U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-08-2010, 12:06 PM

15,589 posts, read 12,415,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Uptown came through with 4" or so...
Yeah, there appears to be about 4-5 inches by me (which is just south of you.)

This is yet another reason the city needs to restore one of its official weather stations (by the lake) in addition to using the O'Hare and Midway stations.

While out by O'Hare and Midway there may be 8-9 inches,I am fairly certain most of the city has received 4-5 inches from this storm.

Of course, many times the opposite is the case. Areas closer to the lake usually get more snow than outlying parts of the city. So when they measure at O'Hare and they come up with 10 inches or something there often will be 15 inches a few miles into the city. But the official tally will be 10 inches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
For now anyway. Then within a couple days it will get packed down to ice with footprint shapes in it. That's not easy to walk on. Or push a stroller through, or pull a grocery cart over, and if you're wheelchair-bound you're really hosed...
It is unreal. Every year in my neighborhood, I see the same sidewalks go uncleared for days after a storm. Some property owners NEVER bother to clear their sidewalk at all the ENTIRE winter! Something is seriously wrong when sidewalks in front of properties are in such poor shape that I (or anyone else for that matter) has to walk in the street to avoid walking for dozens of feet in front of adjacent properties on treacherous footing.

What adds insult to injury is many (at least in my area) of these sidewalks are in front of properties that are expensive condo buildings and houses, yet these people are too cheap to pay someone to clear their sidewalks for them.

The city would make a mint in Lake View alone off of these lazy/cheap goofs.

================================================== =====================================

What happened to the concept of clearing sidewalks in the city? People in all areas of the city were very good about this the entire time I was growing up and most of my adulthood until the last few years. For some reason it has gone in the other direction (at least in the "hip" and "popular" areas of the city) the last 5 years or so.

Is it that many yuppies,hipsters,and assorted transplants are ignorant,lazy,or just plain selfish asses? It seems the less the number of families there are in a neighborhood the less people clear their sidewalks of snow.

I think it may be time for me to move once again to the bungalow belt.

================================================== ======================================

I never recall Mayor Daley or any other mayor having to make a statement in the past to the people of Chicago asking them to clear their sidewalks. But the mayor did this year.

Clearing sidewalks was an unspoken vow and oath that everyone held. Nobody had to tell anyone to clear their sidewalks. (And if someone had to mention it to you-you were on the neighborhood s*%$-list) It was expected as a property owner and/or resident of a neighborhood that you would take care of these things in one way or the other.

================================================== ================================

Last edited by Avengerfire; 01-08-2010 at 12:35 PM..

Old 01-08-2010, 04:57 PM

781 posts, read 1,317,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
"Violators of the city ordinance can face a $50 fine. Although Mayor Richard M. Daley said people should clear their sidewalks of snow, he said the city won't enforce the ordinance."

Group Asks Chicagoans To Shovel Sidewalks - cbs2chicago.com (http://cbs2chicago.com/local/snow.shoveling.ordinance.2.1412071.html - broken link)

Why not? The city is having major problems with its budget and funding sources. If this was enforced (within reason) every day it snowed there are tens of millions to be made every year.
I agree. LOL, what's the point of announcing you are not going to enforce the ordinance? But yeah when people don't shovel, it causes folks to walk in the street. As a driver, you have to give them a wide enough berth and pray you don't hit a patch of ice that will send your car slamming right into them (or their children who are right in the street with them).

As for yesterday, yeah it was coming down fast and that sh1t was heavy. But if you don't have a snow blower, you just have to go out there multiple times. I can't let it get over 3 inches or my back will be screaming at me so I had to get out there before I went to work and after I came home.

Old 01-08-2010, 08:35 PM

18,970 posts, read 49,568,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkerP View Post
As for yesterday, yeah it was coming down fast and that sh1t was heavy.
Are you kidding? That snow was pure powder, light as could be. I even saw a guy in St. Charles using a snowblower to clear his driveway off!

Old 01-09-2010, 06:16 AM

781 posts, read 1,317,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Are you kidding? That snow was pure powder, light as could be. I even saw a guy in St. Charles using a snowblower to clear his driveway off!
Oh you guys lucked out then because it was that wet, heavy crap out here. I'm on the southside near the lakefront so maybe it was different in St. Charles. Its probably why so many people still haven't shoveled yet, lol

Old 01-10-2010, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkerP View Post
Oh you guys lucked out then because it was that wet, heavy crap out here. I'm on the southside near the lakefront so maybe it was different in St. Charles. Its probably why so many people still haven't shoveled yet, lol
The lake might have generated more moisture, making your snow wetter, thats a good possibility. Our snow out here has been so light this year that I dont even need to brush off the windows. I drive down the street and it blows right off.

Old 01-10-2010, 12:33 PM

It looks like we will getting a few days above freezing for a few days latter in the week! Even possibly some temps in the 40's!

Time to bust out the shorts!

Old 01-10-2010, 02:24 PM

35,926 posts, read 55,214,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
It looks like we will getting a few days above freezing for a few days latter in the week! Even possibly some temps in the 40's!

Time to bust out the shorts!
Maybe I can get some overdue work done on my car without having my fingers refusing to bend because they're basically frozen.

Old 01-10-2010, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Maybe I can get some overdue work done on my car without having my fingers refusing to bend because they're basically frozen.
I hear ya. I tried fussing with my headlight alignment the other night when it was almost 0 degrees... didnt go too well. I gave up after 5 short minutes because my fingers became icicles. Couldnt align them w/o gloves getting in the way, so I froze in short order.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:13 AM

1,464 posts, read 3,642,233 times
Anytime you want to check the snow depth of an area just click here instead of trying to guess how much is on the ground. National Snow Analyses - NOHRSC - The ultimate source for snow information
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago