Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 05:25 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,218,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gia342134 View Post
I have lived in Midtown ATL. I was never robbed or attacked, nor did I ever feel unsafe while out and about.
Quote:
I seriously doubt that random "yuppies" are robbed and attacked on a regular basis in Atlanta.
Yes they are, especially in places they have gentrified like East Atlanta and Kirkwood. If they aren't being robbed on the streets, their homes and cars are constantly being broken into.

Quote:
Much of the crime primarily occurs throughout the bad areas.
No it does not. I guess you didn't hear about the kidnappings and robberies in Buckhead recently and how a coalition has been trying to fight the increase in crime there. I guess you never heard the stories of Buckhead wives being robbed of their wedding rings. The main reason clubs were shut down in Buckhead was because of the crime there. Hold-ups are increasing in Buckhead. A young white woman (college student) was car jacked, kipnapped, robbed and murdered there also. Criminals come into the rich areas to rob a lot in Atlanta. I guess you don't remember the mass shooting that happened in a Buckhead office building

Say what you want. It still doesn't change the fact Atlanta has way less people yet more crime than Chicago. Fortunately crime over all has been going down in both cities. However, it's only until now that Atlanta hasn't been on the FBI's top ten most dangerous cities list, while Chicacog is NEVER on that list. In the near twenty years I lived in Atlanta, it seems it was on the top ten most dangerous cities list every single year.

I have lived in both Virginia-Highland and Buckhead (I just moved from Buckhead in Februuary of 2014) and yuppies get robbed there and sometimes killed. Hell, just a few years back a man was gunned down in broad daylight in Virginia-Highland. A month before I left Atlanta was nearly accosted in Buckhead walking home from the store by some vagrant who had been watching and following me since I had gone in to the store. I also heard a gun shot outside my apartment around that time at 4 am one morning.

Last edited by Atlanta_BD; 04-24-2014 at 06:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2014, 11:50 AM

928 posts, read 1,713,236 times
Quote:
I would recommend the DC metro area over Chicago and Atlanta. I currently reside 5 miles outside of DC and although it can be a little expensive, it's well worth the money. I especially like the culture and mixture of various groups of professional people.
Out of curiosity, are you black?

Old 04-24-2014, 04:48 PM

3,793 posts, read 4,599,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
Please lol. 40 shootings every weekend is normal in Chicago when it warms up. I challenge anybody to find any link where Atlanta had over 6 shootings in one weekend every other week let along 40+ every week.
In 2012, Atlanta ranked 12th among U.S. cities in homicide rate and Chicago ranked 13th. That was the year that Chicago had its much-publicized uptick in homicides.

In 2013 Chicago had its fewest homicides in nearly 50 years. I haven't seen Atlanta's stats for 2013 yet, but they would have needed to have a major dropoff from 2012 to have fallen below Chicago in homicide rate.

Obviously in terms of total numbers, Chicago is going to have significantly more of everything (including shootings) because it has 2.7 million people to Atlanta's 437,000.

Old 04-24-2014, 08:41 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,784,018 times
Quote:
I have lived in Midtown ATL. I was never robbed or attacked, nor did I ever feel unsafe while out and about.

I seriously doubt that random "yuppies" are robbed and attacked on a regular basis in Atlanta. Much of the crime primarily occurs throughout the bad areas.
That poster is making up stuff again. They just so happened to see every crime in Atlanta but never seen one crime in a Chicago lol

I challenge Atlanta bd....since so many yuppies are killed in Atlanta post at least 5 articles of a yuppies being robbed and killed in Atlanta for the past 3 weeks since it happens so much.....go!

Old 04-25-2014, 07:14 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,464,397 times
Quote:
That poster is making up stuff again. They just so happened to see every crime in Atlanta but never seen one crime in a Chicago lol

I challenge Atlanta bd....since so many yuppies are killed in Atlanta post at least 5 articles of a yuppies being robbed and killed in Atlanta for the past 3 weeks since it happens so much.....go!
The thing about City Data is everyone brings their OWN experiences to the table, which might not reflect reality. I don't think Atlanta BD is lying. She is simply giving HER perspective of living in Atlanta, and if she has been there 20 years, I'd find her credible.

Most of the people who think Chicago is dangerous have not lived here and are going off media reports. I roll my eyes all the time in this forum when people talk about unsafe neighborhoods. I have been in the mean streets of Austin, Roseland and West Garfield Park countless times, and I'm still alive to talk about it. Would I prefer to spend my time in those neighborhoods? No, but as someone else mentioned, crime is usually targeted. You are probably going to be more of a target if you look like you don't belong. But I'd look like (and BE) a target in Podunk Nowhere, IL. Welcome to America.

Old 04-25-2014, 11:36 AM

Quote:

Hi Tonygeorgia!

Old 04-25-2014, 09:19 PM

490 posts, read 649,710 times
I'm a Chicagoan in DC and I would have to vote for Chicago. Single and making decent money hardly gets you a one bedroom apartment, let along purchasing anything. The job market in DC actually slowed down below the national average, it actually placed dead last in the country as far as job growth. As far as integration, it's still a very segregated city with amazing wealth on one side, and crushing poverty on the other. There's not much in between. Traffic is also terrible, and the food, sports, and nightlife don't compare to Chicago. I'm currently hunting for a job elsewhere (hopefully Chicago, but also Texas and Colorado just for an example) along with a fair amount of other people I know out here.

I vote for Chicago.

Old 04-25-2014, 09:23 PM

490 posts, read 649,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
The thing about City Data is everyone brings their OWN experiences to the table, which might not reflect reality. I don't think Atlanta BD is lying. She is simply giving HER perspective of living in Atlanta, and if she has been there 20 years, I'd find her credible.

Most of the people who think Chicago is dangerous have not lived here and are going off media reports. I roll my eyes all the time in this forum when people talk about unsafe neighborhoods. I have been in the mean streets of Austin, Roseland and West Garfield Park countless times, and I'm still alive to talk about it. Would I prefer to spend my time in those neighborhoods? No, but as someone else mentioned, crime is usually targeted. You are probably going to be more of a target if you look like you don't belong. But I'd look like (and BE) a target in Podunk Nowhere, IL. Welcome to America.
Two people were shot at the national zoo in DC which is one of the yuppist/wealthiest parts of DC. Crime happens pretty much anywhere, in any city. Just a fact of life no matter where you live.

Old 04-26-2014, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
Some folks in the Atlanta forum feel that I want to hate Atlanta for the heck of it. Some have even accused me of having "an agenda" with regards to what I post about Atlanta--whatever that is supposed to mean.

Let me just say that my move to Atlanta was circumstantial. I didn't know much about Atlanta before I moved there outside of MLK, Peachtree Streets, Freaknik, Morehouse, Spelman and that the Olympics were held there in 1996. That was literally all I knew about Atlanta. Then when my mom decided she wanted to move there, she told me that there were lots of jobs there and houses were much more affordable (affordable to her because she was moving there from CA where houses are super expensive).

Anyway, once I moved there, I viewed Atlanta as a clean slate and had no expectations outside of just trying to find a job starting out there. Before I moved there, my mom would call me complaining about how bad the crime was in Atlanta and that someone tried to break into her new apartment the very first night she was living in it. We never experienced break-ins living on Chicago's south side or anywhere in Chicagoland that we lived.

I didn't realize how off the hook Atlanta was with crime until I moved there. I just assumed that because Chicago was much bigger and had gang problems that the crime in Chicago was worse. Boy was I wrong! I never kept up with FBI crime lists until I moved to Atlanta because it was always in the news that it was in the top ten most dangerous, while Chicago and NYC wasn't even in the top 20.

To be honest, I never heard all the hype about Atlanta's greatness until I moved there, because no one I knew in Chicago was interested in or sweating Atlanta like that. And the few people I did know who moved to Atlanta moved right back to Chicago, expressing that they did not like Atlanta at all and would never live there again. They won't even go visit.

I didn't have any "beef" with Atlanta, nor did I have any unrealstic expectations about the city prior to moving there. After living there for many years, I simply found that it had a lot of crime and doesn't match up to all the hype that surrounds it. People carried on about how much cheaper it is to have a house there (especially for black people) and that's why people more there. Again, this was something that I didn't get because most of the black people in Chicago I know, my own family included, owned houses--many owing many rental properties in addition to their own homes.

This isn't me being negative, but rather my experiences and observations living in Atlanta:

-I assumed Atlanta had less crime than Chicago when I first moved there. I was wrong about that. I never knew what a home invasion was until I moved to Atlanta. When I moved to Atlanta's suburbs, one apartment I lived in was robbed, and another one was shot into. Nothing like that ever happened to me in Chicago.

-I thought Atlanta was cheaper to live. I also found that to be untrue. It's only cheap in the suburbs and bad areas (a lot of Atlanta's burbs are also unsafe), and even the nicer burbs there are really expensive. You can get a place in a nice area on the lake in Chicago for what they are charging for rent in Atlanta's good suburbs. Atlanta's rents are going even higher, then factor in that you MUST be car dependent in Atlanta, you end up actually spending more there.

-I learned that all these so-called cheap Atlanta houses people were buying up weren't in Atlanta at all but in the suburbs, with many of those burbs having high crime and very bad shool districts to the point of their accreditations being revoked.

-The houses in Atlanta's better areas or the safest areas with the best schools are not affordable for most people. They are for the wealthy. Houses in Atlanta's best areas start at $450k to $750k--and even some of those areas still have to deal with street robberies and break-ins or home invasions.

-Atlanta was supposedly a place full of opportunity and lots of jobs--even more so for blacks. That turned out to also be untrue, as the pay there is low and jobs are viturally impossible to get. I've met many black people with great experience and college degrees in Atlanta who struggle with homelessness. I left Atlanta because I couldn't find work there after searching for five years, as did my family and many of my friends.

-If you want an active lifestyle with walkabilty and nightlife, you are limited really to only a few areas, which are in the same part of the city. Atlanta is not walkable, as parts of the city and most of the burbs don't have sidewalks.

-There aren't a lot of neighborhood parks there and you can't just walk to a park unless you live in the areas I mentioned above.

-As I've already mentioned, I was really shocked at how ghetto and non-progressive the so-called educated blacks are in Atlanta. They are very religious though if that's your thing.

Old 04-26-2014, 05:47 PM

104 posts, read 141,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostopsy View Post
I'm a Chicagoan in DC and I would have to vote for Chicago. Single and making decent money hardly gets you a one bedroom apartment, let along purchasing anything. The job market in DC actually slowed down below the national average, it actually placed dead last in the country as far as job growth. As far as integration, it's still a very segregated city with amazing wealth on one side, and crushing poverty on the other. There's not much in between. Traffic is also terrible, and the food, sports, and nightlife don't compare to Chicago. I'm currently hunting for a job elsewhere (hopefully Chicago, but also Texas and Colorado just for an example) along with a fair amount of other people I know out here.

I vote for Chicago.

Thank you for sharing! Out of curiousity are you AA? I am surprised that you feel DC is so segregated. My best friend is there while finishing up law school so I frequently visit her. She has three roommates, one asian, one white, and one gay mexican male, I can't even make this up. Across the hall lives a hispanic family and right next door are three white college students. There are also several africans on the floor. This is just one floor but the entire building is diverse in this way. This is the sort of thing that I love about DC. The neighborhood she lives in his adams morgan, which is one of my favorite in the city. I also have a friend that lives in dupont and one in Columbia Heights so I am pretty familiar with many of the neighborhoods there. I can honestly say that each time I take a stroll in any in DC rather it's Georgetown, dupont, or adams morgan, I always see people of various ethnicities. I never feel like the odd ball out. I can't say that Georgetown has a lot of miniorities that reside within the neighborhood, but at least I still see plenty of them while walking around. I can't say the same for Chicago's north side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago