Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2009, 01:12 AM

5,738 posts, read 5,410,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingsomewhere View Post
it might not have any, but both can add up to depressed moods. I'd live in Norway (it's darker and grayer than Chicago), without the NWA thug core mentality.
lol yes we all live in thug land here in Chicago. If you can't find your way out of it maybe you should just go back home to bask in the paradise. Bodymore, Murdaland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2009, 10:51 AM

818 posts, read 2,161,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post

Back on topic though, I thought this summer was absoltely glorious. Who doesnt like temps between 65 and 80 degrees for 3-4 straight months?!?!?! It did get broiling hot for 2-3 days, that was enough for me!!!!
This summer was still cloudier than normal (and cooler). Some people prefer this, others don't. So far everyone that has ever told me that the weather was "not too bad" on a colder than average year, has been people who prefer colder weather, some that even love when it gets below 0. I just chalk this up to different tastes.

To the topic of this thread (Does Chicago's weather and landscape cause depression), I would say that most places in the US have a nice summers. The places that don't (the hot and humid south) generally have a lot nicer winters, springs, and falls. Saying Chicago (or anywhere in the midwest) has nice summers does not indicate a nice overall climate. Every place/city has good and bad about it. There is a lot of good things about Chicago, if there weren't I wouldn't be here. However, I do believe that along with the taxes/political corruption, the weather here in Chicago is it's main drawback.

Old 11-19-2009, 03:44 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,737,620 times
You'd think someone from Baltimore would be absolutely giddy with the comparatively low crime rate in Chicago. Unless, of course, they're a troll.

Old 11-19-2009, 05:21 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,841,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
You'd think someone from Baltimore would be absolutely giddy with the comparatively low crime rate in Chicago. Unless, of course, they're a troll.
Someone from Baltimore casting aspersions on Chicago's crime?

Pot, meet kettle; people in glass houses, etc, etc. Too funny for words.

Old 11-19-2009, 05:46 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,120,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManheimMadman View Post
Are you from the Chicago area, cap?

I think a lot of the natives are just used to it. I once dated a girl whose family came from New Orleans. They claimed that it was nowhere near as gloomy there. Also, her mom had a very, very hard time with the seasonal depression.

My grandma lives in Phoenix. Whenever I go to visit her in two week blocks of time, I always ask, "doesn't it ever get cloudy around here?"
Yes it gets cloudy in Phoenix about 40 times a year. Precisely why I live there and not in Chicago...anymore. If you have SAD, the area of western Kansas to the Front Range and south into western Texas, all of NM, AZ, parts of the rest of CO, UT, and NV is your cure. Skip FL, it rains too much.

Last edited by mhouse2001; 11-19-2009 at 06:59 PM..

Old 11-19-2009, 07:13 PM

512 posts, read 1,178,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
I love gloomy, cloudy, cool, rainy days.

Makes me feel happy.

generally Chicago makes me feel like throwing up but I like gloomy days more than sunny ones too..

Old 11-19-2009, 09:17 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,124,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
Yes it gets cloudy in Phoenix about 40 times a year. Precisely why I live there and not in Chicago...anymore.
So you ditch a world class city to live in a massively inferior one because Phoenix gets more sun?

Well that wasnt very smart now, was it?

Just so you know, Im prepared for the typical Phoenician responses like "we have world class amenities" or "we now have light rail" or "we dont have to shovel sunshine". Ive heard every excuse in the book.

Old 11-19-2009, 09:18 PM

15 posts, read 37,491 times
not really, i luv this weather... tho i get more depressed with the thought that during the week, I don't see the sun at all (such is the life from 9-5). The sun setting at 4:30 tho still freaks me out

Old 11-19-2009, 09:27 PM

23,072 posts, read 28,795,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
Yes. By February I can barely drag myself out of bed in the morning. I have no problems with cold and snow. It's just the relentless gray skies that get to me.
I'm just waiting for them to come up with some magical medication for those who find gray, cloudy weather intolerable. Once that arrives at the pharmacies, I'm on my way back to any cloudy region I'd love to in, perhaps even Portland or Seattle.

Right now, even if it clouds up one day here in the Southwest, I go into a panic attack, worrying what would happen if I had to endure two full days of it.

No, I didn't escape the Midwest due to snow and the cold, I miss a blasting snow storm, it was the clouds that drove me out.

I'm pea green with envy for those that are unaffected by cloudy weather.
I wish I were one of them.

Old 11-19-2009, 10:22 PM

4,068 posts, read 7,267,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
So you ditch a world class city to live in a massively inferior one because Phoenix gets more sun?

Well that wasnt very smart now, was it?
So what? Not everyone aspires to live in a "world class city" (however that's defined). Different people have different priorities, and that's a good thing. Different strokes and all that...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago