Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Italian Beef vs. Cheese Steak
Chicago's dripping delicacy 43 69.35%
the pride of South Philly 19 30.65%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 10:34 AM

38,707 posts, read 102,697,699 times

Advertisements

Monti's. Philly's Best. Papa's Philly. Eastern Style Pizza. And probably a handful of places where it's an afterthought item on the menu. And then of course there's always Jersey Mike's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2014, 12:36 PM

19 posts, read 43,286 times
Thumbs up Italian Beef

I haven't had an Italian Beef from a beef stand in years. I found Fabbri Beef, on Abberdeen between Lake and Randolph, just outside downtown and have been buying their beef for years. I cook it the way they told me to years ago and every time I make it for parties, family etc. it comes out tender, flavorful using their juice, and everyone wants to know where it came from. It is THE best beef, IMHO, in Chicago. Pair it with Damato's Bakery bread, or Gonnella and you're in Italian Beef heaven!

Dip the bread and soak it with the juice and pile on the beef, peppers and giardinara! Oh my goodness, Heaven!

Old 03-11-2014, 01:47 AM

104 posts, read 256,191 times
Italian beef for the win! nothing beats a soggy French bread stuffed with sliced Italian beef and giardiniera, as long as it doesn't have that awful red sauce or cheese.

Phillys, I've had some decent ones but I really think that chiz wiz stuff ruins perfectly good steak.

That said, I live in Florida now and get me italian beef shipped from portillos or bari beef, I think bari beef is a better value though I like portillos gravy more.

Old 03-12-2014, 01:07 AM

630 posts, read 1,086,513 times
D**N, I''m so frakin HUNGRY now! I'm literally salivating like a Pavlov dog!

Old 03-14-2014, 09:13 AM

458 posts, read 641,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PILMAN View Post
Italian beef for the win! nothing beats a soggy French bread stuffed with sliced Italian beef and giardiniera, as long as it doesn't have that awful red sauce or cheese.

Phillys, I've had some decent ones but I really think that chiz wiz stuff ruins perfectly good steak.
Cheese wiz is not very common on cheese steaks despite what you've seen on TV.
As a matter of fact, you can hit up almost any sub or sandwich shop in the entire United States and not even have the option of getting cheese wiz on it.
Provolone is the standard topping for cheese steaks all over the US.

Old 03-14-2014, 11:10 AM

493 posts, read 975,725 times
It really depends on the place, but I had to vote for the Philly. Not because of Philly the city, mind you, ironically I actually like the cheese steaks across the river in Jersey a lot better. One of the only good things about Jersey. When I was on the east coast two years ago I made the rounds and tried Pat's, Gino's, a couple chains, and then a couple sandwich shops in Jersey, and by far the Jersey side was better, though Gino's was pretty good.

That being said, this only applies to a great sandwich. I'd vote:

Great Philly > Great Italian Beef > Mediocre Italian Beef > Mediocre Philly

Old 03-14-2014, 03:28 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,645,257 times
The pizzeria closest to me is called Napoli and the owner moved down here from around Philly. The guy's food is outstanding; the other day I got a meatball sandwich with provolone. The fries are fresh cut and very meaty, as good as any I've had.

Old 03-14-2014, 05:20 PM

955 posts, read 1,820,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSloan View Post
Cheese wiz is not very common on cheese steaks despite what you've seen on TV.
As a matter of fact, you can hit up almost any sub or sandwich shop in the entire United States and not even have the option of getting cheese wiz on it.
Provolone is the standard topping for cheese steaks all over the US.
Hmmm, Wiz pretty much rules in Philly, according to Philly.com it's an 8 to 1 favorite at Pats. In fact American cheese proves to be more popular than provolone at many places. Genos goes thru 8 to 10 cases of whiz a day.

Old 03-14-2014, 05:29 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,592,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by williepotatoes View Post
Hmmm, Wiz pretty much rules in Philly, according to Philly.com it's an 8 to 1 favorite at Pats. In fact American cheese proves to be more popular than provolone at many places. Genos goes thru 8 to 10 cases of whiz a day.
Pat's and Geno's are both tourist traps and most of the other places use provolone. That said, the Wiz is actually pretty good on a cheese steak, but I don't think I'd eat that stuff on anything else.

Old 03-14-2014, 06:04 PM

955 posts, read 1,820,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
Pat's and Geno's are both tourist traps and most of the other places use provolone.
That doesn't seem to be the case according to this article. Read the comments from the restaurant owners. Very few say provo comes out on top in sales. Even Tony Luke is a cheez wiz guy.

Whiz on a cheesesteak: Hit or myth? - Philly.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago