Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 05:24 PM

590 posts, read 1,012,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
I had dinner there last night. Probably better to have waited a week or two. A 90 minute wait for dinner and the house-made pasta I had in the pasta restaurant section was actually kinda disappointing - pappardelle that was thick and kinda gummy, nothing like the silky smooth ones I've had at Ceres' Table or other fine Italian places, and the mushroom ragu was more like a cream sauce than a ragu. I make a mean ragu myself, so I'm always on the lookout for places that do it better than me so I can improve. This place didn't give me that help.

But all the staff were friendly and the service good, and the food for purchase looked to be good all around. I bought some fresh squid ink pasta that I may eat tonight, too.
Yeah, I read your review on that place and your experience. You know, these huge places with 20 restaurants inside sometimes take time to get it right, I guess size works a bit against quality. And plus, it was opening night, so I am sure they prepared a lot of stuff way in advance expecting a big crowd.

Probably in a couple of months or we'll know how good it is (well, you guys will know, now I am talking like I live in Chicago...). They better do it right though, the name (Mario Bartali) attracts the crowd only for so long in Chicago where there are plenty of great restaurants.

I would love to go to actually buy some things for home (if I'd live there, again), I read that they also have a market with a lot of imported food and wine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 06:04 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,920,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoItaly View Post
I would love to go to actually buy some things for home (if I'd live there, again), I read that they also have a market with a lot of imported food and wine.
Most of the place is a market I think. I heard they have 1000 different kinds of Italian wines there, tons of cheeses, imported jams, breadsticks, etc etc.

Old 12-03-2013, 06:05 PM

590 posts, read 1,012,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Most of the place is a market I think. I heard they have 1000 different kinds of Italian wines there, tons of cheeses, imported jams, breadsticks, etc etc.
Aarrgh!!# man,you're hurting me now

Old 12-03-2013, 06:09 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,920,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoItaly View Post
Aarrgh!!# man,you're hurting me now
haha.

Quote:
Pick up a bottle of the 1000+ varieties of Italian vino, or just sneak your mouth under one of the tapped casks.

13 reasons you should be eating at Eataly right now - Thrillist Chicago

Old 12-04-2013, 06:32 PM

1,225 posts, read 3,229,215 times
OP, I know exactly how you feel.

I just moved to Chicago from Denver a couple months ago. I had a good friend who lived here and used to visit a few times a year. Finally, this year I took the plunge and moved here. I am loving it so far.

Chicago is a great city, and I love how every neighborhood has its own unique feel. I feel like I could live here for years without experiencing all that the city has to offer.

I'm glad you enjoyed your visit!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago