Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 11:46 AM

66 posts, read 104,007 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

I've been living in Chicago for about 4 months now, but I'm preparing to move from my current residence at the beginning of May (I know, kind of early. But to find a place near a train line for a decent price is pretty hard, I suspect).

I currently live about 4 blocks south of State/Madison, so I'm literally in the heart of Chicago. But I hate it. It's too tourist-y and everything closes at 10 or 11. Between being a full-time grad student and working full time, I haven't had much time to go exploring, but once I get some decent suggestions here, I'll make time out of my day to see the neighborhoods.

So, I'm a 27-year old Black male. As stated above, full-time grad student.

I'm looking for:

A rather diverse neighborhood (though not necessarily heavy on the Black population)
Close to a CTA line (I don't like taking buses much)
Something with a little "grit" to it... A sense of a neighborhood (More Wicker Park/Bucktown, less Lakeview)
A decent nightlife
Walkability
<$600 per room per month

On that last point, I'm either going to go the "shared" route on Craigslist or move with one or two people that I currently know into an apartment. I'm not sure yet, but it won't be a studio or 1 bedroom.

To start things off, I've been to Bridgeport and I like it alot (though a bit light on nightlife). I also like Bucktown and South Loop (though SL may be a bit too high on the rent for me).

Ok, I think I've included all relevant information. So what do you guys suggest? Thanks in advance for your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2013, 12:02 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Yuck, living in the Loop and single. Not my idea of fun, but you know there's an area north of you, and a very short train ride away where things close later right?

$600 is pretty cheap though you may be able to find some studios for that price but further out. I'm sure you know you won't be living in luxury for this price, but I had to say it anyway.

My suggestions are this.

1) Look for something further north along the red line in Edgewater or Rogers Park, or Brown line like Albany Park (though the brown line isn't 24/7)

2) Along the blue line in an area like Logan Square or Avondale or Ukrainian Village/East Village/Noble Square (but I'm pretty sure there's more 2+ bedrooms available there than studio/1 bedroom).
3) A little south of where you are in an area like Chinatown (Armour Square) which is on the Red Line. Not a lot of drinking nightlife, but there's a good number of food places that are open late (until or after midnight) and some of these food places have small bars. Plus it's on the red line so you can easily just go to some other areas anyway.
4) You could always bite the bullet and go to areas like Bridgeport or Pilsen or even somewhere like McKinley Park SW of Bridgeport. Not tons of nightlife but not bad areas at all.

Just a quick look and here's a few examples
* Edgewater - 5511 N Kenmore Ave APT 304, Chicago, IL 60640 is For Rent - Zillow
* Rogers Park - View 6 photos of this $600/mo ... Chicago, IL 60660 is For Rent - Zillow
* Albany Park - 4804 N Kedzie Ave APT 101, Chicago, IL 60625 is For Rent - Zillow
* Edgewater - http://www.rent.com/illinois/chicago...ville-4-500187
* Edgewater - http://www.rent.com/illinois/chicago...throp-4-472928

etc

Of course, with roommates, you can get cheaper. I have an acquaintance who lives in Ukrainian Village in a place that's damn near luxury and less than 10 years old and pays $600/month for it. It's a giant 4 bedroom place. Prices are increasing in that area though, but hey you never know...

Side note: Not really sure why you singled Lakeview out of the picture for neighborhoody. In some parts it is in fact more neighborhoody than Wicker Park/Bucktown.

Old 12-14-2013, 01:03 PM

marothisu Thanks, you always have great insight. Single and living in the Loop does suck, but I do go up to Streeterville frequently. (I think that's what it's called. Red Line, Chicago stop)

It might've been the part of Lakeview that I was in -- though I can't remember -- but it just wasn't my ideal neighborhood. I'm sure it's great for some though. Plus, I think it'll be out of my price range anyway.

I keep hearing great things about UK Village. I think I'm going to head over there tomorrow and just take a look around to see what kind of neighborhood it is.

I really want to check Rogers Park out, but it's like a 40 minute train ride to the Loop. It would definitely have to be the perfect neighborhood and place to do that daily. I think it may be worth it regardless.

What do you, or anyone else, think about neighborhoods like Pilsen, Bridgeport, West Loop, etc. that may not have the greatest reputation?

Old 12-14-2013, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillers View Post
marothisu Thanks, you always have great insight. Single and living in the Loop does suck, but I do go up to Streeterville frequently. (I think that's what it's called. Red Line, Chicago stop)
That's actually on the border of Gold Coast and River North. That's my stop on the red line

Quote:
It might've been the part of Lakeview that I was in -- though I can't remember -- but it just wasn't my ideal neighborhood. I'm sure it's great for some though. Plus, I think it'll be out of my price range anyway.
Are you sure you were actually in Lakeview? Lakeview is very neighborhoody in most parts. There's almost nothing touristy about it other than Wrigley Field. Even some of the bars/restaurants in Wrigleyville aren't that touristy (a few are). I mean if you were to pick neighborhoods that were neighborhoody, it would definitely be one of them. Not even close to a question about it.

If you were to look at anywhere there, I'd look at the eastern section of it around Broadway, north of Diversey. It's not MAJORLY racially diverse, but it has some diversity and there's a ton of different types of food places there. Some bars, not a ton, but you aren't that far from any of that stuff. You may get lucky with a studio, but you'd probably need to get roommates to make that area work, or north of Irving Park Rd in Uptown (just north is called Buena Park). Uptown is pretty diverse. There's a few shady areas of Uptown and the rent is cheap in those areas as well with some in your price range.

Quote:
I keep hearing great things about UK Village. I think I'm going to head over there tomorrow and just take a look around to see what kind of neighborhood it is.
It's quiet and cheaper than some other areas with some good stuff but a few streets have a lot on them (i.e. Chicago and Division). The makeup of the actual neighborhood, i.e. how the street and buildings are set up, is not that much different than Wicker Park, Logan Square, Lakeview, Lincoln Park, etc etc.

Quote:
I really want to check Rogers Park out, but it's like a 40 minute train ride to the Loop. It would definitely have to be the perfect neighborhood and place to do that daily. I think it may be worth it regardless.

What do you, or anyone else, think about neighborhoods like Pilsen, Bridgeport, West Loop, etc. that may not have the greatest reputation?
Don't want to sound like a debbie downer, but with a $600/month budget, you don't have a *ton* of room to be picky. Luckily you can get rent in some decent neighborhoods and others ones I haven't mentioned that are more quiet but on train lines like Irving Park. West Loop you cannot afford and it has a great reputation. Now, Near West Side west of West Loop maybe in a few places. If you want to, look around Illinois-Chicago university and areas around there like Little Italy.

Pilsen and Bridgeport are fine. Transitioning neighborhoods kind of. Bridgeport historically was a terrible, terrible place for a black person to even think about living. Funny now because it's one of the most mixed areas of town, but still not a lot of black people there (large Asian population has come). It's probably much better now than it used to be, I think, but just keep that in mind. Pilsen is probably better in that aspect. I like Pilsen as there is a lot of good, cheap/cheap-ish food (not of the American kind usually) and there's artistic things there. New things are opening there, it's still cheap for rent when you can find it, and while there isn't tons of nightlife, there is some.

I wouldn't say either of these places is great for post 10pm food though. Areas like UK VIllage, Logan Square, Avondale, Lakeview, etc are better in that aspect in some areas.

Old 12-14-2013, 07:01 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,590,000 times
For grittiness and you may like the area -

What about the Clybourn Corridor (Clyborn area around North AVenue going north to maybe Fullerton.)

What about Fulton District, or what about the area east of the United Center.

Chinatown?

30th and Halsted which is fairly less expensive and trendy and i hear creative people live there. (Bridgeport)

Lincoln Square

Roscoe Village

Ashland and Irving Park area (St Bens)

actually anything on Ashland and about Fullerton.

Old 12-16-2013, 02:52 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,918,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
For grittiness and you may like the area -

What about the Clybourn Corridor (Clyborn area around North AVenue going north to maybe Fullerton.)

What about Fulton District, or what about the area east of the United Center.

Chinatown?

30th and Halsted which is fairly less expensive and trendy and i hear creative people live there. (Bridgeport)

Lincoln Square

Roscoe Village

Ashland and Irving Park area (St Bens)

actually anything on Ashland and about Fullerton.
Clybourn Corridor, Lincoln Square, Roscoe Village, St Bens (North Center), and Ashland and Fullerton are about the least gritty, and dare I say whitest, neighborhoods in the city. They're beautiful areas, but I think the OP was looking for something quite different.

Old 12-20-2013, 11:02 PM

115 posts, read 103,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillers View Post

Have you thougth about something south such as roosevelt from Michigan to Canal?

Old 12-21-2013, 01:06 AM

5,738 posts, read 5,443,536 times
You said you want nightlife, easy train access, and sub $600 rent.... Logan Square or Uptown it is. I like Pilsen better than either of these but you might have to suck it up and learn bus routes.

Old 12-21-2013, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
I like Pilsen better than either of these but you might have to suck it up and learn bus routes.
It's not 24/7, but the Pink Line runs through Pilsen and will get you to the Loop in around 15 minutes.

Old 12-21-2013, 08:08 AM

Thanks to all that have replied. When I say $600 for rent, it won't be a studio or 1 bedroom. I meant $600 per person in a 2 or 3 bedroom (so $1200 - $1800). I don't know if that makes a difference or not. I've been checking out ads, and I just don't know enough about the city yet to know where to zone in on.

From everything that I've read, and places that I've been, I think I'll focus on:

Pilsen
Avondale
Logan Square
UK Village
Andersonville
Bucktown
Humboldt Park (not too far west from Western though)

I'll check out Lakeview since I'm there so much as it is. I probably got the wrong idea about it since I've only seen Lakeview in the daylight once, haha.

Ok, I think I have a pretty good list here. Does anyone have something else to add now that I mentioned I'll be living with roommates?

Again, thanks all!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago