Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you like to see HOV/HOT lanes in Chicagoland?
YES 7 33.33%
NO 14 66.67%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 05:30 AM

525 posts, read 815,631 times

Advertisements

I have seen in my eyes and they indeed often zap faster during rush hours than normal lanes.

I believe Chicago would really benefit from it even though it is dense city with great public transportation, but outside the city suburbs particularly in Cook and Dupage county would reality benefit if the highways were wider to include additional left lane that would be HOV. Even inside city limit, can you imagine if we had that on northwest side on I-90 instead of one-directional express lanes. This would benefit more as the traffic is often congested on both sides.

A lot of other states in large metro areas have it. NYS, Texas, Arizona, Nevada, California, Minnesota, Washington have that. Northern Illinois should have that too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2014, 06:00 AM

1,988 posts, read 2,223,348 times
Unless things have changed, I don't believe you can turn existing lanes into HOV lanes. They must be new lanes.

Old 04-11-2014, 06:53 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,106,669 times
Yes, the reversible on the Kennedy should definitely be HOT.

Old 04-11-2014, 10:53 AM

359 posts, read 549,175 times
I have seen the problems though with HOV lanes. If one person breaks down in the lane, it causes the lane to be unusable. I travel around a lot on I.T. gigs, and I have seen in places like Dallas, the HOV lane on US 75 every morning would have a car break-down at some point during rush hour and then everyone in that lane would be backed up for miles, because the lane had those white pylons installed and people could not get out of the lane, or traffic was moving too quickly for them to be able to exit even when there were no pylons.

Old 04-11-2014, 02:21 PM

3,697 posts, read 4,997,437 times
For most of Chicago, esp. the expressways are too narrow for it. I don't see the benefit. If you didn't want or need the car, you simply would have used Metra or the EL. I don't see the use of them on the ike(too narrow), the Kennedy(maybe if you took the reversible express lanes, but the reversible express lanes would need to be rebuilt to allow access to the rest of the Kennedy and I am not sure there is enough space to split those lanes). Dan Ryan has lanes aplenty. Lakeshore drive maybe.

Old 04-11-2014, 03:11 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
In Los Angeles their is talk that the diamond lanes (Car pool lanes) are not as benefitial as thought. The traffic is so bad that many times those lanes would be better served as an additional lane of traffic. On top of that, many times you have some yahoo that is going under the flow of traffic in that lane and the regular lanes are faster than the diamond lane. Others are stuck behind the slow mover causing problems.

Old 04-11-2014, 03:18 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,370,617 times
Once upon time LSD had retractable hydraulcally operated lane dividers. They were an engineering marvel but a maintenance nightmare that were eliminated in the 1970s. The fact is lane dividers then and now really don't help more traffic but do create additional delays, accidents and aggravation.

I agree with others that have mentioned the FACT that any sane person in our region that can take advantage of rail lines does and the burden of HOV lanes would squeeze out folks almost certainly are 'forced" to drive because of either work schedule or lack of access tto rail in their area. Why make things worse?

BTW Blago did back a few studies of HOV lanes and both IDOT and the ISTHA found there was little reason to proceed with such things as the range of negatives far outweighed any benefits. I believe a related study did suggest the "express bus on shoulder" route that does run on the Stevenson so there is at least something positive to say about the study. Funny thing too is Blago did these studies to show how "different" he was from Georgie boy when he proceeded to spend billions on the rebuild of the Hillside area interchange where 290 & 88 join despite the fact that engineers said it would just shift the tie-ups a few miles east, which as anyone that drives this route can postively state is 100% true. And Blago ended up just as willing to break laws as Georgie...

Old 04-11-2014, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
In Los Angeles their is talk that the diamond lanes (Car pool lanes) are not as benefitial as thought. The traffic is so bad that many times those lanes would be better served as an additional lane of traffic. On top of that, many times you have some yahoo that is going under the flow of traffic in that lane and the regular lanes are faster than the diamond lane. Others are stuck behind the slow mover causing problems.
According to CalTrans website, diamond lines are under construction in LA. If they are so horribly not beneficial why is project not on hold?

Furthermore in Bay Area, I have seen diamond lines working fine especially on I-280 between San Jose and Mountain View. Often I have seen moving vehicles a little faster. There are slow moving looms but this hasn't caused problems because those lanes don't have dividers up there.

Old 04-11-2014, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post

I agree with others that have mentioned the FACT that any sane person in our region that can take advantage of rail lines does and the burden of HOV lanes would squeeze out folks almost certainly are 'forced" to drive because of either work schedule or lack of access tto rail in their area. Why make things worse?
Not everybody works in Chicago downtown. What about folks who work in Schaumburg, Northbrook, other suburbs in Chicagoland? Especially those who also live in remote suburbs and would not take advantage of CTA or Metra (and so far Metra only goes between the city and suburbs but not between suburbs like Schaumburg-Naperville).

I-290 would not get advantage of HOV line because its too narrow, but I would see it beneficial for I-294 tollway.

Old 04-11-2014, 04:18 PM

3,697 posts, read 4,997,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle242 View Post
Not everybody works in Chicago downtown. What about folks who work in Schaumburg, Northbrook, other suburbs in Chicagoland? Especially those who also live in remote suburbs and would not take advantage of CTA or Metra (and so far Metra only goes between the city and suburbs but not between suburbs like Schaumburg-Naperville).

I-290 would not get advantage of HOV line because its too narrow, but I would see it beneficial for I-294 tollway.
One thing you learn from living in this region is that you don't want to be too remote from work due to snow storm and 294 compared to most expressways isn't that backed up, either during rush or other times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago