Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 10:31 PM

215 posts, read 350,637 times

Advertisements

There used to be a couple of Hancock Fabrics stores in the north side, but according to the site, they are gone, and the only ones around involve taking a train to the suburbs and wasting several hours. Does anyone know if there are fabric stores downtown or on the north side? I found one place on Google called Vogue Fabrics downtown, but I fear it may be closed judging by the number of broken links on the website.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2014, 05:54 AM

126 posts, read 207,927 times
Unless it's closed in the last 6 months, the Vogue Fabrics on Roosevelt is a big store with wide selection.

I looked at their website, and it looks different than the last time I checked them out, so the broken links may not be connected yet.

There's another fabric store near there, Fishman's Fabrics - Casablanca Scrim . I've never been there, but since it's so close to Vogue you could check them both out in one trip.

Old 01-12-2014, 05:58 AM

48 posts, read 102,172 times
Joann Fabrics, 2647 N Elston Ave
Jo Ann Fabrics & Crafts - Bucktown - Chicago, IL

Old 01-12-2014, 08:07 AM

846 posts, read 1,400,717 times
I live close to this one and it's always really busy

Textile Discount Outlet - Pilsen - Chicago, IL

Old 01-12-2014, 08:39 AM

I saw that Joann has a presence here, but I've never gone inside. Years ago, their fabric selection sucked. What's it like now?

Old 01-23-2014, 10:04 AM

22 posts, read 34,139 times
Joann's fabrics have improved a lot, probably because most of the other fabric stores have closed. I use fabric in the artwork I make so I'm always looking for new outlets but unless you have access to a car you are going to have a hard time finding those few stores that are remaining. There is also a Vogue Fabric in Evanston on Main St. that is fairly big but the place is really bedraggled and needs some interior rehab, which means nothing for us artists LOL! Textile Discount Outlet on 21st St. is really interesting too. By 'interesting' I mean very old, with an enormous amount of huge rolls of fabric, with, as i remember lots of 'specialty' (read; sequins, velours, etc.) fabric and upholstry fabric. When I am in the burbs I always stop at Hobby Lobby, which has an ok fabric section and some WalMarts seem to have fabric departments, esp the more rural ones. The further out of the city you go, the more quilt shops you see. Quilting seems to be more of a thing for rural women than urban women. The quilt shops I shop at in Nortwestern Wisconsin in the summer have some really trendy, gorgeous fabric. The Hancock Fabric that closed last year on Broadway had a sign that they were going to reopen somewhere nearby but so far, I have not seen anything.
Hope this helps.

Old 01-23-2014, 11:14 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,683,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bornlucky23 View Post
Joann's fabrics have improved a lot, probably because most of the other fabric stores have closed. I use fabric in the artwork I make so I'm always looking for new outlets but unless you have access to a car you are going to have a hard time finding those few stores that are remaining. There is also a Vogue Fabric in Evanston on Main St. that is fairly big but the place is really bedraggled and needs some interior rehab, which means nothing for us artists LOL! Textile Discount Outlet on 21st St. is really interesting too. By 'interesting' I mean very old, with an enormous amount of huge rolls of fabric, with, as i remember lots of 'specialty' (read; sequins, velours, etc.) fabric and upholstry fabric. When I am in the burbs I always stop at Hobby Lobby, which has an ok fabric section and some WalMarts seem to have fabric departments, esp the more rural ones. The further out of the city you go, the more quilt shops you see. Quilting seems to be more of a thing for rural women than urban women. The quilt shops I shop at in Nortwestern Wisconsin in the summer have some really trendy, gorgeous fabric. The Hancock Fabric that closed last year on Broadway had a sign that they were going to reopen somewhere nearby but so far, I have not seen anything.
Hope this helps.
Thanks, I was trying to remember the name of that place. My wife loves it.

Edit: sorry didn't notice the OP mentioned Vogue.

Last edited by Vlajos; 01-23-2014 at 11:16 AM.. Reason: missed OPs mention of it.

Old 01-23-2014, 02:48 PM

If my stars are aligned, Hancock will reopen before I move back. I've been going there since I was a toddler (I knew how to drive), so it's always been in my life. But if it doesn't, at least I have some decent options.

Old 01-23-2014, 07:28 PM

732 posts, read 2,981,340 times
From my wife (a "modern" quilter), in addition to Vogue and Fishman's, there's The Needle Shop on Lincoln just north of Addison (across from Trader Joe's). If you're looking for quilting fabric, hit the burbs. Fabrics Etc. II in Bensenville is the closest to the city.

Old 01-23-2014, 09:13 PM

I actually bought a notion from the Needle Shop on Etsy not long ago. I don't think they were there when I was living in Chicago, so thanks for reminding me of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago