Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 09:08 PM

61 posts, read 105,787 times

Advertisements

I put my kids and grandkids on notice that they can no longer fib to me about things that go on in Chicago (they live there, I don't). I told them that I have "friends" on this site who will give me a straight answer to any question, even if it's not in my best interest to know it, ha-ha. I love this site for that, and I thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2014, 10:17 AM

9,908 posts, read 9,579,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Lol, such an odd question.

I am surprised at all the warm and courteous responses the OP has received, as if out of the blue questions like this are a natural occurrence in this forum or city. Glad everyone here has been so nice!
I myself have thought about driving down every street in chicago, sightseeing. So I think the OP has a wonderful idea! better than mine

Old 03-04-2014, 04:50 PM

4 posts, read 19,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Lol, such an odd question.

I am surprised at all the warm and courteous responses the OP has received, as if out of the blue questions like this are a natural occurrence in this forum or city. Glad everyone here has been so nice!
I actually can't think of a better place on the entire internet that this forum to ask such a question!

I live in a small town in Ireland, i enjoy reading and researching about large cities - I'm not sure why exactly. I think the idea of being in a place so vast and huge with a wealth of things to do day and night really appeals to me. I grew up in London but i was to young to appreciate it and really see the city for what it is - it was only a playground to me at such a young age.

I was looking at Chicago on Google maps and couldn't get over how big it is, especially from north to south. Trying to get an idea of how long it would take me to walk it gives me a clear impression of its size - Irish cities are like villages in comparison. Maybe ill be lucky enough to visit some day, hopefully.

Old 03-05-2014, 06:20 AM

9,908 posts, read 9,579,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Osis_of_Deliver View Post
I actually can't think of a better place on the entire internet that this forum to ask such a question!

I live in a small town in Ireland, i enjoy reading and researching about large cities - I'm not sure why exactly. I think the idea of being in a place so vast and huge with a wealth of things to do day and night really appeals to me. I grew up in London but i was to young to appreciate it and really see the city for what it is - it was only a playground to me at such a young age.

I was looking at Chicago on Google maps and couldn't get over how big it is, especially from north to south. Trying to get an idea of how long it would take me to walk it gives me a clear impression of its size - Irish cities are like villages in comparison. Maybe ill be lucky enough to visit some day, hopefully.
I've lived here almost all my life.. I've seen Chicago neighborhoods and architecture change over the years. What was once in a place when I was very little, is now totally changed. One thing about Chicago, there are gems all over, sometimes hidden, and unless you know about them, they wont be found. For example, in Lincoln Park, over by Lake Michigan, is a pice of metal that is in the ground from the Chicago Fire, it melted, it looks like its a chunk, but its in the ground, kinda interesting piece of history. Then some of the buildings have old ghostly signage on it, worn down from weather and age, and if you know the backstory, you will know that the building and/or the worn down ad was from some time a long time ago, a part of history.

then you can go into various neighborhoods and see historical interesting buildings, and even some just old buildings that are interesting to look at. Prairie Historical District has some of the oldest most intersting mansions from the 1800's. anyway, I love touring various places and seeing what may have been there a long time ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago