Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 06:01 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,903,789 times

Advertisements

These are numbers since January 1, 2007:
* North Center - 3. Less than 1/2 per year average. First recorded homicide this year since 2008. Basically a few idiots get in an argument about a weed plant and one of them stabs the other.

* Armour Square (Chinatown) - 5. Less than 1 per year average. Hasn't had one since December 2012.
* Lincoln Park - 6. Less than 1 per year average. Hasn't had one since September 2011. One of those was an iPhone thief at the Fullerton stop who pushed a woman, who happened to fall down the stairs and die from her injuries.

* Loop - 6. Less than 1 per year average. Hasn't had one since May 2011. 4 of those happened in 2008.
* Lincoln Square - 6. Less than 1 per year average. One homicide earlier this year was a woman checking her and her 5 month old son into a hotel and then killing the 5 month old.

* Hyde Park - 8. A little over 1 per year
* Lake View - 11. About 1.5 per year. Hasn't had a homicide since last May.

Then there's others like Edison Park and Mount Greenwood with 0 recorded homicides in that amount of time (since 1/1/2007). Jefferson Park with 5, O'Hare with 1, Forest Glen with 1, Beverly with 3, Clearing with 6, Dunning with 7, Hegewisch with 5, Montclare with 4, North Park with 4, Norwood Park with 4, West Elsdon and Oakland each with 7. Theses are basically an average of 1 or less per year..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2013, 07:16 AM

76 posts, read 147,287 times
Come on another troll on the chicago forum.

Old 12-14-2013, 03:35 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,164,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiVegas View Post
There's no evidence of this. The safest neighborhoods in NYC are generally safer than the safest neighborhoods in Chicago. There are very urban neighborhoods with zero murders in NYC; while in Chicago the equivalent Lincoln Park/Lakeview neighborhoods do have murders.

And this is just a stupid defense mechanism. "Crime in the South Side and West Side doesn't matter because Lincoln Park has very few murders". Crime is crime, and for the purposes of measuring a city's relative crime rate, the city, as a whole, matters.

Everyone knows that crime is variable by location and that there are blocks in Detroit that are relatively safe and blocks in Evanston that are relatively unsafe, but you would have to be crazy to say Detroit is as safe as Evanston because if you pick Block A in Detroit it is as safe as Block B in Evanston.

But, to the thread title, yes, I think downtown Chicago is relatively safe, for an urban area, and I would not have worries.
So when you say that crime in the other municipalities of the New York Metro Area doesn't matter for safe NYC neighborhoods, that's somehow different from a Chicagoan pointing out that crime in far neighborhoods doesn't matter for safe City of Chicago neighborhoods?

Hypocrite.

Old 12-15-2013, 08:41 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,461,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago87 View Post
This seems to be a troll post. I work in Downtown, Chicago and walk around there all the time pretty much every weekday for the past two years. I have never witnessed any crime. If it isn't safe there, I don't know where it is safe then.
Exactly. I think the whole "flash mob" thing is an urban tale.

Old 12-15-2013, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
Exactly. I think the whole "flash mob" thing is an urban tale.
They exist, but the level to which they were written up about in the papers is ridiculous. As a resident of that area, I never even saw any group of black teens beating up or robbing anyone. On July 4, I walked right through a supposed huge flash mob group, according to the news later, and nothing happened to me.

They exist, and most of them just shoplift, but the extent to which they were told about in the papers is ****ing ridiculous. In the end though, robbery is still dumb.

Old 12-15-2013, 09:41 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,326,011 times
Crime is a pretty unintelligent means of enriching one's self, especially the sort of low reward / high likelihood of punishment that often happens in Chicago's busiest tourist districts, though no one is claiming that the petty criminals that do engage in these activities are other than stupid. Trying to leverage any sort of "distraction" has been part of the street criminals' far longer than there have been "social media" -- pick pockets have used the chaos of bazaars / marketplaces as far back as recorded history!
The fact that these "mobs" are rarely more than an annoyance to folks that live in the area does not diminish the fact that for folks that do have their cell phones snatched or businesses that loose customers during the ensuing chaos, however short lived they may be, suffer real losses and it is completely understand that news outlets would choose to cover such crime. The frequency with which CPD can bust up these things before any thefts / thuggery results is directly related to how much personnel can be assigned to these things AND how much risk CPD is willing to accept by pulling officers from other areas...

Old 12-16-2013, 07:20 AM

1,988 posts, read 2,222,189 times
I think Rocky wrote the Chicago Stay Safe Wikitravel bit.

Chicago travel guide - Wikitravel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikitravel
Chicago is a big city with big city problems. The majority of the city's violent crimes occur within a very large number of neighborhoods, both on and off the beaten path in the North, West, and South Sides, and given the chance nature of crime, you should exercise extreme precautions wherever you go.

The city caught international media attention for an uptick in homicides in 2012 with an official count of 506 that year. Especially with flashmob violence rising tremendously throughout the city. Some violence is gang-on-gang violence, but the overwhelming majority of violence as of 2012-13 is against tourists and innocent people.

More dangerous still is the massive and extensive attacks of flash mobs on people throughout the city, especially within the Loop area and neighborhoods adjoining and near the Loop area (sometimes as far west as the Austin neighborhood or as far south as the Chatham neighborhood.) Numerous attacks occur daily, even against the CTA, school campuses, and even against uniformed police officers.

There are, in fact, very few neighborhoods of the city proper, located on the far north side and on the southwest side near Midway Airport that are safe from violence, including the Rogers Park area on the far north side.

Old 12-16-2013, 07:55 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,326,011 times
If that site is like regular Wikipedia one ought to be able to : a) register to make edits to the information b) provide links to data that shows the true story c) alert moderators that the information is inaccurate

Might be worth it, frankly a little surprised that there are folks that work for the City / tourism trade groups trying to correct the falsehoods.

Old 12-16-2013, 08:03 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,672,141 times
For Rocky who doesn't appear to be the brightest.

Despite Headlines, Chicago Crime At Lowest Levels In Decades « CBS Chicago

This graph shows crime rates from the 1960s to this year. It seems like a lot of people don't understand that concept, so if you need an explanation, I would be happy to help.

http://cbschicago.files.wordpress.co...rime_index.png

Old 12-16-2013, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Rothstein View Post
I think Rocky wrote the Chicago Stay Safe Wikitravel bit.

Chicago travel guide - Wikitravel
That is really bad and not accurate. I almost feel compelled to edit this with more useful and accurate information. The user who edited this is "Conserve". I see he/she basically took out a paragraph too explaining how there are safe parts of Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago