Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 11:35 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
It's not bad, but it's sure boring IMO. I cruised up California from Division to North over the weekend, and that stretch doesn't look it has changed a lick in a decade+.
It's changing a little. There's actually a handful of homes being built around California and Chicago soon, and some new apartment complexes. On Chicago ave there's some restaurants and such east of CA and west of Western whcih is fine. Hunter & Tails is just east of California on Chicago and supposed to be good. Then there's Kai Zan, etc Rootstock at California & Augusta.

I do agree that Logan Square is hotter, but that part of Humboldt Park, especially around Chicago ave is kind of a hipster area and seems to be getting better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2014, 11:38 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,460,718 times
I'm very glad our North Berwyn got recognized as No. 2 in Chicago but I also note that North Maywood is No. 4, so I'm not quite sure what to do with this one That said, I've long predicted Humboldt Park will rise. Logan Square was a dump when I lived there in the mid-1990s and I can barely recognize the place now. I think the momentum from LS will continue to carry into at least some of Humboldt. This said, I'd definitely stay as far east as I could at this stage of development.

Old 01-15-2014, 11:53 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,879,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
It's changing a little. There's actually a handful of homes being built around California and Chicago soon, and some new apartment complexes. On Chicago ave there's some restaurants and such east of CA and west of Western whcih is fine. Hunter & Tails is just east of California on Chicago and supposed to be good. Then there's Kai Zan, etc Rootstock at California & Augusta.

I do agree that Logan Square is hotter, but that part of Humboldt Park, especially around Chicago ave is kind of a hipster area and seems to be getting better.
Good points, I guess I was thinking more of the area between Division and North. We used to go to the Clipper on an irregular basis in the late 90s/early Aughts, and it doesn't feel like much has changed in terms of commercial activity.

But then again, Western is pretty awesome. I think it is the east-west streets that need to play some catch up. It's really always been a matter of time before people start realizing that the metal Puerto Rican flags don't mean that non-PR businesses can't expand there. Nothing against the Puerto Rican community, but you just have to look at the population of the home island to realize their growth potential in Chicago was always going to be limited. They somewhat strangely (but somewhat not) have that in common with the Irish. A few large influxes, then a slow but steady tapering off.

Old 01-15-2014, 12:04 PM

Yeah, I think that area is fine, and really around Chicago Avenue is where more business gentrification is happening. There's also places like Beetle Bar & Grill which is also west of Western there. This place called Feed just east of California is supposedly good too, though it definitely looks more like a POS hole in the wall type of place. But yeah, definitely hipsters in that area.

The I do also wish that Division and/or North would expand that way, and I think it will. There's a number of new single family homes issued new construction building permits between North, Armitage, Kedzie, and California. Though I'd say a lot of them are around the Bloomingdale Trail and north to Armitage, there's some of it also south closer to North Ave. Not sure how many of those homes are developer homes versus more actually family built ones. The 606/Bloomingdale Trail at least appears to have attracted some new development around it in areas.

Old 01-15-2014, 12:26 PM

166 posts, read 259,861 times
East Humboldt Park is definitely looking up. It makes total sense. You have access to a big park and the bloomingdale trail beginning later this year. It's only a short ride to Logan Square, Wicker Park, Bucktown, Uk Village, and the rest of West Town. Buses on North and Division st quickly get you to the Blue line. Then it's only 3 stops to the loop. The availability of old and cheap housing is providing great opportunities for those not afraid of non-white residents. Let's be honest, when people think of Humboldt Park they think of the area closer to Pulaski ave. East of Humboltd Blvd is very different. It's not a lily white neighborhood, which is a great thing. It definitely has a real Chicago neighborhood feel, as opposed to the transplant neighborhoods further northeast. It is definitely not a place for those who need a starbucks/trendy cocktail bar/"&" restaurants on every corner. But for those who want a nice neighborhood/community to call home and don't mind taking short trips to the happening areas, it's definitely a great place.

Old 01-15-2014, 12:57 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Yeah, I think that area is fine, and really around Chicago Avenue is where more business gentrification is happening. There's also places like Beetle Bar & Grill which is also west of Western there. This place called Feed just east of California is supposedly good too, though it definitely looks more like a POS hole in the wall type of place. But yeah, definitely hipsters in that area.

The I do also wish that Division and/or North would expand that way, and I think it will. There's a number of new single family homes issued new construction building permits between North, Armitage, Kedzie, and California. Though I'd say a lot of them are around the Bloomingdale Trail and north to Armitage, there's some of it also south closer to North Ave. Not sure how many of those homes are developer homes versus more actually family built ones. The 606/Bloomingdale Trail at least appears to have attracted some new development around it in areas.
There is actually a restaurant called "Feed" in Chicago?

Only a matter of time before one is called "Food"...

Old 01-15-2014, 01:01 PM

86 posts, read 159,444 times
There's one called "Meat"

Old 01-15-2014, 01:23 PM

1,312 posts, read 1,870,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
...It's really always been a matter of time before people start realizing that the metal Puerto Rican flags don't mean that non-PR businesses can't expand there. Nothing against the Puerto Rican community, but you just have to look at the population of the home island to realize their growth potential in Chicago was always going to be limited. They somewhat strangely (but somewhat not) have that in common with the Irish. A few large influxes, then a slow but steady tapering off.
Shots fired.

Fighting the Gentrification in Humboldt Park

EDIT: No rep to give at this moment.

Old 01-15-2014, 04:12 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,465,808 times
LOL @ everyone trying to justify why HP shouldn't be number one.

Typical City-Data Chicago responses.

Old 01-15-2014, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
LOL @ everyone trying to justify why HP shouldn't be number one.

Typical City-Data Chicago responses.
Well, it's not the hottest neighborhood in town right now. Ukrainian Village and Bridgeport have a lot more movement than it and the very southern edge of Logan Square near Humboldt Park does too, not to mention a lot of business opening up in Logan Square. There's no "trying" to..Humboldt Park right now is not as "hot" as Logan Square, Bridgeport, or UK Village. The amount of new homes being built in any of these three areas, or homes that have recently been built, is a lot. I hope that by five years from now, we can say that Humboldt Park has a good amount of new business opening up (not like Starbucks though).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago