Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 11:02 AM

955 posts, read 1,832,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnorth View Post
The point is that the defunding of mental health in the U.S. in the 80's has led to a homelessness problem across the country, including Chicago,
When the street people began to multiply, it was as a direct result of cutbacks during the great budget wars in Washington. They we're labeled the "Reaganuts".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2013, 11:10 AM

3,793 posts, read 4,600,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
If you are white, the neighborhood you live in now is almost certainly safer, probably to a significant degree than in the 80s. If you are black, your current neighborhood could be safer, the same, or (much) less safe than in the 80s.
This unfortunately, is an accurate statement. The only neighborhoods that are statistically less safe are the areas around Englewood and Austin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I think your point about the South Side is valid LT
It's not really any more accurate when generalized to the entire South Side than it is when generalized to the entire city. It's only accurate when you look at very specific parts of the South and West sides.

Old 11-17-2013, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by williepotatoes View Post
When the street people began to multiply, it was as a direct result of cutbacks during the great budget wars in Washington. They we're labeled the "Reaganuts".
Precisely.

Old 11-17-2013, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT445 View Post
Is it asking to much to give experiences? Copy and pastes skills are great, but I am just asking you for your experiences in the areas I have mentioned.
Anecdotal evidence means jack sh*t. I could tell you that my anecdotal evidence is consistent with the data, which is true, but that's neither here nor there.

Old 11-17-2013, 11:21 AM

20 posts, read 43,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMonroe View Post
First off I love Chicago, its beautiful as well as the people but the city is over 30 billion dollars in debt, crime at the beginning of the year was lower until mid summer came and brought it back up again. A friend of mine just told me his god brother just got shot in little village neighborhood. I wanted to move back sooo bad! but I don't want to live anywhere were I could get shot at anytime. All those schools closing in the city its just a lot of qualities that worry me a lot. Chicago isn't the same place it was in the 80's (my childhood). Will the city see the same fate as Detroit.
Detroits economy was heavily reliant on one industry: the automobile industry. Thats why when the American automobile industry died, Detroit died with it. Chicagos economy is much more diversified, therefore if one industry fails, it got tons of other ones to lean back on. Besides, unlike Detroit, alot of people actually like Chicago.

Old 11-17-2013, 11:22 AM

144 posts, read 146,161 times
Quote:
Anecdotal evidence means jack sh*t. I could tell you that my anecdotal evidence is consistent with the data, which is true, but that's neither here nor there.

I've seen several upon several posts about poster's experiences. Now that I post mine, it becomes jack s***?

Ok, if it make you feel any better you win.

I have all of my questions directed to you answered.

You were not there and you don't have any experiences to share.

nearnorth, you have a lot of pride and you don't want to admit when you don't have first hand knowledge on a situation or topic.

Old 11-17-2013, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT445 View Post
I've seen several upon several posts about poster's experiences. Now that I post mine, it becomes jack s***?
I was actually referring to MY anecdotal evidence meaning jack....just like yours and everyone else's. Unless they happen to be a representative sample of the population, of course, but there's no need for a sample when we have the complete data readily available.

Old 11-17-2013, 11:43 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Quote:
I'm sorry that you don't consider actual data to be a "point", yet you consider your bizarro distorted viewpoints, backed up by zero data, to somehow be valid. Your lack of ability to process information and use it to reach logical conclusions is not my problem, however.
It is truly sad that someone would dismiss facts, I think it is a sign of our times though. Its extremely disturbing really. Foxesque.

Old 11-17-2013, 11:45 AM

Quote:
I was actually referring to MY anecdotal evidence meaning jack....just like yours and everyone else's. Unless they happen to be a representative sample of the population, of course, but there's no need for a sample when we have the complete data readily available.

I could be wrong, but to me, it seems you think some of us that don't like certain things about Chicago are just taking shots at the city just simply because we don't like certain things about it.
I will say that I am very disappointed in the condition of AA's as a whole in Chicago. I also don't see Chicago as being this wonderland that some of you think it is.

It's not all bad. Chicago has a lot of good colleges and museums. It use to be a fun place for AA's. That doesn't excuse the corruption and the mob mentality. And before you go on a rant about how not everything is connected to the mob, I already know that. Even if the crime is not connected to organized crime, it's still a mob like mentality that causes a lot of people in that city to do what they do.

I think it's unfortunate that your generation depends solely on statistics and information from websites from the internet.

Old 11-17-2013, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
It is truly sad that someone would dismiss facts, I think it is a sign of our times though. Its extremely disturbing really. Foxesque.

Do you honestly feel you are in a position to make that call? In one thread you'll post how you want to help the children of Chicago, and in another thread you'll make a nasty underhanded negative racial remark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago