Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 02:44 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,905,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
I don't look at hipster status when neighborhood shopping. I look for affordability, location, diversity, convenience and walk ability. Too many neighborhoods are overpriced.

I guess because I'm not a hipster and personally don't know of any or anyone who aspires to be. I think I see them on the train but that's it.

Nah, you're a hipster ;-) JK. Most real hipster neighborhoods are affordable. I'm pretty sure there's pockets of neighborhoods in this city that hipsters live in that most people aren't even in tune with

Quote:
None of the areas on the list are areas I would enjoy.
Now this I call bull**** on.

You mention location, affordability, diversity, walk ability above. Have you even been to Albany Park? It's one of the most diverse areas, if not THE most diverse area of town. in fact, that zip code is one of the most diverse in the entire country. Walkability? Yeah has it. Public transit? Albany Park and Lincoln Square (which is more diverse than you think) has a handful of brown line stops in it. Affordable? The average 2 bedroom apartment in Lincoln Square is around $1400/month and I've seen some for $1200 (in fact, my ex girlfriend's place in Lincoln Square/Ravenswood area was this much last summer). It's even less in Albany Park and walkable.

About Albany Park:
Quote:
It has one of highest percentages of foreign-born residents of neighborhoods in Chicago. Although the majority of those foreign-born residents are from Latin America, the majority from Mexico (especially from the state of Michoacán) and Guatemala, substantial numbers are from the Philippines, India, Korea, Cambodia, Somalia, the Former Yugoslavia (Serbia, Croatia, Bosnia), Romania, Pakistan and the Middle East (especially Iraq, Iran, and Lebanon). Over 40 different languages are spoken in its public schools.

Last edited by marothisu; 11-21-2013 at 03:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2013, 04:27 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,419,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post

about albany park:

Albany Park, <3

Old 11-21-2013, 06:40 PM

Albany Park is great..good people (for the most part) and good food too.

Old 11-21-2013, 10:06 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,960,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Now this I call bull**** on.

You mention location, affordability, diversity, walk ability above. Have you even been to Albany Park? It's one of the most diverse areas, if not THE most diverse area of town. in fact, that zip code is one of the most diverse in the entire country. Walkability? Yeah has it. Public transit?

About Albany Park:
I forgot Albany Park. I've always considered it to be Uptown. Yes it is everything I mentioned, I have not considered moving there. It doesn't seem very hipsterish or trendy. It is a cool area.

Old 11-21-2013, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
I forgot Albany Park. I've always considered it to be Uptown. Yes it is everything I mentioned, I have not considered moving there. It doesn't seem very hipsterish or trendy. It is a cool area.
Save Hyde Park and now Bridgeport, the far north side neighborhoods like Albany Park, West Ridge, Rogers Park, Edgewater, and North Park are the most diverse statistically in Chicago. The article really isn't about "hipster" IMO, much as it is about affordable rent in areas that are along public transit where its residents take that to go to work. There are a fair number of artists up in the Albany Park/Lincoln Square/Ravenswood/Andersonville area though on another note (that doesn't mean hipster).

Lincoln Square often does get left out of things with diversity. It's no Albany Park (which is next to it), but I think people think that it is like Lincoln Park and really, really white American. Yeah part might be, but nowhere near a Lincoln Park and while it's over 60% white, it's also about 20% hispanic and over 10% Asian. The thing too is that there is the fair share of those white who are actually from eastern Europe who live there too. I know of a few Eastern European hangouts up there. If you just look at the statistics, you may think that most of the white culture in that area bring the same culture but it's not true.

Old 11-21-2013, 10:36 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,480,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
What does hipster mean at all??
Hipsters are young adults, recently settled in large urban areas, who are preoccupied with nonconformity and authenticity. Hipster is almost always a pejorative label. The more fully one embodies the hipster stereotype, the more frantically he or she denies being a hipster.

Old 11-22-2013, 06:17 AM

1,988 posts, read 2,222,382 times
That's too bad for Chicago.

Old 11-22-2013, 07:37 AM

1,612 posts, read 2,419,471 times
The article is worthless.

They think the most hipster part of NYC is East Rutherford, NJ, which is an anonymous suburb with no hipsters. That tells you all you need to know.

Old 11-22-2013, 07:56 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
The article was not geared toward people trying to choose a location to open a shop selling analog turntables, skinny jeans, retro eyewear and ironic t-shirts, it was a summary of the techniques that are possible to create filters within RealtyTrak so that one can find neighborhoods with a large percentage of younger people that rent and use public transit to commute to work.

That may be useful to folks looking to invest in rental properties.

Old 11-22-2013, 09:02 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
The article was not geared toward people trying to choose a location to open a shop selling analog turntables, skinny jeans, retro eyewear and ironic t-shirts, it was a summary of the techniques that are possible to create filters within RealtyTrak so that one can find neighborhoods with a large percentage of younger people that rent and use public transit to commute to work.

That may be useful to folks looking to invest in rental properties.
Then why not just say so instead of slapping the hackneyed "hipster" cliché on the places thus identified?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago