Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 07:38 PM

289 posts, read 395,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
If you read the interview, you'd know why he doesn't want to sell it to someone else. And to be honest, I was giving him crap before I read it, and what he said makes perfect sense.
I agree with his stance on not wanting to sell, but after 13 years in business I expect that someone would have been groomed to take over as a manager. This is textbook definition of the basics of developing a sustainable business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2014, 08:39 PM

15,331 posts, read 23,838,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toroid View Post
I agree with his stance on not wanting to sell, but after 13 years in business I expect that someone would have been groomed to take over as a manager. This is textbook definition of the basics of developing a sustainable business.
From a business standpoint, I agree. However, him doing this doesn't mean that nobody else knew his stuff to take over. It's not like these things are mutually exclusive.

Old 05-12-2014, 09:19 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,192,878 times
I'm really surprised how many people don't seem able to understand the concept of someone doing something because they love it, and not to build a "sustainable business" or maximize profits. Hot Doug's is exactly what the name implies - his place where he does what he wants the way he wants to. Ultimately it's his name on the door, and he values his name and isn't going to hand it over to anyone else. It's not about being a control freak, it's about valuing your reputation. That attitude is a big part of what makes it special, and why it is so successful.

I'm sure Doug has enough money to last him till the end of his days, and leave a nice chunk for his kids as well. Once you reach that point why should you worry about "throwing money away"? Even the greediest people in finance aren't really doing it to make more money, they're doing to beat the other guy.

Old 05-12-2014, 09:32 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,157,040 times
Doug Sohn is not married and has no kids.

Hot Doug's Owner Grinds Out Tale of Weeny Startup - Business - Skokie, IL Patch

He specifically turned down offers to expand over the years -- Doug Sohn of Hot Doug's Talks Expansion, Retirement, and an 8-Figure Deal | Page 2 | The Daily Meal

Old 05-13-2014, 06:37 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,316,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Maybe all the more reason he wants to stop- he's a single guy who may not want any attachments, anything holding him back, like, say, a wife, kids, or bustling hot dog business.

Personally, I've been and, while the duck fat fries were tasty, it's not an experience I'd go out of my way to repeat. The hot dogs were okay, not worth the wait (haven't tried any of the fancier versions. I don't much get the point of uber-fancy hot dogs). Maybe if my friends bug me enough, I would deal w/ that line again, but it's unlikely (exact same reason why I've only been to Kuma's once)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: