Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 06:06 PM

120 posts, read 210,489 times

Advertisements

I found a great deal on a junior 1 bedroom condo (renting) on Lakeshore and am curious about the area. I know Boystown is known for the LGBT scene, which I am not a part of. Are the bars in that area geared more towards that crowd? What's the food scene like? Any hidden gems I should be aware of? Any and all tips are welcome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2013, 07:31 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,862,711 times
Boystown is centered on Halsted while Wrigleyville is down Clark and Sheffield and has an enormous amount of heterosexually oriented nightlife. Hard to imagine a better area for a presumably twentysomething straight single guy.

Old 12-21-2013, 07:55 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesolution View Post
I found a great deal on a junior 1 bedroom condo (renting) on Lakeshore and am curious about the area. I know Boystown is known for the LGBT scene, which I am not a part of. Are the bars in that area geared more towards that crowd? What's the food scene like? Any hidden gems I should be aware of? Any and all tips are welcome!
There are pretty much three kind of distinct areas as you move west from the lake to the Addison Red Line stop. First, you should know that Lakeshore & Addison is near the red line, but still 1/2 mile away.

With that being said, the main commercial/activity strips are Broadway, Halsted, and Sheffield/Clark.

Broadway is closest to Lakeshore and has a fairly big variety of types of places (mainly food and some shopping), especially as you move south of Addison (north too of course, just not as much as south). People here seem to be more mature with their drinking, so the area is quiet with noise, but there's always a lot of people out mainly eating, and some drinking. Some cool shops there too. Bars are more neighborhood type of bars here.

West of that is Halsted, which is the main LGBT street. Not everything on there is LGBT themed, but there's a lot that is and places that support it. A decent amount of nightlife, and some good food places. Nightlife places really - LGBT bars, clubs, and lounges. As a straight guy, I always have fun at these places too and it can be pretty easy to meet women there too. Still has a decent amount of variety in what you can do there. While there are a lot of LGBT people living in that area, the above area also has a lot too. Not necessarily business (though they support it) but the residents. It's an interesting mix of personalities.

Sheffield and Clark near Addison is near Wrigley Field, so you have a lot of sports bars and a good amount of frat type of people hanging out there. The area can be loud on the weekends and a **** show, as you can maybe imagine. As you move south on these streets after about Roscoe St, things get less sportsy and a little more diverse in the business. Belmont is still a little bit alternative of an area. There's also an old LGBT club near the Belmont train stop, though it's fun for anybody really.

It's safe to say there's a good amount of good food in the area..and maybe even bars if you're into any of these things mentioned.

Old 12-21-2013, 12:56 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,190,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesolution View Post
To be overly simplistic, east of the Addison stop would be the Boystown sphere of influence and west of the Addison stop is the Wrigleyville sphere of influence.

If you're living off the inner drive near Addison, then you're going to be more in the Boystown sphere of influence, but it's not going to be like you're actually living between all the bars on Halsted or anything. Broadway is going to have a lot of places to eat and the grocery stores, and the crowd is fairly mixed gay and straight. The mix of gay and straight applies to some of the bars and businesses on Broadway as well, and not just the crowd.

Broadway is far more quiet at night in terms of nightlife in comparison to Halsted and Clark, so if you're straight and want an active nightlife I would recommend walking over to Wrigleyville.

Old 12-25-2013, 08:46 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,443,536 times
I'd avoid that train stop during Cubs season. It's a madhouse and many people who consider themselves well-to-do and civilized have no qualms over acting like disgusting trash when they're in that vicinity during and after Cubs games. I'd learn the Lake Shore Drive express bus routes.

Old 12-25-2013, 10:34 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
The train sucks during the season, but there's many people commuting home on it. Thinking that it's all people going to the baseball game, or for that fact even over 50% would be false, at least in my experience of commuting home almost everyday. Some of the bus routes are terrible too. I've never taken the LSD express route on gameday though, but I know they're popular anyway whether it's the season or not.

While the area around Wrigley on gameday can be a **** show, it only extends east by a block or two with the people. After that, especially once you hit Halsted (Boystown) it goes back to normal.

Old 08-14-2015, 07:35 PM

1,085 posts, read 2,292,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
I'd avoid that train stop during Cubs season. It's a madhouse and many people who consider themselves well-to-do and civilized have no qualms over acting like disgusting trash when they're in that vicinity during and after Cubs games. I'd learn the Lake Shore Drive express bus routes.
Sports (combined with copious alcohol) does have the tendency to bring the stupid out in people. Well, at least the Cubs are actually good now.

Personally, I'd rather live closer to Belmont than Addison - just b/c you'd be able to get an express train immediately.

Old 08-14-2015, 07:38 PM

1,258 posts, read 2,447,289 times
It's safe but you will no doubt be at ground zero for the douchey-est empty minded people in Chicago.

When you drive home late at night you will regularly have to stop for herds of "bros" crossing the street, much like herds of sheep that meander aimlessly across a road. If you decide to use your horn you will only agitate them, and they will respond with a variety of empty flourishes in an attempt to assert their alpha male masculinity. Common flourishes include raising of the arms in an attempt to look large and menacing, or wild gesticulations with the hands that imitate south-side gang symbol throwing. They are, for the most part only a nuisance, and are considered harmless to other men, but women should not be left alone with them, and you should lock your door at night to prevent drunken bros from inadvertently entering your home.

Last edited by pete6032; 08-14-2015 at 07:50 PM..

Old 08-14-2015, 09:21 PM

846 posts, read 1,400,926 times
When I worked off the Addison stop, I would Divvy to another station just to have more sanity during Cubs season.

I now work slightly south of there and it's annoying, at best. Maybe my annoyance radar is slightly higher because it's Cubs season which means herds of people what seems like all the time. There are tons of bars, of all types, everywhere. If that's your thing, you'll love it.

Old 08-15-2015, 12:56 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Zombie thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago