Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 02:13 PM

555 posts, read 804,309 times

Advertisements

Chicago's summers are known for being hot and humid. How does the city's heat and humidity compare to what one finds in Hawaii?

I know there are humidity and heat stats; just wanted to get folks' individual perspectives. How similar or different would you say Chicago's heat/humidity are to, say, Hawaii's "dry side" (e.g. Big Island's Kona) as well as the "wet side" (e.g. Big Island's Hilo)? Is there much of a cooling breeze coming from the lake, or does the heat and humidity simply sit on top of the city all summer long? Does it cool off at night? Is it hotter in the city compared to the suburbs?

If the heat/humidity are unbearable, how do you cope? Open all the windows and rely on cross ventilation to cool you down? Shower several times a day? Hang out on a sleep porch? Retreat to the basement? Turn on a fan in front of a window? Or do you all have AC and use that instead? Or do you simply do nothing to cope, since you find the heat/humidity pleasant?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2014, 03:35 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,988,595 times
I have A/C. I hate extreme heat and humidity and Chicago does get it's fair share of those. It does vary from year to year, and day to day, and its certainly better than in the South. I have never been to Hawaii.

Old 02-19-2014, 03:45 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,920,176 times
I've been to Honolulu once. From what I experienced Honolulu's humidity is probably more - there were days comparable to Chicago, but most of the days I experienced there were a little more humid than Chicago. Not a ton.

Old 02-19-2014, 03:46 PM

2,504 posts, read 3,542,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sydlee View Post
Chicago's summers are known for being hot and humid. How does the city's heat and humidity compare to what one finds in Hawaii?
Have been to Hawaii once, and Chicago is stickier during the summer, but only for maybe one week each summer. In fact, Chicago can sometimes get hotter/more humid than Miami. There's certainly a "lake effect," particularly within 1/2 mi. of the lake and during the spring/early summer, but the lake effect primarily lowers temperature a few degrees. There's only so much a 100 mi. wide lake can do, unlike a 2000 mile wide ocean, and in particular offshore winds are much stronger by the ocean (especially in Hawaii, which is surrounded by thousands of miles of ocean).

The data point that I pay most attention to is dewpoint; it combines heat and humidity to judge evaporation potential, and sweat's cooling effect depends on it evaporating.

The urban heat island means that it's hotter in the city relative to the suburbs, especially at night, although that's counteracted slightly by the lake.

Sleeping outside, including on the back porch (Chicago apartments don't have metal fire escapes, they have wooden back stairs with porches) was once common in Chicago, but nowadays it's A/C.

Old 02-19-2014, 07:04 PM

498 posts, read 724,499 times
I just leave the city and then come back in the winter when the weather is nicer.

Old 02-22-2014, 10:31 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,940,693 times
Don't know about Hawaii but mostly just stay in air conditioning. If its not too hot out, open the windows and catch a breeze. The really hot hot humid weather we have demands some kind of air conditioning at least for me. Some people are not bothered by heat but it really affects me negatively.

Old 02-22-2014, 03:51 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,751,326 times
Walk slow, talk fast and drink lots of water.

Old 02-22-2014, 04:34 PM

575 posts, read 616,178 times
The heat and humidity is not a problem. On the other hand, the high for next Wednesday is forecast for +9 with a low of
-7. This is getting old.

Old 02-24-2014, 08:07 AM

1,657 posts, read 4,070,608 times
In both places the key to staying cool and refreshed is THE BEACH

Old 02-24-2014, 10:36 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,862,456 times
Chicago is more pleasant in the summer than much of the United States.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago