Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 08:14 PM

1,225 posts, read 3,229,215 times

Advertisements

I would probably move back to Denver. It's a great place, and while it doesn't offer as much as Chicago from an urban perspective, it's really an under-rated city in many respects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2014, 08:49 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,661,496 times
I left for New York City, because I wanted to live someplace different. It's a testament to what an urban creature I am that it really was different to me. And, really, the only conceivable place Young Coldwine thought to move to.

I returned to Chicago, and after several years was eventually forced to leave for work: Sao Paulo (and sometimes Rio), then Paris, then Los Angeles.

Sao Paulo was undoubtedly the absolute worst of them all. Living in Brasil is like living in everything terrible about the 70's, and I mean in addition to everything else. Outrageous prices-- you think Chicago taxes are bad? Try dealing with a nation run by corrupt nationalists. Tariffs on everything, everything, everything. So nothing gets imported, and you cannot buy anything at home. It becomes something more than an inconvenience when you cannot replace a cellphone, buy clothing, buy a laptop, and the cost of food has tripled between lunch and dinner.

Violence, traffic, crime... I don't even know how to describe some of the things I saw. Like people buying coffee at Starbucks before going up to the favelas to collect bounties for shooting children.

Los Angeles had a sort of Stockholm effect on me after that It was very easy to simply buy all the appearances and trappings of security. I outgrew it quickly once the paranoia went away.

I don't think I would move back to Chicago, but it is really a great place to live. The best city I've ever lived in. And it's where I think of as "home". Maybe if the north sufficiently civilizes the south I'll consider Atlanta or something.

Old 01-10-2014, 08:55 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,920,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
Sao Paulo was undoubtedly the absolute worst of them all. Living in Brasil is like living in everything terrible about the 70's, and I mean in addition to everything else. Outrageous prices-- you think Chicago taxes are bad? Try dealing with a nation run by corrupt nationalists. Tariffs on everything, everything, everything. So nothing gets imported, and you cannot buy anything at home. It becomes something more than an inconvenience when you cannot replace a cellphone, buy clothing, buy a laptop, and the cost of food has tripled between lunch and dinner.
This is what my Brazilian friend says about some cities of Brazil. He always laughs at people who think a place like Chicago is corrupt and was talking about how easy it is to buy away murder in Brazil if you have a few hundred bucks or around $1000. He also talked about a few times where he was chased by a gang of 20 people through the street and had to climb a 3 story building to not get killed, because one of their girlfriends came onto him and they were pissed even though he wasn't the one who approach her.

Old 01-10-2014, 08:56 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,465,125 times
Somewhere else in the midwest, or maybe New Orleans.

Old 01-10-2014, 09:03 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,661,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
Somewhere else in the midwest, or maybe New Orleans.
That's exactly what I was thinking, actually. Not the midwest, but New Orleans. I hate to say it, but Katrina really cleaned the city of its criminal element.

Old 01-10-2014, 09:08 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,465,125 times
New Orleans has a lot of culture, which I like. Plus, unless I get a significant pay raise, I can't lower my quality of life by moving to a more expensive city.

Old 01-10-2014, 10:23 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,969,367 times
There are so many great places to live.

I hate the southeast for living. It isn't my cup of tea at all even with the advantages.

I would love to give Denver, Seattle or Oakland Ca a try.

Chicago food is good but other cities Have good food too. Maybe not as much depending on the size and demographics.

I sometimes ask myself will I miss Chicago when I leave. As a transplant no. If I was a native and Chicago was my standard Yes. By living in different cities, there is no standard because you can find things to like in any city.

Old 01-10-2014, 10:47 PM

319 posts, read 604,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
There are so many great places to live.

I hate the southeast for living. It isn't my cup of tea at all even with the advantages.

I would love to give Denver, Seattle or Oakland Ca a try.

Chicago food is good but other cities Have good food too. Maybe not as much depending on the size and demographics.

I sometimes ask myself will I miss Chicago when I leave. As a transplant no. If I was a native and Chicago was my standard Yes. By living in different cities, there is no standard because you can find things to like in any city.
A couple of other people have posted desires for Seattle or Portland on this thread.

I lived outside of Portland for 3 grueling years.

For the first year, it was great, because it was new. I actively searched out places to go and thought, hey this isn't half-bad!

Then reality set in.

- There is no meaningful public transportation, and you basically can't drink anywhere without walking there.
- Everyone there is either white or asian. Neither of these groups have any interest talking to you (even if you are in their race) [Yes there are small populations of latinos and african americans, they hide from the idiotic white people who drive around subarus with kayaks strapped to the top who complain vehemently about oil companies but don't understand aerodynamics]
- The Pac-NW has this weird phenomenon where the locals are only *really* friends with those who they went to elementary school with - and no you can't meet them.
- No verbal debate, or questions, that is an attack. You may only discuss mutually agreed upon topics (not very fun unless you are in a very specific subset of exact type of liberal, I'm too far left and right all at the same time for them)
- You continually wonder how seemingly adult people could be so horribly uneducated (they tout their education, but it's all in the humanities)
- Acceptance of woo is required, Traditional Chinese Medicine is just as good as a doctor who went through 10 years of schooling, not kidding.
- Though the bars close at 1 or 2am, you won't find many people at them after midnight, at least no one you'd want to talk to.
- It's a very beautiful place in the summer, but outside of then, it's drab, dreary and grey, even with the greenery.
- Everyone there is convinced it has never snowed, it does, and did every year of the three I was there, and they don't believe in salt. They think it kills the grass. Funny how our grass survives on the side of the roads.
- Don't expect anyone to hold the door open for you, here people say thanks, there people look at you weirdly.
- Though they are often talked about as being a foodie area, much of the food is actually horribly overpriced and inconsistent. Probably due to so many of their chef's being high as a kite. The food there is generally bland.
- Though the state agriculturally pretty much only produces wine grapes, grass seed, and christmas trees, all their food is local. Don't argue.

Watch the Portlandia series, it's closer to the truth than they'd like to admit.

These are just a couple of my observations.

That neck of the woods is good if:

- You are introverted to the point of fear of contact with others.
- Have a significant love of being high all of the time
- Want to never meet anyone interesting, someone who's had different life experiences (Diversity is the opposite of the Pac-NW)
- Are a female with bad luck dating anywhere east of the Mississippi. (The ratio is so horrible for men there that women have their pick)
- You love to see homeless kids in downtown areas, and get harassed by them

Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches are racist.

Note this thread, lol.

Ok, lots of other good posts here about where to live, move along.

Old 01-10-2014, 10:52 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,422,980 times
I actually did leave Chicago for a job in Tennessee.

But given the question, if I was still in Chicago and my GF (I suppose this includes her too) and I were excommunicated or something, kicked out of the state, I'd have 3 options

1 - Live there anyway Albeit under the radar; off the grid haha. Least likely
2 - I'd have to choose a state or city with a cost of living within reach of working class pay, especially considering that if I got kicked out, I wouldn't exactly have the time to get a higher paying job than perhaps retail or automotive technician.
Also I'd want to try places I've never lived in before or spent much time in. It'd have to be not strict on gun laws. Near a body of water of some sort that has beaches, walkable city-like feel. Diverse. I would like snow, but it's not required.
Maybe
Portland, OR
Miami, FL or Miami Beach, FL.
Queens, NY, NY
Boston, MA

Although I could also do smaller college-town type places in either IN, WI, MI, KY or OH.

3. Live on the road in my truck. That would be sweet. My girl, my dog, camping wherever. Make money off craigslist and automotive side jobs, other menial side jobs. Hunt, fish. See everything. Shower at whatever local gym. Play basketball 7 days a week in different towns. Then maybe spend the winters in Miami. That. Would. Be. The. Dream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isotope-C14 View Post
A couple of other people have posted desires for Seattle or Portland on this thread.

I lived outside of Portland for 3 grueling years.

For the first year, it was great, because it was new. I actively searched out places to go and thought, hey this isn't half-bad!

Then reality set in.

- There is no meaningful public transportation, and you basically can't drink anywhere without walking there.
- Everyone there is either white or asian. Neither of these groups have any interest talking to you (even if you are in their race) [Yes there are small populations of latinos and african americans, they hide from the idiotic white people who drive around subarus with kayaks strapped to the top who complain vehemently about oil companies but don't understand aerodynamics]
- The Pac-NW has this weird phenomenon where the locals are only *really* friends with those who they went to elementary school with - and no you can't meet them.

Watch the Portlandia series, it's closer to the truth than they'd like to admit.

To be honest, I've heard before that Chicago is that kind of place where most people are friends with other childhood friends also.

I would love to have a kayak strapped to the top of my truck, although I won't complain about oil companies. And I understand aerodynamics and even though I have a truck, I think I can get pretty good mileage out of it if I tried ...does that mean I don't fit in in Portland ? That's the second time I read on this board that people who move there, hate it after a year or so.

Last edited by NARFALICIOUS; 01-10-2014 at 11:00 PM..

Old 01-11-2014, 12:40 AM

319 posts, read 604,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
To be honest, I've heard before that Chicago is that kind of place where most people are friends with other childhood friends also.

I would love to have a kayak strapped to the top of my truck, although I won't complain about oil companies. And I understand aerodynamics and even though I have a truck, I think I can get pretty good mileage out of it if I tried ...does that mean I don't fit in in Portland ? That's the second time I read on this board that people who move there, hate it after a year or so.
Naw, I don't know many people who are still in regular contact with childhood friends. I guess with some on facebook, you might randomly connect with them, but it's no more than ancient history here.

There, it's how the locals operate as a default.

If you are really introverted, really, really anti-social, that area of the country has "merit". If 100% of your life satisfaction can come from your "girl" then it might be ok.

The only people I know who love the place grew up in very small towns in Iowa or Minnesota, and legitimate big cities like Houston were way too big for them. I hope that gives you additional perspective on this.

Also, as an afterthought, no one there makes money off of something that isn't highway robbery (most of the time). Car repairs? Don't get me started. They charge 2-300% what would be a normal price in Chicago.

If you lived, and enjoyed any part of chicago-life, living in SEA or PDX is like, wait, but this is a suburb?!?!?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago