Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 12:30 PM

4,651 posts, read 4,972,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnorth View Post
That's actually part of my point, as illustrated in the cartoon I posted. We're viewing previously normal weather as rare now, due to a distorted perception provided by climate change. Sorry, but a brief return to normal Chicago cold does not constitute "Chiberia." It's a stupid, inaccurate term. It's winter in Chicago, people. Deal with it.

And I posted far more concise and rational math. Something that happens every 2-3 years on average (regardless of the distribution), in terms of weather, can't be called unexpected. It just can't. Rationalize it any other way you choose, and give it a corny nickname if you want, but in reality it's just a cold Chicago day. Nothing more or less. I realize from many of your posts that you enjoy arguing for the sake of argument, but I don't, and this is far too clear to dispute as far as I'm concerned. I'm done.
You think just because people are expressing their dislike for -10 temperatures -- in a humorous way, nonetheless -- it means they're not "dealing with it?" I'd reevaluate where I stood if I were you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2014, 04:23 PM

575 posts, read 616,059 times
So far it is the 13th coldest winter in Chicago on record. Four of the seven coldest winters were in years I walked to grade school/high school. I thought it was cold.

One of the Coldest Winters to Date This Year

Old 01-27-2014, 04:27 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,915,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheOrangeCat View Post
So far it is the 13th coldest winter in Chicago on record. Four of the seven coldest winters were in years I walked to grade school/high school. I thought it was cold.

Nice info. The first line of the main paragraph says it too
"IT IS NOT YOUR IMAGINATION...THIS WINTER IS DEFINITELY COLDER THAN NORMAL"

Old 01-27-2014, 06:12 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,105,114 times
I didn't think it was bad, although I dressed like an astronaut. I'd take 3-4 days like this a year if it means spring starts on time.

Old 01-27-2014, 07:16 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,913,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
I didn't think it was bad, although I dressed like an astronaut. I'd take 3-4 days like this a year if it means spring starts on time.
Or the Michelin Man.

Looks like your weather improves quite a bit as the week progresses...

Old 01-27-2014, 07:20 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
Quote:
That's actually part of my point, as illustrated in the cartoon I posted. We're viewing previously normal weather as rare now, due to a distorted perception provided by climate change. Sorry, but a brief return to normal Chicago cold does not constitute "Chiberia." It's a stupid, inaccurate term. It's winter in Chicago, people. Deal with it.

And I posted far more concise and rational math. Something that happens every 2-3 years on average (regardless of the distribution), in terms of weather, can't be called unexpected. It just can't. Rationalize it any other way you choose, and give it a corny nickname if you want, but in reality it's just a cold Chicago day. Nothing more or less. I realize from many of your posts that you enjoy arguing for the sake of argument, but I don't, and this is far too clear to dispute as far as I'm concerned. I'm done.
Haha, I would hardly call something that happens on average once every 1,000+ days "normal".

Of course -15 degrees is very unusual for Chicago. It HAPPENS, but it's not expected or normal. Average lows are around 30-35 degrees warmer. Having daytime temps of -10 is even more unusual.

I mean I totally understand it's Chicago and it gets cold and that the past few years have been very warm, but a return to historical norms would be lows in the teens and highs around 30 or so, within 10-15 degrees of that since our weather goes up and down so much.

As much as people might think, wind chills of -30 and temps of -15 have never been "typical". If it were you wouldn't see the extreme warnigns, work and school cancelled, etc.

As someone else said, this happens on average once every 3 years or so. That's certainly not "normal" or expected. It's exceptional. We're touching record lows and the record low "high" temp of the day for these days.

Old 01-27-2014, 07:23 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheOrangeCat View Post

That was also as of the 25th. Given how cold it got last night, all day and night today, all day and night tomorrow - and temps not expected to be anywhere near freezing through January, I would have to assume that the rank of 13th will move up. Especially having two days below ZERO that weren't even counted yet.

Old 01-28-2014, 07:56 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,464,397 times
Quote:
i just wish we could all agree to drop the term "chiberia." it's almost as annoyingly inaccurate as "chiraq."

it's chicago, people. It gets cold here. The fact that we had two fluky mild winters in a row does not mean that it's like siberia when it returns to normal. It's like chicago.
precisely.

Old 01-28-2014, 09:06 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,987,954 times
I just checked weather.com and it said 7 below here and 5 below in Vostok Russia, so I think "Chiberia" is pretty accurate right now. I just checked this: Chicago Weather Center Blog which says that the low last night was -11 and the all time low was -13 in 1977. Some of you not have been born then. I was in high school at the time. This kind of extreme cold does NOT happen all that often here.

Old 01-28-2014, 09:27 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,249,404 times
worked at office yesterday, working at home today. On a conf call right now, haha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago