 50-55k my first year).

Also, just out of curiosity, how good is the public transportation there? For my first few years, if I end up living there, I'd like to live in the city so that I (hopefully) don't need a car. Although I should have a decent career in a few years, entry level accountants don't exactly make bank, so I want to cut my costs as much as possible. Plus, how bad is Chicago for entry-level workers in terms of cost of living?

sorry, that's a lot of questions, but I'd really aprpeciate your help/

thanks

If you hate even mild-to-moderately cold weather with a passion, you will positively loathe Chicago during Jan-Feb. There are days when your nostrils freeze together the instant you step outside. A car is handy but not really needed; there are, after all, only 3 'boroughs': North Side, West Side, South Side, and the CTA goes along multipleroutes in all three. As far as cost of living goes, it depends on your standards and choice of neighborhood.

Old 10-17-2009, 12:12 AM

3,674 posts, read 8,628,593 times
I'm eyeing Chicago from Los Angeles right now. I said that I'd move back, but... I really don't think I can. I just can't endure another Chicago winter. I like cold weather, too. That is just severe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago