Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 06:03 AM

367 posts, read 917,662 times

Advertisements

I find Diatomaceous earth fascinating. I've read that shelters will put it in coffee cans and then sink the bed posts into the cans. Diatomaceous Earth (food grade): Bug Killer You Can Eat!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2014, 08:37 AM

528 posts, read 711,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhaThe View Post
I find Diatomaceous earth fascinating. I've read that shelters will put it in coffee cans and then sink the bed posts into the cans. Diatomaceous Earth (food grade): Bug Killer You Can Eat!
It only works if you put in every path the bed bugs will walk, which is impossible. The only full-proof way is the bed bug shield, a thin plastic sheet covering both mattress and frame.

Old 01-23-2014, 06:29 AM

367 posts, read 917,662 times
Would your bed have to also not be up against any walls as well? I've mostly had small Chicago bedrooms and am always up against one or two walls. I'm suspecting they could crawl up a wall and then walk across your bedding for dinner.

I guess also I'm unclear on how the cover protects you completely. Are they unable to crawl up it? I understand if they happen to be living in your bed how it would help.

Old 01-23-2014, 09:26 AM

3,396 posts, read 7,208,945 times
It is really hard to get rid of bed bugs. Diatomaceous earth kills the bugs, but does nothing to the eggs. A mix of 1/2 alcohol and 1/2 water kills the eggs, but only if they're completely doused in it. I had to deal with it once, and even after 2 exterminators had tried to kill them they were still around. They get into any tiny crack or crevice and can live for quite awhile without feeding. They're too small to see when they hatch, so even if you don't see them you can still have them. Doing the following things finally got rid of them:

- Get rid of your mattress and boxspring, get covers for the new ones and put the covers on before you even bring them in the house.
- COMPLETELY dust the rooms with diatomaceous earth. Anything fabric needs to be washed or thrown out. All furniture needs to be turned over and thoroughly dusted. Framed art on the walls has to be dusted, every tiny crack and crevice in the moulding needs to be dusted, etc. Leave the dust covering everything for at least 24 hours, and then thoroughly vacuum everything.
- Spray everything with the alcohol/water mix. It should run down into all moulding, rugs should be soaked to the point that they're damp, and be sure to get it into all joints in furniture.
- Caulk all moulding and cracks/crevices in the walls.
- Once that's done set up the bed with double stick tape on the legs, and place the legs in cups containing diatomaceous earth. Make sure your bed and sheets never touch the floor or walls for the next 4-6 months.

That's it. You have to do that to any rooms that people sleep in, as well as any halls adjacent to rooms that people sleep in. It is a major pain to deal with.

Old 01-23-2014, 05:47 PM

3,697 posts, read 4,994,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhaThe View Post
Would your bed have to also not be up against any walls as well? I've mostly had small Chicago bedrooms and am always up against one or two walls. I'm suspecting they could crawl up a wall and then walk across your bedding for dinner.

I guess also I'm unclear on how the cover protects you completely. Are they unable to crawl up it? I understand if they happen to be living in your bed how it would help.
Yeap the bed should not be against the wall. The covers can protect a mattress or save one that isn't too bad by trapping the bugs within. They make it impossible for them to set up shop in the mattress but they could set up shop between the mattress and the box spring or in any crack or crevice that is accessible to the bed.

They also can set up shop in furniture like Chairs and Sofas. Basically they like to dine on you then retreat to a dark protected place to hide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago