Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2009, 05:47 PM

7 posts, read 16,721 times

Advertisements

I'm from a place much colder than London -problably not as much as Chicago but definitely colder than London
But it's the lack of light that I can't handle anymore
Back home it's freezing cold but the sky is blue -here... well, thirty different kinds of grey is all we get from September to April...

I'm asking because maybe (fingers crossed) I will have the chance to move there. But it is really gloomier than here... Well, then I will think twice...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2009, 08:31 PM

7,041 posts, read 14,952,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tizona2009 View Post
I'm from a place much colder than London -problably not as much as Chicago but definitely colder than London
But it's the lack of light that I can't handle anymore
Back home it's freezing cold but the sky is blue -here... well, thirty different kinds of grey is all we get from September to April...

I'm asking because maybe (fingers crossed) I will have the chance to move there. But it is really gloomier than here... Well, then I will think twice...
no, Tizona, as far as grey goes, Chicago will equal to rival London in the winter. (grew up in Chicago, been to London many times in the winter). In other words, it is pretty much ALWAYS grey during the winter. (and much colder & snowier as was already mentioned)

Old 12-09-2009, 08:50 AM

367 posts, read 913,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
I am sick of the news outlets acting like this storm is the Chicago "storm of the century." A storm like this happens multiple times a year almost every year.
True.

I've got the long underwear, wool socks, boots, etc ready. I've been here long enough to deal with it. Bring it on Chicago winter!

I just hate the heating bills.

Old 12-09-2009, 11:16 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,194,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
no, Tizona, as far as grey goes, Chicago will equal to rival London in the winter. (grew up in Chicago, been to London many times in the winter). In other words, it is pretty much ALWAYS grey during the winter. (and much colder & snowier as was already mentioned)
That's what's nice about the arctic cold fronts-they bring sunny weather!
When I retire, I'm in the Midwest/Upper Midwest in summer and down south Jan-April.

Old 12-09-2009, 04:24 PM

947 posts, read 2,412,236 times
Went to see the Xmas tree in Daley Center on Saturday. Wow, heard about it, but was not expecting it. Where are the ornaments?
Still, it is a cool idea and the tree is from Palos Hts, yes?
Is this going to be a yearly tradition?

Old 12-09-2009, 04:33 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,062,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaloneJill View Post
Went to see the Xmas tree in Daley Center on Saturday. Wow, heard about it, but was not expecting it. Where are the ornaments?
Still, it is a cool idea and the tree is from Palos Hts, yes?
Is this going to be a yearly tradition?
It is a sad looking tree.

Typical for the city to make symbolic budget cuts as opposed to ones that matter.

I'm sure we'll see a respectable tree in a few years once unemployment is back under 7.5 percent.

Old 12-09-2009, 04:50 PM

947 posts, read 2,412,236 times
True, the money saved is a drop in the bucket compared to other overspending.
They could have had students from the Art Institute or from the high schools making ornaments for it. It looks so bare.

Old 12-09-2009, 05:14 PM

11,973 posts, read 31,635,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
I am sick of the news outlets acting like this storm is the Chicago "storm of the century." A storm like this happens multiple times a year almost every year.
I woke up to damp grass in my front yard. Now we've got, what, an inch of snow maybe? The weather sensationalism on television is out of control. People used to be able to cope with mildly adverse weather, but now everything is an emergency. Our society is filled with wusses.

Old 12-09-2009, 05:30 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,062,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
I woke up to damp grass in my front yard. Now we've got, what, an inch of snow maybe? The weather sensationalism on television is out of control. People used to be able to cope with mildly adverse weather, but now everything is an emergency. Our society is filled with wusses.
At least it bumped Tiger Woods off the headlines for a few hours.

And in order for this post not to be deleted, I'd like to add that Chicago has a winter. Should be topical enough now.

Old 12-09-2009, 05:36 PM

313 posts, read 593,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Did they know a couple of days ago that the snow was going to go to the West of us? My grandparents got 18" dropped on them yesterday. I'm not sure when the last time we got that much here was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago