Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 10:03 PM

11 posts, read 19,546 times

Advertisements

Sorry, I'm making yet another moving to Chicago thread. However, I'm looking for some specific suggestions regarding my situation. So I'm a 24 year old gay male social worker (have my master's in social work). I will likely be moving in the next month or two and will probably have a job as a case manager/counselor for the first 6-12 months in Chicago. I expect to be making between 32-35k. After I obtain my LSW licensure in Illinois I would expect my pay to increase to 35-40k. I will likely need to keep my car at least for the first 6-12 months since I will be doing case management which sometimes requires travel to client's homes (most employers do reimburse for gas and maintenance costs) . I think a studio in the Rogers Park area might be a good fit for me, but want some other neighborhood suggestions. I'd like to keep my rent under $750, $650 if possible. I'm pretty frugal with money and manage to live on around 30k currently. Ideally I'd like to live in a walkable neighborhood, with public transit access, near other young people, with convenient access to good groceries, restaurants, and bars. Please note I do realize my income and rent requirements might keep me from getting everything I want, but I'm fine with that. So with all that said hopefully you will have a few suggestions for me. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2014, 10:37 PM

319 posts, read 604,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by will77 View Post
Sorry, I'm making yet another moving to Chicago thread. However, I'm looking for some specific suggestions regarding my situation. So I'm a 24 year old gay male social worker (have my master's in social work). I will likely be moving in the next month or two and will probably have a job as a case manager/counselor for the first 6-12 months in Chicago. I expect to be making between 32-35k. After I obtain my LSW licensure in Illinois I would expect my pay to increase to 35-40k. I will likely need to keep my car at least for the first 6-12 months since I will be doing case management which sometimes requires travel to client's homes (most employers do reimburse for gas and maintenance costs) . I think a studio in the Rogers Park area might be a good fit for me, but want some other neighborhood suggestions. I'd like to keep my rent under $750, $650 if possible. I'm pretty frugal with money and manage to live on around 30k currently. Ideally I'd like to live in a walkable neighborhood, with public transit access, near other young people, with convenient access to good groceries, restaurants, and bars. Please note I do realize my income and rent requirements might keep me from getting everything I want, but I'm fine with that. So with all that said hopefully you will have a few suggestions for me. Thanks.
If you are looking on the budget, you could try a room-share too, plenty listed on CL. There you could be even more frugal, possibly as low as $500-550, though might not be ideal depending on your personal likes/dislikes. I guess more info too would be helpful.

Do you expect your job to be 6-12 months total? Are you pretty much guaranteed to be offered a longer term position afterward?

I say this because it could suck to have a 6 month job and a 12 month lease. Some room-shares can be pretty flexible on that side, as some room-shares near the hospitals will do 6 month (or shorter) arrangements.

Are you moving with furniture?

Do you know where you would likely be working specifically? I always like being closer to work if possible.

As long as you are close to the red/blue line, it's pretty easy to get around to any nightlife area. Sometimes it's nice to commute to the fun too, as the train can sometimes be amusing.

Old 01-24-2014, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isotope-C14 View Post
If you are looking on the budget, you could try a room-share too, plenty listed on CL. There you could be even more frugal, possibly as low as $500-550, though might not be ideal depending on your personal likes/dislikes. I guess more info too would be helpful.

Do you expect your job to be 6-12 months total? Are you pretty much guaranteed to be offered a longer term position afterward?

I say this because it could suck to have a 6 month job and a 12 month lease. Some room-shares can be pretty flexible on that side, as some room-shares near the hospitals will do 6 month (or shorter) arrangements.

Are you moving with furniture?

Do you know where you would likely be working specifically? I always like being closer to work if possible.

As long as you are close to the red/blue line, it's pretty easy to get around to any nightlife area. Sometimes it's nice to commute to the fun too, as the train can sometimes be amusing.
I am currently working with a temp service in the area that is scheduling me two interviews with local agencies. I also am working on getting another interview scheduled with an agency I applied for on my own. Both agencies the temp service is offering me have locations on both the north and south sides of the city. One has locations in Skokie, Evanston, The Loop, Belmont & Central, and near Midway. The other has locations in Lakeview, The Loop, and Lawndale (near Douglas Park). However, these jobs are temp to permanent jobs (true vacancies not just short term coverage for another employee) and hopefully I'd be hired on as a salaried full time employee after six months. The person I'm working with at the temp agency seems pretty committed to finding me stable employment. When I have my LSW licensure that will open up more doors to either transfer to a new position at the agency I'm currently at or find employment as an LSW elsewhere. In Oklahoma City where I currently am a Master's degree is all that's required for social work licensure, whereas in Illinois and most other states you also have to pass the national board test which I haven't taken yet since it's not required in my area. Most case management positions are bachelor's level positions with a Master's degree preferred which gives me an advantage over some other applicants. I would prefer to work at North side locations if possible.

I will probably sell most of my furniture besides my bed, couch, and a bookshelf or two.

I would prefer to live alone as I'm kind of an introvert and haven't really had good experiences with roommates in the past, but would be open to a roommate if I found the right one. However, I'd still probably rather have a studio on my own rather than a bigger place with a roommate. My cousin lives in Edgewater so it be nice to be near there if possible. I would like to utilize public transit as much as possible, but may still need my car to satisfy my job duties. As a young, single, gay man it would be nice to be near other young single people. It would also be nice to be near a good market to buy local produce.

Old 01-24-2014, 11:46 PM

319 posts, read 604,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by will77 View Post
I am currently working with a temp service in the area that is scheduling me two interviews with local agencies. I also am working on getting another interview scheduled with an agency I applied for on my own. Both agencies the temp service is offering me have locations on both the north and south sides of the city. One has locations in Skokie, Evanston, The Loop, Belmont & Central, and near Midway. The other has locations in Lakeview, The Loop, and Lawndale (near Douglas Park). However, these jobs are temp to permanent jobs (true vacancies not just short term coverage for another employee) and hopefully I'd be hired on as a salaried full time employee after six months. The person I'm working with at the temp agency seems pretty committed to finding me stable employment. When I have my LSW licensure that will open up more doors to either transfer to a new position at the agency I'm currently at or find employment as an LSW elsewhere. In Oklahoma City where I currently am a Master's degree is all that's required for social work licensure, whereas in Illinois and most other states you also have to pass the national board test which I haven't taken yet since it's not required in my area. Most case management positions are bachelor's level positions with a Master's degree preferred which gives me an advantage over some other applicants. I would prefer to work at North side locations if possible.

I will probably sell most of my furniture besides my bed, couch, and a bookshelf or two.

I would prefer to live alone as I'm kind of an introvert and haven't really had good experiences with roommates in the past, but would be open to a roommate if I found the right one. However, I'd still probably rather have a studio on my own rather than a bigger place with a roommate. My cousin lives in Edgewater so it be nice to be near there if possible. I would like to utilize public transit as much as possible, but may still need my car to satisfy my job duties. As a young, single, gay man it would be nice to be near other young single people. It would also be nice to be near a good market to buy local produce.
Well, you do have a pretty good hood picked out if you end up needing to use public transportation to Skokie and Evanston. Yellow line runs to Skokie, and Evanston is serviced by the Purple line. These are not 24 hour trains though, which probably won't affect you at all (assuming you don't work after 2am). Both of those can be accessed at Howard and that red-line train is 24 hour. Lawndale might be a haul, and same with Midway, but if you have a close relative in Edgewater, it's a huge help to be close to family.

If you can, and this is up to you based on risk, honesty, law-paranoia, etc. If you have a car with out of state plates, and can park on a non-permit street, and I don't know that situation in Edgewater/Rogers Park, you don't need a city sticker (at least they aren't going to regularly ticket out of state plates with non-expired tags). Is this illegal? I think so. I did it for about 2 years when I had a car. Out of state plates = no city sticker needed. Do this at your own risk. If you are on the frugal side, like I am, it's easy to not give the city additional money (in my case I was driving less than once or twice a month). The month prior to my out-of-state tags expiring, car went to the junkyard. 2 years - no tickets. You never know when they are going to change this. If you have cars registered in IL, but no city sticker (like suburban drivers) they will ticket you. I think you can get out of that too, assuming the person has a legal residence outside of the city.

City of Chicago, Office of the City Clerk

Welcome to Chicago!

Last edited by Isotope-C14; 01-25-2014 at 12:20 AM..

Old 01-25-2014, 12:45 AM

13 posts, read 20,706 times
My entire family lives in rogers park and it seems like would have the price range you are looking for. Its not really near any bars though...or good restatunts. At all. Loyola university is there so theres quite a bit of young people. There is also a train. Its not the safest area ie dont go walking around alone at night but its not that bad if you are careful. Someone said skokie, and I live in Lincolnwood right next to it and its not young or even remotely hip haha. Its more of a family suburban area where you raise your kids and whatnot. But its a very safe neighborhood and affordable and you can live near the train and get access places.

You could try wicker park/bucktown(not sure if this one is in your price range, maybe some areas of it), or lincoln square. Andersonville is one I highly recommend you look into it has some great places to eat and it seems affordable.

Old 01-26-2014, 10:12 AM

14 posts, read 36,829 times
From Wikipedia

"The Boystown section of Lakeview was the first officially recognized gay village in the United States[citation needed], as well as the cultural center of one of the largest lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) communities in the nation.[15] Boystown has grown into a cultural center for the LGBT residents living within the Chicago metropolitan area.[16][17] The district's informal boundaries, overlapping with Lakeview East, are Irving Park Road on the north, Broadway on the east, Wellington Avenue on the south, and Sheffield Avenue on the west. "

Old 01-26-2014, 10:17 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Edgewater also has a lot of LGBT folks living there. Andersonville within Edgewater has a handful of gay bars too and is kind of where some LGBT people move to or hang out in when they've tired of the Boystown scene. I personally know about 7 or 10 gay men who live in Edgewater.

You may be able to find a studio for under $750/month around Boystown, but your chances of finding it in Edgewater are probably greater. If you want to be on the north side near the lake, then Edgewater and Rogers Park are your best bets. There are other places around town too that you could afford of course too. Depends on where you'd be working too for convenience.

Old 01-26-2014, 10:35 AM

846 posts, read 1,400,926 times
I'm a MSW student (graduate in May) and am also gay (not that it matter exactly). I reside in Pilsen, and pay $700 for a 2 bedroom and am 1 block from the Pink Line CTA. All things being equal, I'm very happy where I am at.

I'm not into bars though (I'm a bit older than you), if I were, I'm a short bus ride to Wicker Park. The bus also drops us off at a farmers market in the summer, right in Wicker Park.

My girlfriend and I chose Pilsen because it's affordable, offers zone free parking, and there was a parking space available in our complex for $30/month (very useful in the winters).

While I'd love to reside in/near Lakeview, Boystown, Edgewater, etc... the bottom line for us was affordability. I feel safe where I'm at, despite what others may say about Pilsen.

We initially brought a car. It was about $400 to change everything over. While I'm frugal, and we had not planned to do this, my previous state found out of my Chicago living and sent me a letter stating if I don't switch the plates over, they'd suspend my license. It was too great a risk, so we had to drop the cash.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask!

Old 01-26-2014, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubconsciousMe View Post
I'm a MSW student (graduate in May) and am also gay (not that it matter exactly). I reside in Pilsen, and pay $700 for a 2 bedroom and am 1 block from the Pink Line CTA. All things being equal, I'm very happy where I am at.

I'm not into bars though (I'm a bit older than you), if I were, I'm a short bus ride to Wicker Park. The bus also drops us off at a farmers market in the summer, right in Wicker Park.

My girlfriend and I chose Pilsen because it's affordable, offers zone free parking, and there was a parking space available in our complex for $30/month (very useful in the winters).

While I'd love to reside in/near Lakeview, Boystown, Edgewater, etc... the bottom line for us was affordability. I feel safe where I'm at, despite what others may say about Pilsen.

We initially brought a car. It was about $400 to change everything over. While I'm frugal, and we had not planned to do this, my previous state found out of my Chicago living and sent me a letter stating if I don't switch the plates over, they'd suspend my license. It was too great a risk, so we had to drop the cash.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask!
Thanks for your input. What do you think is the best way to find an apartment? I've looked on craigslist but haven't found a 2 bedroom for that price. Should I go through a realtor or agent? I don't mind being away from the more desirable neighborhoods if it means more affordable rent. It would be nice to be near bars but I'm not a super huge bar person. Given the excellent public transit I don't mind taking the bus or L to where I want to go. Also in regards to social work, would you happen to know of someone in the Chicago area that offers a preparatory ASWB Master's exam study course?

Also in regards to the singles scene and social scene in general, what is the best way to meet people in Chicago?

Old 01-26-2014, 07:17 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
For finding apartments, use sites like Zillow, domu.com, and even rent.com. Subconscious got a really good deal it seems, and they're around but in some neighborhoods they're harder to find. There is a neighborhood next to Pilsen which some 2 bedrooms for those types of prices and is safe, but if you'll be working in Skokie or something, it's rather far away unfortunately.

As far as meeting people, it depends on what you want. I think the best way to meet people are meet up events or something like that. You know, like you have some interest and go to a meeting for it. Already you have a talking point with people there since you share a common interest most likely. Then of course there's other ways - concerts, the beach during the summer, public transit, being out in public on the street sometimes, being at a store, the gym, etc. The thing I like about urban environments is that it gives you the opportunity to meet new people wherever you go. Of course, not everyone makes the best of this and there are people who frankly don't care, but it goes on a lot. I've had random conversations with people in a lot of places to be honest with you. It could be something as stupid as you're sitting out at a patio when a group of naked bike riders go by and you start talking to the table next to you about it. I know people who have met their spouses on a train platform.

I'm not saying it will be the case for you, but in the realm of things, meeting people could happen just about anywhere if you and the other person/people are open to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago