Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 10:40 AM

4 posts, read 19,987 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I'm newcomer in this forum and also new to Chicago. I'm looking for an apartment around U of Chicago and currently have one apartment offer at 53rd-55th S Cottage Grove Ave. The apartment itself seems nice and affordable for us but I am just wondering if this area is safe enough for a family of 2, soon to be 3 (with the baby coming later)?

I appreciate your input. Thanks a lot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 10:57 AM

5,516 posts, read 8,762,507 times
This is the very western edge of Hyde Park and can be somewhat lonely and desolated late at night. It's not the part of HP I'd feel most comfortable in taking my baby out in a stroller during a hot, summer evening. The park is a nice touch during the day, but some of the nearby blocks in this part of HP, like Drexel and Ingleside, can be a bit sketchy. Not ugly or burnt out or horribly violent or anything like that, but I suspect it could be a bit discomforting if you're unused to city living. Having a car here would also help, as you're not really close to the El or the commuter lines and would have to use the bus to reach either one or go downtown.

Personally, from what I've seen of HP, and I visit regularly, I would try to live a little further east, like from Greenwood or so on east toward the lake. That also puts you closer to local shopping on 53rd St.

Old 05-13-2014, 12:17 PM

498 posts, read 977,282 times
Personally I'd avoid living anywhere with street names in the double digits. That's just me though.

Old 05-13-2014, 12:24 PM

498 posts, read 724,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrels View Post
Personally I'd avoid living anywhere with street names in the double digits. That's just me though.
You can go ahead and ignore this comment

Old 05-13-2014, 12:33 PM

498 posts, read 977,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freefall18 View Post

Really though, I despise the south side. I'm sure some parts are nice like around the UC campus, but you'll never find me more than a few blocks south of Congress.

Last edited by squirrels; 05-13-2014 at 12:42 PM..

Old 05-13-2014, 12:52 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,905,668 times
Quote:
What an insanely ignorant comment this is. You are basically the same as everyone who moves to Chicago without knowing anything about the city, and assumes every part of the south side is bad.

Hyde Park is very nice and safe, and some of the areas in Kenwood north of that are nice too (i.e. where Obama's mansion is). Then you also have Chinatown which is in the "double digits" and safe (some parts especially closer to the river are nice too). Then of course you have good and safe communities like Beverly, Mt. Greenwood and also Ashburn to a fair extent. Or you could talk about Near South Side like Prairie District which is "double digits" and full of old mansions that are inhabited and not cheap. Also full of some modern and expensive high rises. Or also Jackson Park Highlands in South Shore which is full of nice houses or pretty much the surrounding areas of Midway which are all safe and pretty well maintained. There's also some nice parts of areas like Bronzeville

Old 05-13-2014, 01:31 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,568,351 times
Quote:

Really though, I despise the south side. I'm sure some parts are nice like around the UC campus, but you'll never find me more than a few blocks south of Congress.
No one cares where you go expect maybe a few family members.

Old 05-13-2014, 03:37 PM

4 posts, read 19,987 times
@citylove101: Thanks for your comment!
@squirrels: Sorry, I will just ignore your comment since I find it not helpful/informative regarding my questions.

My friend tells me that around UC campus there are police cars patrolling the area extensively, also there are police officers standing at every intersection (just on-campus area) until midnight. I really hope that the area's general safety is ok enough to live. My husband and I are both indoor type, so we do not wander around at night or even late evening, I think at least that will help us avoid being potential crime victims. Anyway, I'm also searching other places as well, hope to find a better offer to settle down in Chicago.

Old 05-13-2014, 04:26 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,905,668 times
Hyde Park is one of the safest neighborhoods in Chicago. Honestly..

Old 05-13-2014, 04:56 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
The issue I have with calling Hyde Park "one of the safest neighborhoods" is that it could lead people to not head the very stern and real warnings from respected voices like that of UofC campus security -- there are specific warning to avoid doing very common things like carrying a smartphone or personal music player...

The area along Cottage Grove is desolate -- if you are not walking directly to / from a bus or parking lots for the UofC hospital there are not many pedestrians on that area, to the point that is is noticeable and kind of creepy.

A few blocks further east things are dramatically more pleasant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago