Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 01:09 AM

20 posts, read 43,610 times

Advertisements

horrible area. i used to live near homan and st. louis (don't ask) and there were guns, drugs and violent crime daily. Stay away, don't be fooled by the conservatory. It's one of the worst neighborhoods in chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2010, 01:39 AM

15,586 posts, read 27,609,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surlycue View Post
...I'd be surprised if more than 1% of the residents are scum.

Your myopic views are nauseating.
So are you trying to tell me out of about 21,000 people in East Garfield Park 210 people committed 6924 crimes (at least that were reported) in the last 365 days?

East Garfield Park

Chicago Police Department CLEARMAP - Crime Summary

Last edited by Avengerfire; 06-13-2010 at 01:51 AM..

Old 06-13-2010, 06:47 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,445,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
So are you trying to tell me out of about 21,000 people in East Garfield Park 210 people committed 6924 crimes (at least that were reported) in the last 365 days?

East Garfield Park

By this logic, all crime committed in the loop would be from people living in the loop. The city is completely fluid, especially considering the good access to transportation in that area. GP residents can go to Lincoln Park to commit crime and people from all neighborhoods, particularly nearby Lawndale, W. GP and Humboldt, can come into E. GP to commit crimes.

I am not trying to claim that Garfield Park is safe but you said that MOST of the residents are scumbags. I don't know if you mean criminals or just societal leeches. I do not believe that MOST of the residents are criminal. A good deal may be dead beats to some degree, mostly due to their own lack of initiative but also because it is very cheap to live there and a large majority of the landlords cater to section 8 renters. If the prices went up there the deadbeats would migrate to another cheaper neighborhood.

Most of the residents work for a living. They make what they can to provide for their families. I am close with 5 or 6 different families that live by the conservatory and they are all middle or lower middle class people who wanted to stay in the city and be close to downtown for work but can't afford to live in Lincoln Park. And why should they want to, really? Just like you prefer to live in a neighborhood with a lot of people who are the same color as you, they may prefer to live with people of the same race, or culture or socio-economic class, etc. You really have no entitlement to say that they are scum bags based on some BS rationale.

Old 06-13-2010, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surlycue View Post
...I am not trying to claim that Garfield Park is safe but you said that MOST of the residents are scumbags. I don't know if you mean criminals or just societal leeches...

...Most of the residents work for a living...

...You really have no entitlement to say that they are scum bags based on some BS rationale.
1) Criminals and societal leeches are all scumbags just the same.

2) Prove it. I challenge you to.

3) Where are you when the societal leeches and flaming libs use their "entitlement" to justify their retarded "BS" rationale to claim that all people that live in places like Lincoln Park,Lake View,Edison Park,Norwood Park, etc are all wealthy?

Old 06-13-2010, 07:47 PM

Futhermore, according to the 2000 census 1/3 of the residents of EGP were under 18 in 2000. Wow I wonder what percentage it is now! How would "Most" of the residents work if 1/3 are under 18 while factoring in the the crap economy?

================================================== =============

Page 36:

http://www.newcommunities.org/cmadoc...ldQofL2005.pdf

Zip Code 60624 (and yeah it does include more than the EGP area but I am using this for an example):

"The area's unemployment rate was estimated to be 18.6 percent in 2001..."

And you think it can possibly be the same and not worse now?!!!!!!!!!!!

================================================== ===================

"A total of 4,065 ex-drug offenders were paroled to the area between 1995 and 2001—an average of one of every 11 residents, according to census figures."

The Chicago Reporter West Side Residents Battle Drug War Realities

================================================== ==================

When an area's median family income is $24,000 there is no way in hell "most" of the people work in a community.

"A 2006 community profile done by the Chicago Department of Public Health reported a median income of $23,121 in West Garfield Park; $24,216 in East Garfield Park; and $18,955 in Englewood. These numbers are far below the city's average income of $38,625."

http://news.newamericamedia.org/news...6f85de1f8abfd0

Old 06-13-2010, 09:33 PM

Btw: EGP's median income is lower than the city of Detroit's.

Old 06-14-2010, 07:50 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,878,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Yeah, they probably chisel the city out of paying for a vehicle sticker.

yep. I'm a little more concerned with substance than appearance, personally.

Old 06-14-2010, 07:53 AM

Quote:
==================================================

"A total of 4,065 ex-drug offenders were paroled to the area between 1995 and 2001—an average of one of every 11 residents, according to census figures."

The Chicago Reporter West Side Residents Battle Drug War Realities

================================================== ==================
What this means to me is the War on Drugs is creating unsafe communities. Were all the people who touched alcohol during Prohibition scum?

Old 06-14-2010, 08:36 AM

103 posts, read 91,627 times
Quote:

East Garfield Park

Assuming that all the crimes committed were from different people and none were repeat offenders, that would mean that over 76% of the residents were not involved in crimes. In reality, most crimes in every area are committed by the same criminals. The unemployment rate in East Garfield Park a couple of years ago was 17.3, meaning that most of the residents are working, unless you are including children and infants. The word "scumbag" is very subjective, so it really depends on someones point of view. I don't know most of the people in East Garfield Park, so I don't know the percentage of scumbags, but I do know my friends who live in that area. The people I do know who live in the area don't make a lot of money, they don't drive BMW's, don't wear designer clothes, or work at prestigous law firms. They are however decent people who work and contribute to society. They are generous, kind, non hateful, and non judgmental people. They don't have a need to pass judgement on mass group of strangers to boost their self worth.

I'm curious as to whether you could consider the majority of the people in other poverty areas, like Back of they Yards, Little Village, Humboldt Park, Pilsen, to be scumbags.

MCIC: Chicago Community Area Unemployment Rate

Old 06-14-2010, 09:53 AM

Echoing what S&N said above, I saw this on a local neighborhood listserv:

Hi all

Here is an update from the CAPS meeting for Beat 1732. The 17th District commander was there (Commandar Mealer) along with our CAPS officer (Sgt. Barker) and there was good attendance.

We discussed burglaries and burglary attempts in the area and some good information was shared. First, burglaries from home and garage are a main focus of 17th district police and are part of the district plan. Although a cluster or pattern in our immediate neighborhood has not been observed, police are carefully watching and are considering any connection to the uptick in Logan Square.

Neighbors can help by always calling 911 for suspicious activity. About half of offenders for all crimes in the 17th district do not live in the district, possibly due to our proximity to the expressway. Always call if you get suspicious visitors at the door asking for people who don't live there or if you observe or hear of something similar from neighbors--incl. people who are walking around asking to do yardwork or clean gutters. Most burglaries from homes take place during the day, from garages take place at night. Police suggested that when you purchase new electronics, be sure to break down the box and not leave it out obviously in the alley. Many garage burglaries are due to people leaving the side door open or not making sure the automatic door closes before they leave. Also be sure your porch and (if possible) garage are well lit. Trim bushes and call for service if your streetlight is blocked or not working.

The CAPS office can also provide support in terms of flyering blocks with information about preventing burglary and/or No Trespassing/ We Call Police signs. They also give away vehicle "clubs"--security devices to lock your steering wheel. Let me know if you are interested.

Gang problems continue to be another major issue in the Beat esp. close to Belmont on either side near Central Park/Monticello. This weekend there will be a few extra police cars out patrolling as part of efforts to address this--and the reason that extra patrols are possible is that neighbors called 911 frequently. Keep up the good work!

I can provide updates about specific areas if anyone needs them, otherwise let me know if you have any questions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago