Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 04:11 PM

6 posts, read 9,320 times

Advertisements

To be honest I feel unsafe most of the time. I lived in a ok neighborhood in the city of Chicago for 8 years, and my family and I had experienced robbery, theft, broken car windows (several times). I rode train (CTA) to work everyday, and I will see people acting or saying things that are not appropriate in the public at least once a week.
I tried very hard to love the city but I think I will move to the suburb eventually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2014, 04:33 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,420,348 times
Um not to turn this into a transplant/suburb/born&raised argument was referenced on page 2, But I was born in the city and I generally never refrained from going to "dangerous" parts of town not exploring. Whereas people who aren't from the city usually heed warnings and never step foot in areas deemed dangerous. People new to a city might want to do all the "city" things are more of a clean slate or explore, a lot of people who grew up here have done these things all their life, albeit in small intervals at a time. For example, I've gone to at least 2 or 3 different museums around Chicago just from school field trips, but barely every go to any when I was grown up.

Old 03-11-2014, 01:14 AM

103 posts, read 257,644 times
Went to chicago when I was a kid with my parents for this chocolate convention and while walking through the area, had a poor guy try to sell us his socks, of course me being young we were freaked out slightly and ran and the guy was chasing us, thinking bad I feel kinda bad.

Other time my brother and I with our family went through Pilsen again when we were younger around 1995 to eat some mexican food and went past a alley, heard a dumpster shaking like crazy so figured either a bum was sleeping in there and had a bad dream or what not. Either way, we hightailed out of there.

Last time I was in chicago was in 2009 well technically the suburb of oak lawn, never really felt in danger but at dark, some areas feel uncomfortable, I was waiting for the el I think near where all the trains are stored and some of the people creeped the crap out of me but overall never really felt really unsafe, just some rough areas.

Old 03-11-2014, 07:57 AM

86 posts, read 159,406 times
Eh, I'm not one to get too nervous generally. But I wandered to the subway just east of the Bryn Mawyr stop at like 1 or 1:30 in the morning to get some drunken food on Saturday and I felt a bit uneasy.

Old 03-11-2014, 08:17 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,779,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantless1 View Post
But I wandered to the subway just east of the Bryn Mawyr stop at like 1 or 1:30 in the morning to get some drunken food on Saturday and I felt a bit uneasy.
Must have been some bad food.

Old 03-11-2014, 09:45 AM

31 posts, read 55,174 times
Someone tried to break into my apartment when I lived in North Center. I was home (and asleep as it was about 2 am on a work night). He was trying to bum rush the door after pressing the buzzer repeatedly. I called 9-1-1. It took me quite a while to go to bed at night without thinking of that guy trying to get through my lobby door.

I'm 45, white male - 25 year resident of the city. I don't scare easily (and I'm not a 'tough guy' either) - things that make me uneasy - or uncomfortable I just quietly get the heck out the situation - whether it be some crappy Red Line ride straight from hell or driving in an unfamiliar neighborhood looking for that estate sale I saw posted on Craigslist.

Old 03-11-2014, 09:55 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,962,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jepa View Post
Someone tried to break into my apartment when I lived in North Center. I was home (and asleep as it was about 2 am on a work night). He was trying to bum rush the door after pressing the buzzer repeatedly. I called 9-1-1. It took me quite a while to go to bed at night without thinking of that guy trying to get through my lobby door.

I'm 45, white male - 25 year resident of the city. I don't scare easily (and I'm not a 'tough guy' either) - things that make me uneasy - or uncomfortable I just quietly get the heck out the situation - whether it be some crappy Red Line ride straight from hell or driving in an unfamiliar neighborhood looking for that estate sale I saw posted on Craigslist.
That is a reason to be scared. If you can't feel safe at home that's a problem. I have a friend who was faced with the same thing in Nashville and he pulled his gun just in case the burglar had the nerve to walk through the door.

How do you get your peace back after that?

Old 03-11-2014, 10:20 AM

31 posts, read 55,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
That is a reason to be scared. If you can't feel safe at home that's a problem. I have a friend who was faced with the same thing in Nashville and he pulled his gun just in case the burglar had the nerve to walk through the door.

How do you get your peace back after that?
When I called 9-1-1 - the cops were there pretty quick- so that was settling. I asked the officers about it - they said it was probably random - and a pretty dim prowler due to the location of my apartment building -(right off Lincoln and near a busy corner bar where there are cameras). That helped ease it a little - but only time took care of my real uneasiness. Truthfully - it was a 'good' thing - as I now make sure I lock my doors no matter what- and am more conscious of who I see walking around and things like that. I'm not paranoid about it - but it served as a reminder that I do live in an urban environment.

Old 03-11-2014, 01:19 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,489,019 times
Those moments on the freeways where traffic is very heavy but everyone is moving at 90 plus miles per hour

Old 03-11-2014, 01:31 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,962,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jepa View Post
When I called 9-1-1 - the cops were there pretty quick- so that was settling. I asked the officers about it - they said it was probably random - and a pretty dim prowler due to the location of my apartment building -(right off Lincoln and near a busy corner bar where there are cameras). That helped ease it a little - but only time took care of my real uneasiness. Truthfully - it was a 'good' thing - as I now make sure I lock my doors no matter what- and am more conscious of who I see walking around and things like that. I'm not paranoid about it - but it served as a reminder that I do live in an urban environment.
I was robbed at my front door in suburban Charlotte. Till this day I am a little paranoid coming home late.

It can happen to anyone regardless of where we live. Yes it's normal for us to be more cautious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago