Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2009, 10:31 PM

4,068 posts, read 7,267,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYrules View Post
In Steve's defense and see Steve I will back you here... Steve lives in the far western burbs if I'm not mistaken, and yes way out there, the weather IMO is better than in the city or the burbs near the lake (Less than 20 miles) His spring did start right on schedule with temps in the 60s-80s in April vs in Chicago where winds howled off the lake keeping temps in the upper 30s to maybe mid 50s most days, his summer was warm, fall was the same as the city as the lake water won't affect much as it is warm by then, and his winter should be much sunnier as he won't get the lake effect clouds that the city gets. In the city though, yes our weather has sucked much as it has for the inner ring burbs which I'm in.
Ah, how well I remember when I was new to Chicago and still unaware of weather differences within the Greater Chicago region.

I'd leave my office in suburban Hoffman Estates on a beautiful Spring day and walk to where my car was parked... and think to myself how nice the weather was, mild, temps around 70, the warm sun feeling good on my face... and anticipate taking a nice, long walk when I got home...

...only to find that, once I'd arrived at my apartment on the north lakefront, it was maybe 45 degrees and windy... maybe cloudy and/or foggy... and I'd feel tricked... fooled... robbed...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2009, 10:41 PM

226 posts, read 975,607 times
how does one determine what a "world class city" is? explain? is it the light rail (or the EL?), shovel snow? what is it? I think my answer is "population"? Chicago is 3rd in the U.S. and so what!? Barrack was going to be the boost, with becoming president and the Olympic stuff, but then again he was born in Hawaii!? Thank god. What is "world class" about Chicago? It's a state of mind. If someone tells you padunk, Idaho is world class you'd believe it but others might question it. It's like saying USA is a free country, but is it really? With so much rules and regulations worst than any communist country, is it really a free country? It's a state of mind, freedome is. Gte over your "world class" self.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
So you ditch a world class city to live in a massively inferior one because Phoenix gets more sun?

Well that wasnt very smart now, was it?

Just so you know, Im prepared for the typical Phoenician responses like "we have world class amenities" or "we now have light rail" or "we dont have to shovel sunshine". Ive heard every excuse in the book.

Old 11-19-2009, 11:06 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,259,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moskiter View Post
generally Chicago makes me feel like throwing up but I like gloomy days more than sunny ones too..
So do your posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingsomewhere View Post
how does one determine what a "world class city" is? explain? is it the light rail (or the EL?), shovel snow? what is it? I think my answer is "population"? Chicago is 3rd in the U.S. and so what!? Barrack was going to be the boost, with becoming president and the Olympic stuff, but then again he was born in Hawaii!? Thank god. What is "world class" about Chicago? It's a state of mind. If someone tells you padunk, Idaho is world class you'd believe it but others might question it. It's like saying USA is a free country, but is it really? With so much rules and regulations worst than any communist country, is it really a free country? It's a state of mind, freedome is. Gte over your "world class" self.

I would like to comment on this fully but I can't read all of it.

Are you REALLY comparing Chicago to a Communist country? You have no idea what you are talking about and that's just insulting to every possible party including yourself because it's just pure ignorance and hate that makes you post these things.

Old 11-19-2009, 11:13 PM

Location: in the sun with all shadows behind me, in a small town with no "culture" to malign me
80 posts, read 93,119 times
Does Chicago's weather and gray landscape ever affect your mood?

...Only 7 or 8 months out of a year...

Old 11-20-2009, 02:55 PM

2,474 posts, read 4,137,365 times
http://home.att.net/~chicago_climo/chimsnow.jpg

Old 11-20-2009, 07:11 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,120,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
So you ditch a world class city to live in a massively inferior one because Phoenix gets more sun?

Well that wasnt very smart now, was it?

Just so you know, Im prepared for the typical Phoenician responses like "we have world class amenities" or "we now have light rail" or "we dont have to shovel sunshine". Ive heard every excuse in the book.
I like peace and quiet. I get it here in Phoenix, along with the sunshine and a change of landscape if I want to drive anywhere for an hour. Chicago is an exciting world class city, but I can't handle the noise, the density/difficulty parking, the dirt (and snirt--snow+dirt and its impact on vehicles), the crime, and the climate. I grew up in Gary (back in the 60s when it was a real city and it was safe to walk the sidewalks) so that should hint at another reason why I shudder at the thought of living in Chicagoland. The sight of industrial factories makes me sick. Phoenix is pretty stress-free for me and I can get the things I need for far less than in Chicago. The sun rises over the mountain off my balcony and I walk to work in 9 minutes. A 30 minute hike would place me in the middle of desert with no hint of a city around me. Phoenix isn't inferior, it just has 150 years to catch up in its development to ever sit in the same league as Chicago. I'm patient, and I daresay smart, because I get to enjoy the opportunity of something entirely different...wearing shorts and complaining that 70 is just too darn cold!

FYI: I've also lived in Seattle, San Francisco, Los Angeles, San Diego, Houston, and Kansas City. And I picked Phoenix out of all of them when I had the chance!

Last edited by mhouse2001; 11-20-2009 at 07:23 PM..

Old 11-30-2009, 06:30 PM

15,585 posts, read 27,438,384 times
I figured I would bump this up since we may get the first snow of our winter in the next few days.

That way everyone can direct their questions and complaints in this thread.

Old 11-30-2009, 06:36 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,737,620 times
Guess I put the winter tires on just in time.

Old 11-30-2009, 07:29 PM

332 posts, read 520,291 times
OMG I am so ready for winter. Can't wait to see the snow flying around. I love how there actually IS a winter here--Christmas time, NFL playoffs around the corner, etc.

And time to start planning a vaca for Feb/Mar which'll be when I'll be tired of it and ready for warm weather. Cali, FL, or TX?? Especially since I can't get out of here during the summer b/c my apt becomes like a bed and breakfast as everyone I know from all over God's green earth is like "Hey it's summertime let's go to Chicago and crash at x's pad"

Except that I need to find a good pair of winter boots and the shoe store by the apt didn't have any the other day.

People always dog the Chicago winters but my theory is that if you accept it for what it is and manage it right it can be enjoyable.

Old 11-30-2009, 09:40 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,124,059 times
I look forward to winters and the peace and quiet it brings compared to the manic summertime. I love gentle snowfalls, Christmas shopping, all the lights, the crisp air, sledding, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago