Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 12:59 AM

408 posts, read 997,921 times

Advertisements

I like the CTA, and it has gotten me where I needed for $2.25 with possible a transfer. But in general, how do you feel about it personally at times? When I go on the blue line, I really do feel like the train will just jump off the track at times. No, I am not a dramatic or caring people, but it does startle me at times. How do you feel about he quality of your public transportation system? What would you add or delete from it? Do you ever feel in danger, or is your ride without worries? How would you rate it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2014, 01:49 AM

498 posts, read 977,880 times
The trains I find to be great, but in the winter because of my location I tend to mostly ride the buses. Those get annoyingly overcrowded. There have been times that two 22 buses have passed my stop because they were so crammed full that no one else could fit inside. If they would pay a little more attention to route optimisation and ensure that there are enough buses to service a route during rush hour I would be a much happier rider.

Then there are the times the bus drivers are late. I get really pissed when I stand at my stop (ten minute interval), wait half an hour, and then see three of my bus come along at the same time.

Old 05-06-2014, 02:35 AM

410 posts, read 491,869 times
The standard I'm looking at is the efficiency, comprehensiveness and timeliness of Tokyo's transit system. For an American system it's fine.

Old 05-06-2014, 04:45 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,970,936 times
I think the system is great by American standards.

The condition of the cars, slow zones on the blue line forest park leg is hideous. It can take 45 minutes to get from Washington to the end of the line.

The new trains are normal. They dont remind you of riding runaway mine train at 6 flags turning the corners. But they need to stick with the regular seating unless they are able to get wider cars.

Old 05-06-2014, 05:09 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerio View Post
How do you feel about the quality of public transit?
In short... public transportation in Chicago is very comprehensive but often not time-efficient compared to driving. Using public transportation, you can get from any Point A to any Point B within a couple blocks at either end; the question is, can you get there in a time-efficient manner and/or can you get there during off-hours?

The secret to a satisfying public-transit-reliant life in Chicago is to live, work, shop, and generally recreate along one of the train lines, or along two of them if they share a common transfer point relatively close to where you intend to live/work/shop/generally recreate. The closer you live to a train line and the closer your common destinations are to stations on that same line, the better. Once transfers are involved, the equation changes. And if the transfer is from train to bus, or even worse, bus to bus . . . all bets are off.

Old 05-06-2014, 06:58 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
The Blue Line crash at O'Hare notwithstanding, I have found that public transit in Chicagi is quite good. Even when they had the Blue Line transformation several years ago, and they were working on several stops at once, and had to rely on bus transfers, the system went pretty smoothly..

Having at least a couple of lines working 24/7 is a definite plus, too...

Old 05-06-2014, 07:02 AM

2,474 posts, read 4,166,049 times
I use the bus more, and squirrels is spot on with his comments. It's ridiculous when you wait 25 minutes for a bus in sub zero temps. They need to figure out how to get buses to arrive at regular intervals, no huge gaps between buses. Seattle can do it, I think they could if they gave a damn.

Old 05-06-2014, 07:05 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times
I rode the Marta in Atlanta a few times and felt the system was cleaner, faster, cheaper, and more modern.

Old 05-06-2014, 07:14 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
Just by having a rapid rail transit system, Chicago is way ahead of most American cities in terms of public transit. New York is clearly the gold standard in the U.S. in terms of coverage and frequency, but we compare favorably to just about any other city in the country. I think we're on par with or better than Boston, D.C., and Philadelphia--though D.C. has a much newer train system that is faster and more efficient.

Old 05-06-2014, 07:17 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
I rode the Marta in Atlanta a few times and felt the system was cleaner, faster, cheaper, and more modern.
And it doesn't cover any ground and is hardly used. Dallas/Ft. Worth isn't exactly transit friendly.

Plenty of "newer" cities have built modern train systems with a couple of branches, but they are rarely as comprehensive as the "L" system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago