U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-30-2007, 06:28 PM

16,249 posts, read 11,825,052 times

Advertisements

Me and my wife do not share New Years Eve. We have on a few occasions but I like to party and she would rather go to church. Church is for Saturday to me- not New Years Eve.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2007, 03:21 PM

456 posts, read 1,119,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
I generally try to find a friend who is having a party. New Years is one night of the year I don't feel like hitting the bars.
because it's "amateur night"!

I hate how my local bar would charge upwards of $30 for New Years.

Old 12-03-2007, 03:25 PM

12,062 posts, read 19,228,576 times
I never heard of church on New Years... though it probably would have kept me out of trouble a few times

Old 12-03-2007, 03:47 PM

459 posts, read 938,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDreaming View Post
I would be interested in anywhere that I can get a good feel for the kind of people I will meet. I have never just moved to a new city all by myself before so I am a little worried about meeting friends. I hope I can...
I will be living in Lincoln Park or somewhere in the Loop, but will not be moving until probably February (For the great weather ).
i truly think that your best bet would be a smaller neighborhood bar in lincoln park, where you can mingle with people you might actually see again. the clubs downtown aren't great for this, as there's a fair amount of suburban people that roll into town to go clubbing and it's not easy meeting people in those places to begin with. are you coming by yourself or bringing friends? i can recommend a great place that i am going with my buddies that is surrounded by a bunch of other good bars in LP. i guarantee that you'll meet people. pm me if you would like info...

Old 12-03-2007, 03:57 PM

3,609 posts, read 6,622,079 times
Default New Year's?

Many folks go to church on New Year's Eve. I think its called traveller's night or something. But consider ...

*The Chicago Police Department has directional finders for gunshot tracing. Do not fire a weapon at 12 because the police will triangulate the sound and come get you.

*CTA is free or cabs will take you where you wanna go. Driving is a hazard even if you are sober.

*I go to Neighbor's Eve at the local neighborhood club. Its kind of hokey, but no fights, no alcohol and its in walking distance.

Old 12-03-2007, 05:14 PM
mdz

624 posts, read 1,911,952 times
New Year's Day is a Holy Day for Catholics (Solemnity of Mary), so a lot of parishes have mass on the night before (ie the Eve) that counts for attendance.

Old 12-04-2007, 03:46 PM

12 posts, read 107,449 times
Thanks again. I think I will take Jimbo's advice and try to find somewhere in Lincoln Park. I will be alone and that seems like a safer area. I'm working it out with my job this week.

Old 12-17-2007, 02:27 PM

1 posts, read 2,885 times
Hi
I'm visiting Chicago for NYE and wondered if there is a bus schedule posted on the internet stating how late buses will be running and what stops. Has anyone seen anything like this?
Cheers,
J

Old 12-17-2007, 03:12 PM
j33

4,625 posts, read 9,782,110 times
Where are you going? Certain buses and trains always run 24/7, and some do not. Whether or not your train or bus is running all night depends on where you are going.

The CTA website is your best bet

http://www.transitchicago.com/

Old 12-18-2007, 05:58 PM

248 posts, read 761,265 times
I would stay away from any type of Hyped up $100.00 to 200.00 party....the all you can drink is served in small cups...theres a couple bartenders who are pissed cause they are working and people are not tipping cause the drinks suck........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago