Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 07:09 PM

7 posts, read 60,138 times

Advertisements

I lived at luella 79th st There was a great lakefront option where you could walk ride a bike or even just hang out but the winter months are a little more difficult to live thru. There are stores to go to but you really need to know what you are doing and be very street wise when you are on a mission to get gas for the car or just groceries. Many people have been robbed and assaulted in this area for many years now and it does not matter if you are black or white. The police work in that area is very limited because they put up those cameras and they expect the cameras to do all the work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2008, 06:46 PM

16 posts, read 49,077 times
If I'm not mistaken, I thought South Shore was home to a black professional population who occupy all those turn of the century mansions. I've been down there years ago and would have swore that I was somewhere in Evanston or Wilmette.

Old 02-11-2008, 08:01 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,183,369 times
There are some fine old buildings in South Shore, but what you're describing sounds more like Kenwood, on the north side of Hyde Park.

Old 02-12-2008, 07:36 PM

162 posts, read 683,721 times
Oh wow, race really does matter when choosing a neighborhood in Chicago, GO FIGURE??!

Old 02-13-2008, 11:45 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,184,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love Cobb View Post
Oh wow, race really does matter when choosing a neighborhood in Chicago, GO FIGURE??!
If you don't mind; it don't matter.

Old 02-13-2008, 03:49 PM

16 posts, read 49,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
There are some fine old buildings in South Shore, but what you're describing sounds more like Kenwood, on the north side of Hyde Park.
No, I'm pretty sure its South Shore. I'm familiar with Hyde Park/Kenwood area and South Shore has an area that is pretty much identical to the woodlawn/greenwood/ellis district of Kenwood. The area in South Shore is called the Jackson Park Highlands and is home to a number of prominent blacks a number of whom send their kids to UC Lab school! The area has a number of stylish tudor, romanesque, italianate style homes. As I understand it, along with Kenwood and Hyde Park, JP Highlands of South Shore was the place to be if you were black and wealthy and from what I hear it is still a nice area.

Old 02-13-2008, 06:02 PM

1,085 posts, read 2,233,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpdoxey View Post
No, I'm pretty sure its South Shore. I'm familiar with Hyde Park/Kenwood area and South Shore has an area that is pretty much identical to the woodlawn/greenwood/ellis district of Kenwood. The area in South Shore is called the Jackson Park Highlands and is home to a number of prominent blacks a number of whom send their kids to UC Lab school! The area has a number of stylish tudor, romanesque, italianate style homes. As I understand it, along with Kenwood and Hyde Park, JP Highlands of South Shore was the place to be if you were black and wealthy and from what I hear it is still a nice area.
You're right. The Highlands are nice and hidden

Old 02-13-2008, 07:10 PM

23 posts, read 73,672 times
Hey Michguy76 I'm leaving Detroit also. (Detroit CITY!)
Let's find a place together LOL.
I'm surprised the UN is not having Detroiters register as official refugees.

Old 02-26-2008, 06:20 AM

7 posts, read 60,138 times
No the south side of Hyde Park. 79th street is a long way from Hyde Park. If you take LSD south and get off at Stony Island, then go to 79th turn east and check out the neighborhood. Very rough area. But there are some bigger and more expensive homes in general area. But crime and street peddling is not uncommon.

Old 09-20-2008, 09:24 PM

7 posts, read 25,212 times
Any intel on the Quadrangles, 67th & S Shore Dr? Looking into 1 month stay next summer, will have my car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago