Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2014, 11:29 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleking View Post
FWIW I've never seen dibs in action around Uptown/Edgewater despite being super dense and short on parking
I saw it happen fairly frequently when I lived in Andersonville.

I don't share CTN's optimism that the practice is going away any time soon. I don't think anything but an aggressive program by the city to remove crap from the street as soon as it gets put out will put a significant dent in the practice, and I doubt they'll divert the resources to the task. And I wish it only took a little cooperation from a couple neighbors to end the practice. What I've witnessed over the last couple years is whenever myself or one or two of the neighbors shovel out a bunch of spots, people who didn't lift a finger to clear them swoop in and take them, often leaving their cars there for days rather than risk giving them up and having to shovel out a spot of their own. One lady even had the nerve to try to claim dibs on a spot that I shoveled.

Just this Sunday I saw two people shoveling out empty spots in the street; some jagmuppet actually pulled into one of the spots they had just cleared, and instead of getting out and showing some gratitude by grabbing a shovel and helping, he just walked away without a single word while the other two were still shoveling away. Why they didn't completely bury his car in an 8-foot mound of snow removed from the other spots, I'll never know. If I were one of those guys out there busting my ass, that car would be encased in a frozen glacier until March. Unfortunately I'm getting too old and too fat to be doing anything more than the couple hours of shoveling I'd already done that day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2014, 12:14 PM

1,520 posts, read 2,574,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post

I don't share CTN's optimism that the practice is going away any time soon. I don't think anything but an aggressive program by the city to remove crap from the street as soon as it gets put out will put a significant dent in the practice, and I doubt they'll divert the resources to the task. And I wish it only took a little cooperation from a couple neighbors to end the practice. What I've witnessed over the last couple years is whenever myself or one or two of the neighbors shovel out a bunch of spots, people who didn't lift a finger to clear them swoop in and take them, often leaving their cars there for days rather than risk giving them up and having to shovel out a spot of their own. One lady even had the nerve to try to claim dibs on a spot that I shoveled.

Just this Sunday I saw two people shoveling out empty spots in the street; some jagmuppet actually pulled into one of the spots they had just cleared, and instead of getting out and showing some gratitude by grabbing a shovel and helping, he just walked away without a single word while the other two were still shoveling away. Why they didn't completely bury his car in an 8-foot mound of snow removed from the other spots, I'll never know. If I were one of those guys out there busting my ass, that car would be encased in a frozen glacier until March. Unfortunately I'm getting too old and too fat to be doing anything more than the couple hours of shoveling I'd already done that day.
I think the density comment above is a pretty fair explanation.

Old 01-08-2014, 01:52 PM

1,312 posts, read 1,870,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvernsey View Post
Apparently nobody told me about the snow parking fiasco in Chicago before I moved here or maybe I would not have. I live in a street parking area where there are more cars than spots, and my street and all adjacent streets are lined with people's junk blocking their supposedly dug out spots. I drove up and down all streets last night after coming home from work and eventually moved someone's stuff and parked. Of course the 'owner' of the spot lived in the adjacent house (go figure) and came out immediately and starting yelling "Senor" as I walked away. Surely nothing more than opportunism to save a spot on a busy street for the working husband. Of course when I left in the morning, I didn't mark the spot that I left behind yesterday or today. I plan on moving someone's crap every day until the snow melts or someone does something about it.

I am currently in a cast with a broken arm, I drive a luxury car in a less than luxury area and I leave early for work and come home late. I'm sure I am setting myself up for failure here but I don't see any other options. I am thinking about putting a craigslist ad out to pay cash for someone with a truck to come pick all of this crap up. Times are tough and I'd pay like $60 just to do my street and it wouldn't take more than 20 minutes. I'm sure a few days in a row of trash removal would get the message across.
So let me get this straight, and if I don't get it straight, feel free to correct me:

1. You wouldn't have moved to Chicago if you knew 20ish days a year it would be hard (not easy) to find and keep (FREE!) on street parking?

2. Are you aware there is the CTA? This isn't Indianapolis. Public transit is a great option to get where you need to go, especially the Loop. Some lines run 24/7, some 20-21/7, some 16ish/7?

3. Are you aware you can reserve cabs, and they will pick you up at the time you need them to? Surely someone who drives a luxury car but lives in a less than luxury area could afford to reserve a cab to get to work, and hail one to get back.

4. Are you aware you could do what I do, and not move your car from your spot (just keep you car clear of snow), use the CTA, and wait for the snow to melt and not worry about "dibs"?

5. You think it is wise for someone with a luxury car to drive said luxury car in the craptastic weather we've had lately with only ONE FUNCTIONING ARM? Sure, you could walk to whatever transit is available near you and possibly die in the process… which is sad, don't get me wrong. But you, the one-armed-man, will risk not only your life and the life of your luxury car, but the lives of others as you try to drive one handed in craptastic weather which might require the use of both hands? And the people putting their crap in a space they spent 60+ minutes digging out themselves are the inconsiderate ones? I've never heard of "dibs" losing control on a slick spot, then slamming into, and killing a pedestrian or another driver.

And finally, I think "dibs" is B.S. It's very "Kentucky", in my opinion.

But I'll suck it up, be a Chicagoan, realize sometimes life S------------- on you, and you find another spot, wherever that is. B-------- about it? Sure. But I think what doesn't kill me makes me stronger, and builds character. But apparently jags don't share my view on life.

Old 01-08-2014, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post

No rep available for me to give at this point in time. But don't worry, I will get you later.

Old 01-08-2014, 01:57 PM

526 posts, read 1,058,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantless1 View Post
Well, when their original post says "I own a luxury car in a less than luxury area", they most certainly appear to be an entitled d-bag.

I'm going to guess BMW... the old saying/joke is what is the difference between a porcupine and a BMW? The pricks are on the inside of the BMW... fits OP pretty perfectly
No, he owns a crown vic. HAHAHAHA! That is luxury to him? I guess I can say I own a luxury Kia Rio. HAHA.

Old 01-08-2014, 01:59 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,878,994 times
I think "I own a luxury car in a less than luxury area" is going to walk away with the Phrase Most Used in a Mocking Manner award this year.

Old 01-08-2014, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
I think "I own a luxury car in a less than luxury area" is going to walk away with the Phrase Most Used in a Mocking Manner award this year.
But… but… what about the people who own a luxury bike in a less than luxury area?

Old 01-08-2014, 02:16 PM

3,793 posts, read 4,600,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
I wish the city would clear the streets of people's trash and ticket people they catch leaving trash in the street.
With any luck, they will:

Streets and Sans Crews May Collect Your Dibs | NBC Chicago

Old 01-08-2014, 02:21 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,210,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
It's all luxury around me, but I still don't feel safe. There's a pimped out Escalade that's been staring threateningly at my Volvo.

Old 01-08-2014, 02:37 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,878,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A2DAC1985 View Post
But… but… what about the people who own a luxury bike in a less than luxury area?
Jesse got a lifetime achievement award in that category!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago