Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2009, 11:02 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,418,848 times

Advertisements

I'm going back to Miami for a visit on Saturday and my mom told me that today was 87 with 90% humidity. Ugh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2009, 01:23 AM

38,707 posts, read 102,730,225 times
I just went to the grocery store in a T-shirt, sweatshirt and shorts. It's 2 degrees out. I'm just not a Florida kind of guy.

Old 12-11-2009, 08:53 AM

947 posts, read 2,412,025 times
We have a hot tub on our deck. Cranked it up to 102, shoveled a path to the tub and jumped in last night. Hot tub is 10 years old and survived a move. Best investment we ever made.
My husband and son used to get their bathing suits on, roll in the snow, then jump in the hot tub. But then, they're crazy.

Old 12-11-2009, 12:22 PM

1,043 posts, read 3,708,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Try 7-8 months. My cousin just got back from Tampa, said it was warm and still sticky. No thanks!
Yeah, Tampa is really bad. Sweating while eating Thanksgiving Dinner is no fun at all.

Old 12-11-2009, 12:24 PM

1,043 posts, read 3,708,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaloneJill View Post
We have a hot tub on our deck. Cranked it up to 102, shoveled a path to the tub and jumped in last night. Hot tub is 10 years old and survived a move. Best investment we ever made.
My husband and son used to get their bathing suits on, roll in the snow, then jump in the hot tub. But then, they're crazy.
A Hot tub sounds like a great idea! I have a neighbor a block away that hooks up a portable one every now and then, and I always get jealous when I see it while walking my dog.

Old 12-12-2009, 09:49 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,119,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surlycue View Post
I'm going back to Miami for a visit on Saturday and my mom told me that today was 87 with 90% humidity. Ugh.
Thats a pet peeve of mine. You know, the whole "its 90 degrees with 100% humidity in Florida". Could you imagine the heat index if that happened?!?!? The dew point would have to be ridiculously high!

During Miami's peak heat today (85 degrees), humidity was at 60%. Thats pretty high, but definitely NOT 90%. Tell your mom to stop exaggerating.

j/k

Hialeah, Florida (33010) Conditions & Forecast : Weather Underground

Old 12-12-2009, 10:08 PM

7,041 posts, read 14,951,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkerP View Post
Apparently not because my neighbor across the street doesn't shovel her snow no matter how many inches we get and we live on a main blvd that a bus line runs on, so there's always foot traffic. A few years back when I was out of town for a week and couldn't shovel, I didn't get any notices or anything.
wow, when I was growing up, that was always the race...get the snow shoveled before the "snow police"....my house as well as my two grandmothers!! That is why, to this day (and I live in NC where it rarely snows) a snowflake creates a jerk reaction to getting out the snow shovel!!

Old 12-12-2009, 11:41 PM

15,585 posts, read 27,435,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
They don't fine you anymore for not clearing your sidewalks? There used to be a $50.00 fine for not clearing you walk in a certain amount of time.
The ordinance exists. It is rarely enforced now. Although I am sure if you called the police department or streets and sanitation and complained about a repeat offender they might come out and write a ticket.

Old 12-13-2009, 08:33 AM

7,041 posts, read 14,951,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Thats a pet peeve of mine. You know, the whole "its 90 degrees with 100% humidity in Florida". Could you imagine the heat index if that happened?!?!? The dew point would have to be ridiculously high!

During Miami's peak heat today (85 degrees), humidity was at 60%. Thats pretty high, but definitely NOT 90%. Tell your mom to stop exaggerating.

j/k

Hialeah, Florida (33010) Conditions & Forecast : Weather Underground
Actually, Steve, I HAVE experienced the 90 degree temps with 100% humidity (not presently nor do I have any idea what is going on in FL right now). It IS really, oven-like hot and oppressive. When I was in China over the summer, I do not know actual numbers, but, it was probably close to that or higher.

Old 12-13-2009, 04:24 PM

90 posts, read 246,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
Yes, search the forum, but I understand you want a quick answer. Chicago winters are quite variable. One winter can be mild with just a few little snowstorms and no real cold outbreaks. The next one can be awful with weeks of sub-freezing temps and plenty of snow. You just can't predict it. The other thing about Chi winters is they can start warm and end up cold, or vice-versa.

50-55K is enough to live on if you don't mind a studio or 1-BR apartment. Just don't expect to live in a downtown/northside apt or condo in a desirable neighborhood. Suburbs are probably more realistic. But you can commute in on an excellent transit system.

Good luck, Chicago is a great city, and northwesterners will find the city and vibe to be quite a natural fit.
Relax if you don't want to answer the question, move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago