Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2014, 08:52 AM

2 posts, read 3,541 times

Advertisements

I'm moving from New Mexico to Chicago in late July/early August to attend graduate school, and am looking for decent rental companies.

After much research, I'm looking at Lakeview, Andersonville, or Logan Square. I'm going to be attending DePaul, want to be near the El, and want a relatively safe neighborhood. I'm hoping to spend $900 or under with utilities and have a dog. If there are other neighborhoods that fit this bill and run cheaper than Lincoln Park, I'd appreciate any input there as well. I was looking at Rogers Park, which is more of a hike to campus, but I'm a little freaked out with all of the shootings taking place recently. I'm a single woman, and will need to walk home alone at night.

I'm not having any luck on Craigslist, and am hoping some of you might be able to recommend rental agencies in the area.

Thanks for any info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2014, 10:19 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,915,941 times
On that budget in those neighborhoods you will be looking at a studio for sure. You may be lucky with a 1 bedroom but they will be harder to find. I'd also look at the neighborhoods of North Center, Lincoln Square, and Ravenswood. These are on the Brown Line (or can be) which will go down to DePaul. They're some of the safest neighborhoods in the city, not far away, and do have things to do in them (of course, you can easily travel to other neighborhoods to do things). Edgewater may be another option along the Red Line, which is safer than Rogers Park and just south of it. The rent in these neighborhoods on average is cheaper than a Lincoln Park or Lakeview, so it may be possible to find a 1 bedroom at your price but no guarantees.

There are other sites besides Craigslist you should be looking at first:
* Zillow: Real Estate, Apartments, Mortgage & Home Values in the US
* Domu Chicago | Chicagoland Apartments
* Apartments for Rent & Homes for Rent - Rent.com® Apartment Finder

Old 04-19-2014, 07:14 PM

988 posts, read 1,740,025 times
I moved to Andersonvlle about a year ago and love it! I will say, if you could at all swing a weekend to come visit, you'd probably have better luck finding a place by walking around the neighborhood; a lot of landlords don't advertise online and post for rent signs up in a window or on the front gate. It's how we found our amazing apartment that's pet-friendly, and never would have happened if we looked exclusively online.

Old 04-20-2014, 10:33 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,987,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berniekosar19 View Post
I moved to Andersonvlle about a year ago and love it! I will say, if you could at all swing a weekend to come visit, you'd probably have better luck finding a place by walking around the neighborhood; a lot of landlords don't advertise online and post for rent signs up in a window or on the front gate. It's how we found our amazing apartment that's pet-friendly, and never would have happened if we looked exclusively online.
Hey Bernie, is $900 possible in Andersonville? I'm hoping to move back to the city in the next few months, and what I've seen online is is at least $1,000 for a 1 br.

Old 04-20-2014, 02:04 PM

255 posts, read 583,566 times
$900 is possible in Andersonville. I just rented out one of my 1BRs for $895. I've been putting my listings on domu.com.

Old 04-21-2014, 08:37 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,987,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
$900 is possible in Andersonville. I just rented out one of my 1BRs for $895. I've been putting my listings on domu.com.
Thanks!

Old 04-21-2014, 12:57 PM

725 posts, read 3,014,202 times
Rental Agencies (free service to tenant)

Search Apartment Rentals - Chicago Apartment Finders - my friend is an agent for them and has been the top producer for 2 years in a row, if you want me to refer you to him

Find Apartments for Rent in Chicago and Evanston | Apartment People
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago