Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2013, 10:22 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,909,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
The Chicago Magazine article lays out a pretty convincing argument that Rauner was extremely influential in Rahm temporarily leaving poltical employ to quickly become a millionaire by trading access to the insiders for dollars at Wasserella -- a highly distasteful practice that strongly suggests Rauner lis ess a reform candidate than the kind of craven insider that has no qualms about getting rich on deals that skim a whole lot money from the public coffers to fatten up the already wealthy. Precisely the kind of "wealthy individual" that the last round of FBI probes ended up putting behind bars...
I'm speechless--is Chet ONCE AGAIN betraying his beloved corporate cronies, and taking a decidely-populist stance? They are lacing up hockey skates in Hell this morning..and the chorus of angels is singing Hosannas in Heaven...

Chet might get immediate admission--no waiting with St. Pete chewing the fat at the pearly gates...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2013, 11:39 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,339,930 times
Default Hold your drama...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
I'm speechless--is Chet ONCE AGAIN betraying his beloved corporate cronies, and taking a decidely-populist stance? They are lacing up hockey skates in Hell this morning..and the chorus of angels is singing Hosannas in Heaven...

Chet might get immediate admission--no waiting with St. Pete chewing the fat at the pearly gates...
Show me any posts that EVER show me advocating for anything other than honest government. It is not honest to be a "populist" who is merely wearing a a Carhart coat while sucking in millions off sweetheart deals nor is it honest to to favor "corporate cronies" when in a state like Illinois that means lining up hand outs for those with connections while sticking it to all of regular suckers.

Illinois has some of the stupidest voters around, routinely punching the ballot for whatever worthless moron is on the printed handouts that king maker committeemen circulate. That sort of behavior has given rise to a parade of croaks and do-nothing office holders that quite literally inherit their cushy offices and then do little more than vote themselves and their pals unbelievably generous salaries and benefits while gerrymandering voter districts to ensure lifetime power.

Another thing that Rauner claims to back is "term limits" but unless that also includes some kind of overhaul that keeps election funds from being a new replacement for elective tenure there is no real benefit to anyone other that those who like new faces sitting up the huge campaign war chests... Rauner forms PAC to push term limits - Chicago Tribune

Tellingly one thing that Rauner is not actively backing is an effort to get polticians out of the redistricting effort, and I suppose if that means that real power is given not to some new little clique of connected judges or appointed pals of politicians the payoff could be a positive, but best case that won't matter until after the 2020 census. Here's why that ought to be a priority Our View: Redistricting reform first - News - Journal Star - Peoria, IL

Last edited by chet everett; 11-29-2013 at 11:47 AM..

Old 11-29-2013, 11:52 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,909,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Show me any posts that EVER show me advocating for anything other than honest government. It is not honest to be a "populist" who is merely wearing a a Carhart coat while sucking in millions off sweetheart deals nor is it honest to to favor "corporate cronies" when in a state like Illinois that means lining up hand outs for those with connections while sticking it to all of regular suckers.

Illinois has some of the stupidest voters around, routinely punching the ballot for whatever worthless moron is on the printed handouts that king maker committeemen circulate. That sort of behavior has given rise to a parade of croaks and do-nothing office holders that quite literally inherit their cushy offices and then do little more than vote themselves and their pals unbelievably generous salaries and benefits while gerrymandering voter districts to ensure lifetime power.

Another thing that Rauner claims to back is "term limits" but unless that also includes some kind of overhaul that keeps election funds from being a new replacement for elective tenure there is no real benefit to anyone other that those who like new faces sitting up the huge campaign war chests... Rauner forms PAC to push term limits - Chicago Tribune

Tellingly one thing that Rauner is not actively backing is an effort to get polticians out of the redistricting effort, and I suppose if that means that real power is given not to some new little clique of connected judges or appointed pals of politicians the payoff could be a positive, but best case that won't matter until after the 2020 census. Here's why that ought to be a priority Our View: Redistricting reform first - News - Journal Star - Peoria, IL
What's that old Chicago machine-driven slogan: "We don't want nobody nobody sent"---i.e. need organizational stamp of approval...going back to the days of Cermak, Daley I etc...

The more I read from this forum, the more I'm convinced that Rauner is a Romney Mini-Me, and you can bet that he'd "re-evaluate" term limits if he were the one being affected...

Last edited by MassVt; 11-29-2013 at 12:43 PM..

Old 11-29-2013, 12:25 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,252,946 times
I would much rather see a farmer, or other outsider, in the governors chair than a flim-flam man who hides money in off-shore shell accounts and denies it. The super-rich have no interest in the people who elected them. They never tried to bridge the gap and build a relationship with "them". They belong to Skull and Bones, and other secret societies only for the silver-spoon wealthy . They cannot define poverty without a dictionary. Crime is no worry as long as it is NIMBY! Their opinion is the same for racism, unions, and other pressing social issues. I cannot remember a governor who was not Chicago white bread if not by birth it was by association.

It would be novel to have a governor who likes children. It would be novel to have a governor who thinks children should not die trying to cross the highway in front of their school. It would be novel to have a governor that thinks everyone in Illinois should have a fair shake. This person has not yet been born. It's been too dull in Springfield. It's time to send another "helmet man" downstate to liven things up.

Old 11-29-2013, 10:37 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,914,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I would totally vote republican in a heartbeat if they'd stop with all their social stances and trying to run everyone's personal lives.
So would about 59% of the rest of the voters. That number is from a recent survey. I think it's a winning strategy :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago