Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2013, 08:54 PM

28 posts, read 80,745 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I had heard through a co-worker from the suburbs that there is a free parking garage near Lincoln and Fullerton that they used this summer for the air and water show. Supposedly when the Childrens hospital moved that the garage is unused and free to access at anytime. Is there any truth to this? I ask because I am hoping to use it as a spot to leave a car for a few days whilst traveling. The vehicle will have out of town plates, so I'm hesitant to leave it in on an unzoned street for a week.

For many reasons, I'd rather not drive to and park at O'hare for a few days (expensive, would rather take public transit anyway, etc...)

I'm not as worried about a break-in or anything, more so any unknown parking rules that may arise if there is a heavy snow. When I lived in Milwaukee your car could not be on most streets if the 4 inch rule was put into effect (they tow everything in sight), and I once got a bulls*** ticket for not clearing snow off my car within a day of the initial snowfall (there was so much snow on the street that there was no way I was driving anywhere, but I still got a ticket for not clearing my car!)

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2013, 01:55 PM

I hate to bump, but other searches have not helped me out on this. Any thoughts from this community?

Old 12-05-2013, 01:58 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,370,617 times
Wish I could help, sister worked at old Childrens but now has affilation at another downtown hospital.

Guess all the car-hating transit nuts are unable to provide input...

Old 12-05-2013, 02:12 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,683,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Wish I could help, sister worked at old Childrens but now has affilation at another downtown hospital.

Guess all the car-hating transit nuts are unable to provide input...
You are correct at least in terms this car hating transit nut. I have no clue. I doubt it's free though.

Old 12-05-2013, 02:46 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,370,617 times
Default On principle I would agree...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
You are correct at least in terms this car hating transit nut. I have no clue. I doubt it's free though.
The potential for something really awful to happen to either property or people seems off the charts if literally there is nothing to stop anyone from just using this however they want. I mean it would be one thing if the building owner did this as one time thing for some big festival but if the garage is truly "free" for the OP to use in the manner they want...

Old 12-06-2013, 11:08 AM

Ok thanks. It was probably right to assume it was just open for that weekend.

Old 12-06-2013, 04:21 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Last time I drove by it (a couple months ago maybe?) the entrance to the garage was fenced off. Maybe they do open it for special events when they expect to get enough paying customers to make it worth their while to staff it.

Old 11-29-2014, 01:51 PM

To revive an old thread, but provide help:

This garage, on Lincoln just south of Fullerton at the light before Belden, is free five-hour parking daily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: