Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 10:20 AM

1,988 posts, read 2,223,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleking View Post
The quality of schools/affordability ratio of Jefferson Park, Portage Park, Irving Park, etc compared to the suburbs still very much favors the suburbs.
Especially when you factor in the high school situation. The grade schools are fine in those areas but not so much the high schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 07:37 PM

1,612 posts, read 2,421,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCheetah View Post
WTF are you talking about? You can get yards and basements in the city. Yiu really think there are no houses in Chicago that have no yards or a basements?! All the houses I have been to in the city do.....
We were talking about East Lakeview. Can you direct me to all these affordable single family homes, with yards and basements, in East Lakeview?
Quote:
Alley parking spots when grocery shopping? What on Earth are you talking about?!
Are you sure you live in Chicago? In Chicago, we have alleys, and we generally park in alleys. So when you come home from the grocery store, you're parking in the alley, and bringing the groceries into your home from that side of the building. Not too many people have street-facing driveways, at least not in Lakeview.
Quote:
You really dont get it. I grew up in Roscoe Village, as a kid had a yard, a basement, grocery stores were a plenty, neighbors were friendly and all the kids played with each other.
Roscoe Village isn't similar to East Lakeview. It isn't nearly as urban, for one thing. It isn't particularly cheap, either. A single family home will not be affordable for most folks.
Quote:
we never had a problem with homeless people or partiers. You are aware that homeless people are only really found in downtown and near expressway exits? This aint San Fran. You really have shown your ignorance when it comes to Chicago.
Again, do you really live in Chicago based on these comments? You really think Chicago homeless only live "downtown and near expressway exits".

If I stroll down Broadway, between Belmont and Diversey, most of the time, I will cross paths with multiple homeless. When I lived there I knew the neighborhood homeless. There were others who hung out more by Lake Shore Drive and around the park, there were some runaway younger homeless around Boystown, and there were some quasi-homeless hanging out around some the few remaining SROs in North Lakeview.

Old 03-06-2014, 07:47 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,683,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiVegas View Post
We were talking about East Lakeview. Can you direct me to all these affordable single family homes, with yards and basements, in East Lakeview?

Are you sure you live in Chicago? In Chicago, we have alleys, and we generally park in alleys. So when you come home from the grocery store, you're parking in the alley, and bringing the groceries into your home from that side of the building. Not too many people have street-facing driveways, at least not in Lakeview.

Roscoe Village isn't similar to East Lakeview. It isn't nearly as urban, for one thing. It isn't particularly cheap, either. A single family home will not be affordable for most folks.

Again, do you really live in Chicago based on these comments? You really think Chicago homeless only live "downtown and near expressway exits".

If I stroll down Broadway, between Belmont and Diversey, most of the time, I will cross paths with multiple homeless. When I lived there I knew the neighborhood homeless. There were others who hung out more by Lake Shore Drive and around the park, there were some runaway younger homeless around Boystown, and there were some quasi-homeless hanging out around some the few remaining SROs in North Lakeview.
How many kids do you have and how long did you have them in Chicago?

Old 03-06-2014, 08:28 PM

527 posts, read 600,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Rothstein View Post
Especially when you factor in the high school situation. The grade schools are fine in those areas but not so much the high schools.
I think the primary reason the elementary schools in Chicago have gotten better but the high schools haven't is that the recent generation of young professionals who have chosen to remain in the city rather than bailing to Blandville Park Heights Forest are now old enough to have children in elementary school, but not yet in high school. I suspect the high school situation will begin to turn around as these kids reach high school. It's all about having parents around who have the education and resources to be involved in their children's education.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:43 PM

955 posts, read 1,831,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Rothstein View Post
That seems to be very true. Even if a CPS elementary school doesn't satisfy you, The parochial elementarys are still affordable for many. But those Catholic high schools are a steep price to pay for most.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:54 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,915,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucktownbabe View Post
I think the primary reason the elementary schools in Chicago have gotten better but the high schools haven't is that the recent generation of young professionals who have chosen to remain in the city rather than bailing to Blandville Park Heights Forest are now old enough to have children in elementary school, but not yet in high school. I suspect the high school situation will begin to turn around as these kids reach high school. It's all about having parents around who have the education and resources to be involved in their children's education.
"Blandville Park Heights Forest"---now that's "cutting". You left out "cul-de-sac", though.

I wonder how Chet would feel about this kind of...well, no, I think I know how Chet feels.

Old 03-06-2014, 09:33 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,823,496 times
Quote:

First of all who is saying East Lakeview is affordable?

Second, no people don't always park in alleys. They park in what's acalled a garage. Are you sure you have ever been to Chicago. Do you know what a gangway is? If not you know nothing of Chicago. However, many people in affordable and convenient neighborhoods like Roscoe Village, Irving Park, Lincoln Square, Portage Park, Jefferson Park DO park on the streets and don't always use their garages.

Why are you talking about urban? I thought you were talking about the city in general. Last time I checked Roscoe Village is an urban neighborhood and part of the city.

Yes, in general you do not see homeless people wandering around or sleeping in the streets in places like Lincoln Square, Logan Square, Avondale, North Center, Portage Park, etc. Most homeless people are found in downtown and near expressway exists. It's obvious you have don't know Chicago or have visited it much.

You need to get off your high horse. I have lived in the city for 26 years, raised here. So please don't act as you know more than me. You probably don't even know what a gangway is!

Old 03-06-2014, 11:32 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,422,980 times
Quote:
Are you sure you live in Chicago? In Chicago, we have alleys, and we generally park in alleys. So when you come home from the grocery store, you're parking in the alley, and bringing the groceries into your home from that side of the building.
Parking in alleys is illegal.

Do you mean parking in garages in alleys? Or in the building's parking spots by the alley? Not sure what the problem with that would be, at least you have a spot.

Old 03-06-2014, 11:36 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,920,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
Parking in alleys is illegal.

Do you mean parking in garages in alleys? Or in the building's parking spots by the alley? Not sure what the problem with that would be, at least you have a spot.
It seems like the poster doesn't really know what "alley parking" means in the context of Chicago and takes it as face value. People who have "alley parking" have garages to park in, or actual small parking lots in the back of their apartment buildings. The people who DO park in the alley itself do it for a few minutes usually and there's still enough room to get through in that case anyway. What's the big deal? It's nowhere even close to an issue. Alley parking really means "alley access." There's no issue with having to drive down a narrow street to your parking spot. Your spot is right next to your place.

If you wanted to bring up a parking issue, it would be people not having a private spot in either a lot or garage and having to park a few blocks away. But even then what's the big deal if you aren't carrying a lot of stuff or anything heavy?

Last edited by marothisu; 03-06-2014 at 11:44 PM..

Old 03-07-2014, 06:34 AM

1,988 posts, read 2,223,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucktownbabe View Post
Eh, we'll see. The northwest side neighborhoods have been good areas to live for decades. The public high schools? Not so good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago