Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 05:20 PM

15 posts, read 52,922 times

Advertisements

I miss Hopcat i GR, Mich. Rumor is they may expand into Chicago in the future (fingers crossed). I missed West Mich breweries. Founders, Hopcat, Perrin, GR Brewing Company, Brewery Vivant, Harmony In GR and Bells In Kalamazoo. Voted Beer City USA two years running.

However, Chicago has such great food and I have not even made a dent. I love Crisps, Cheesie, Big & Little's, to start.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2014, 08:55 AM

148 posts, read 213,370 times
Found it -> Bombacigno's J & C, 558 W. Van Buren, so a "couple more" blocks west than I thought, my apologies.

Still there, hours still only 11a-2p M-F, talk about boutique. Reviews seem to be love/hate, majority love, ranging from "Top 5 sandwich in the U.S.A" to "never go back".

Price wise "Pasta of the Day" is now $8.50 vs. under $5 (incl. soda) in the late 80's, so food prices in general really must have risen I suppose.

Old 05-15-2014, 12:54 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,688,400 times
I miss the ethnic food. In particular, Turkish....nowhere to be found here in Denver, CO.

Old 05-15-2014, 02:31 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,920,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billiken View Post
I miss the ethnic food. In particular, Turkish....nowhere to be found here in Denver, CO.
Chicago does have some pretty good Turkish food in reality. I've had a few places in town that were comparable in taste to places I've had in Turkey (been there more than once, don't worry) which friends who lived there told me were good.

Old 05-17-2014, 07:31 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,483,779 times
Taste of Lebanon Restaurant - Andersonville - Chicago, IL | Yelp

Old 05-17-2014, 08:41 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,359,565 times
Here in the Pacific NW, Mexican or hispanic food in general is SORELY lacking. There's 1 place I recommend. 1. Maybe 2. Out of a population of 4 million, that is a severely underserved market.

Chicago style pizza of any kind. I used to distinguish Giordano's from Uno's and the rest. Now I don't care.

Portillo's, though thank the Lord in heaven I found a place near me that is a family run craft brewery that actually has a killer au jus and polish sasusage.

Old 05-17-2014, 10:32 PM

21 posts, read 24,443 times
Living in Miami (south beach) now, mostly missing -

El Presidente on Ashland
Fontanos off Taylor St.
Portillos
Giordanos
Lou Malnatis
Q's Pizza in Hillside
Mr. Greeks in Greektown
Clark Dog - Lakeview
Freddy's in Cicero
Leon's BBQ
Captain Curts BBQ sauce in stores

Irish pubs - Halligan in Lincoln Park

Essentially anywhere with good cheap food and beer conveniently located. But I sure did love sending those palm tree pics this year to everyone back in Chicago in January.

Old 05-18-2014, 07:46 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,218,867 times
I just miss Chicago food period, my favorite foods there being the pizza, hot dogs, polish sausage and Harold's Chicken, and my favorite ethnic foods there being Indian, Chinese and Greek. I really didn't eat a lot of Mexican food when I lived in Chicago outside Pepe's which I loved (I don't know how good it is anymore). I also miss Garrett's Popcorn.

I didn't really start eating Mexican a lot until I moved to Atlanta. Some places were good, most were mediocre. The Indian food in Atlanta wasn't nearly as good as the Indian in Chicago and the Chinese was just plain disgusting by comparison. Because I spent so many years living in Atlanta, I also compared the food to Chicago a lot and it just wasn't as good. Not even close.

I'm now living in Texas and haven't had any ethnic food here yet to compare it to back home in Chicago. Well, I did have a couple of tacos at a taqueria stand at a flea market here in Texas and I must say, those were the best tacos I ever had in my life!

I miss that in Chicago you could get a lot of really good food cheap. Since leaving Chicago I've developed celiac disease so now when I go home to visit, I can't eat the foods that I love anymore, WHICH SUCKS MAJOR A**!!!

Old 05-19-2014, 09:50 AM

3,920 posts, read 6,835,417 times
I am moving up towards Addison and Lake Shore in a week and my dad and I went to visit my new condo. While there we decided to hit up a local restaurant for lunch.

We chose El Mariachi at 3420 N broadway not the one at 3906 N Broadway. I was VERY impressed! Its definitely a hole in the wall that you could easily miss if not searching for anything specific. The food was super authentic and homemade. My dad and I both said "you know the place is good if the refried beans aren't out of a can". This place obviously had hand mashed refried beans, etc.

Old 05-19-2014, 03:05 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,526,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thgencincy View Post
Found it -> Bombacigno's J & C, 558 W. Van Buren, so a "couple more" blocks west than I thought, my apologies.

Still there, hours still only 11a-2p M-F, talk about boutique. Reviews seem to be love/hate, majority love, ranging from "Top 5 sandwich in the U.S.A" to "never go back".

Price wise "Pasta of the Day" is now $8.50 vs. under $5 (incl. soda) in the late 80's, so food prices in general really must have risen I suppose.
Love that place. As I recall they used to reopen for dinner. Was introduced to the place through a coworker. We had a few meetings there from time to time too. Can't remember what my fav was. Rueben maybe? It was a bit farther than I preferred to go for lunch so it was a treat every time I did!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago