U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-23-2009, 01:19 PM

18,533 posts, read 48,397,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYrules View Post
Oh God I could see it now... "Well Steve-O it was really something out there today, when is this horrendous weather going to end?"... "Well Steve and Micah, while you may say it was miserable, it wasn't! Today was absolutely breath taking as the crisp rain came down in the refreshing 20 degree temperatures with the gentle 40 mph breeze blowing. It was truly wonderous once again reminding us all why Chicago is truly paradise. Now San Diego where it was 75 and sunny, YUCK!!! BORING!!!" LOL!
Nah, I hate rain.

But, I could take it one step further and say something like "well, in San Diego today its 65 degrees, people are out putting Christmas lights on their palm trees and spraying fake snow on their windows, its beautiful!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2009, 01:28 PM

816 posts, read 1,162,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
Ok, so it's not sunny florida in the winter. But the harsh winters enable Chicago to have the most beautiful summers. I'd take a Chicago winter over a Phoenix or Miami summer.
In what way? There are beautiful summer (if you define it as summers that are nearly the same as Chicago's 80-85 degree highs and 60-65 degree lows) in plenty of places that do not have as harsh of winters as Chicago, including .......

New York,Boston, Barcelona, Rome, Tokyo, and Budapest

Old 12-23-2009, 09:02 PM

947 posts, read 1,252,400 times
Anyone driving tonight, please, please be careful! Live to see another Christmas!

Old 12-23-2009, 09:58 PM

10,069 posts, read 16,873,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJaye View Post
In what way? There are beautiful summer (if you define it as summers that are nearly the same as Chicago's 80-85 degree highs and 60-65 degree lows) in plenty of places that do not have as harsh of winters as Chicago, including .......

Boston's winters are only slightly better than Chicago's. In some ways they are worse (though they don't get the sub-zero stuff). But I'll give you the rest.

Old 12-24-2009, 12:19 AM

2,763 posts, read 1,655,018 times
Quote:

Average January highs (F), from Wikipedia:

New York: 39
Boston: 36
Budapest: 36
Chicago: 31

Are we done now?

Old 12-24-2009, 10:14 AM

816 posts, read 1,162,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
Average January highs (F), from Wikipedia:

New York: 39
Boston: 36
Budapest: 36
Chicago: 31

Are we done now?

No, you did not include a few of the other cities that I mentioned, nor did you include LOWS. Chicago's average January low is 16- New York's is 27 (according to Wikipedia, your selected source)! This is a major difference, as there are a lot of people out there that first start to feel extremely uncomfortable at around 20-25 degrees.

All I am getting at is that harsh winters aren't necessary for pleasant summers. I searched specifically for cities that had summer similar to Chicago (highs 80-85, lows 60-65), but if you broaden your search to anywhere that summer can be considered "pleasant" including cooler and drier summer, then you can bring up cities like San Diego, LA, Paris, London, Dublin, Seul, Seattle, Amsterdam, and San Francisco.

Come to think of it, you comment kind of made us further from done.

Old 12-24-2009, 11:54 AM

4,029 posts, read 3,974,038 times
Quote:
No, you did not include a few of the other cities that I mentioned, nor did you include LOWS. Chicago's average January low is 16- New York's is 27 (according to Wikipedia, your selected source)! This is a major difference, as there are a lot of people out there that first start to feel extremely uncomfortable at around 20-25 degrees.
Since when is 20-25 degrees "extremely uncomfortable?"

Old 12-24-2009, 02:04 PM

2,763 posts, read 1,655,018 times
Quote:

All I am getting at is that harsh winters aren't necessary for pleasant summers. I searched specifically for cities that had summer similar to Chicago (highs 80-85, lows 60-65), but if you broaden your search to anywhere that summer can be considered "pleasant" including cooler and drier summer, then you can bring up cities like San Diego, LA, Paris, London, Dublin, Seul, Seattle, Amsterdam, and San Francisco.

Come to think of it, you comment kind of made us further from done.
You were right with some of the cities, but I was debunking the common myth that New York and Boston have milder winters than Chicago. A difference of 5-8 degrees is irrelevant. In all 3 cities come January, you're going to be wearing a coat and gloves, avoiding time outside, and dealing with large amounts of snow.

Average daily high temperatures are more relevant because most people are outside around 12 PM and inside before 10 PM, so they are exposed to the upper range of temperatures, and people are aware that generally temperatures will drop about 10 degrees during the day.

Old 12-25-2009, 04:26 PM

15,589 posts, read 11,772,120 times
It looks like we have 4-8 inches on the way...

Old 12-25-2009, 04:38 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,509,030 times
^ where did they say that? I just looked everywhere and all I see is "up to two inches possible".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago