Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 01:06 AM

8 posts, read 42,579 times

Advertisements

Okay so I am from Honolulu, HI and I am majoring in Marketing. I want to move to the mainland for economic opportunities and Chicago attracts me for many reasons. I did my research and it is one of the top cities in the United States that pays above the national average for Marketing jobs, the University of Chicago also has a very good business school and I would like to do my graduate program there if it will open up huge opportunities. I also read that Chicago is one of the top ten cities in the World that is economically powerful. With all of this said it sounds too good to be true but I hear bad things about Chicago and I need to confirm if its true. Besides the awful extreme weather you guys experience I heard racism is still a problem in Chicago. Although the city is well diversed it is still seggregated and it will be difficult for a minority to purchase a home. I am of mix race but I pull more of my Asian roots, I would like to buy an apartment in the gold coast of Chicago but I heard it will be impossible to buy one if I am not White even if I qualify to buy. Is this true? also are the salaries high in Chicago?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2013, 01:52 AM

180 posts, read 377,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American JP View Post
Okay so I am from Honolulu, HI and I am majoring in Marketing. I want to move to the mainland for economic opportunities and Chicago attracts me for many reasons. I did my research and it is one of the top cities in the United States that pays above the national average for Marketing jobs, the University of Chicago also has a very good business school and I would like to do my graduate program there if it will open up huge opportunities. I also read that Chicago is one of the top ten cities in the World that is economically powerful. With all of this said it sounds too good to be true but I hear bad things about Chicago and I need to confirm if its true. Besides the awful extreme weather you guys experience I heard racism is still a problem in Chicago. Although the city is well diversed it is still seggregated and it will be difficult for a minority to purchase a home. I am of mix race but I pull more of my Asian roots, I would like to buy an apartment in the gold coast of Chicago but I heard it will be impossible to buy one if I am not White even if I qualify to buy. Is this true? also are the salaries high in Chicago?

It's not that bad....ironically I hear racism is 10x worse in Hawaii.

Old 11-30-2013, 05:05 AM

3,398 posts, read 6,078,038 times
There's racism everywhere, Chicago isn't any worse than it is anywhere else.

As for salaries, yes, Chicago may have a higher salary but the cost of living is also higher.

Old 11-30-2013, 05:55 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,986,531 times
My experience in 3 states and the District of Columbia is that people want to live around other people of the same income level. That trumps race, ethnicity, religion and sexual preference.

Old 11-30-2013, 05:57 AM

12 posts, read 17,830 times
I DO NOT live in Chicago, but have strong doubts that you will be prevented from buying a condo in the Gold Coast. Where did you hear this? Where is Marothisu? I think he's mixed Caucasian/Asian or Middle Eastern, but anyway, he lives in the area. I don't know if he owns his condo but I remember him saying his complex is very diverse. I'm sure at least one of those minority races purchased in the building.

Racism is everywhere. Don't let it stop you from accomplishing your goals. Good luck

Old 11-30-2013, 07:23 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,180,873 times
Quote:

It's not 1960 anymore. Where did you hear that? I'm pretty sure a qualified person who wanted to buy in the Gold Coast would we more than welcomed if he's of Asian mixed race. I think black people see the most problems, but my friends husband is black and they bought a condo right there 5 years ago and had absolutely no problems. It's more about economics and money than skin tone in a lot of cases, they just happen to have some correlation a lot of the time.

Old 11-30-2013, 08:42 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,903,789 times
Quote:
It's true that Chicago is economically powerful for sure, but of course a lot of you landing a job depends on your credentials just like any other city. As far as the racism thing goes? Well, I'll just say that yes some does exist in town here, but I think most of it is for black/African American and some for Hispanic. I would say that Asian people are viewed pretty positively in town here. My last girlfriend was from Asia (we were an interracial couple) and not once did we get **** for anything and she never once complained about racism towards her in town. Just wasn't an issue to her. The only trouble you may have is that if you look very Asian, it may be harder for you to date a caucasian woman, but I have met my fair share of caucasian or mixed women who like Asian men. However, it's not as popular as in other cities.

The thing about buying/renting in the Gold Coast and having trouble because you're Asian is complete and utter bull****. That is illegal for one, and two people don't care. I am a resident of the Gold Coast and not only have many Asian people moved into my building in the last year or two, but I have noticed a lot more in the area on a daily basis (Gold Coast, River North, etc). This isn't the 1950s anymore. Furthermore, the area has the stereotype of being older but that is changing, at least in certain areas. More and more younger (20s and 30s) people are moving into the area for its proximity to the Loop (Central Business District) and other businesses in River North area (just north of the Loop). The area north of Division Street is perhaps the last "stronghold" for older people. There are many rowhomes there and some mansions that cost a lot. Most of the people who can afford these multi million dollar homes are older. The rent of apartments in other areas, and for the high rises north of Division (which does have younger people in it) is feasible for younger people with pretty good jobs. There's even a 35 story rental building being built near me and I read in a business journal a few months ago that they're specifically targeting "young professionals" who live in the Loop and River North to rent from them.

Salaries can be high, but that's all relative to cost of living in the end. Honolulu is still more expensive than Chicago. You can definitely earn enough in Chicago depending on your job to be very comfortable. Many are like that, and some even more than others.

Last edited by marothisu; 11-30-2013 at 09:00 AM..

Old 11-30-2013, 08:48 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,903,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagabonda View Post
Where is Marothisu? I think he's mixed Caucasian/Asian or Middle Eastern, but anyway, he lives in the area. I don't know if he owns his condo but I remember him saying his complex is very diverse. I'm sure at least one of those minority races purchased in the building.
HAHAHA! Yep, see my response above. I am in an apartment complex currently, but in the end if you were to buy, it depends on economics. Especially in a high rise, who the hell would care about who's buying their condo as long as they have the money? Not to mention it's illegal to deny someone anything based on race in the US. I even have friends who are from the Middle East (i.e. Saudi Arabia, Yemen) who live in Gold Coast who haven't had problems. I have one friend in the process of moving to a new building in the area and I'm helping him. Racism wasn't even a concern of his when being accepted into a new place, and people from his country (and he is decently obviously from that country) aren't viewed very well in the US.

Old 11-30-2013, 12:36 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,860,948 times
Quote:

Although the city is well diversed it is still seggregated and it will be difficult for a minority to purchase a home. I am of mix race but I pull more of my Asian roots, I would like to buy an apartment in the gold coast of Chicago but I heard it will be impossible to buy one if I am not White even if I qualify to buy. Is this true?
That is absurd. No one cares about your race/ethnicity if you have the cash. I live in a high rise on the Gold Coast and there are people of every race in my building and it is simply not an issue.

Old 11-30-2013, 03:57 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,567,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagobear View Post
That is absurd. No one cares about your race/ethnicity if you have the cash. I live in a high rise on the Gold Coast and there are people of every race in my building and it is simply not an issue.
That's simply not true. Just ask the black couple that wanted to purchase a large mansion in Bridgeport a couple of years back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago