Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 11:25 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times

Advertisements

Testing! It works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2014, 07:04 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,590,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I was actually told this by a few people when I first moved here. Funny thing is that I've been taken for a ride twice when I got in a cab with others who said an address. The last one happened in October actually with a coworker of mine and before that with a friend visiting town. I always say the intersection when I get in a cab. Always, and IMO I haven't had many times where the cab driver was confused by what I was saying. Uber drivers on the other hand - hit or miss, but cab drivers know the city really well usually.
Well that explains why I know the cab driver took the long way to get to where i was going. I knew the route, but he went the round a bout way that i knew took the longest.. then when i told him, hey why are you going this way? he responded with that foreign "i dunno english" type of words. I had to tell him exactly where to turn and stuff, yet he "acted dumb" THATS why.. and i knew it. And i live here!

Old 05-19-2014, 08:04 AM

803 posts, read 1,668,130 times
This sort of coincides with marothisu's post, but don't get too attached to one particular neighborhood.

Old 05-19-2014, 08:24 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
Go ahead and put ketchup on your hot dog; perfectly normal in most parts of the country, but...

Old 05-19-2014, 08:39 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,989,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post

5) Thinking that they will make tons of good friends right away in a new city. Unless you're in college, it's going to take longer than that unless you get really lucky. People here are friendly, but they aren't over eager to be your best friend at the drop of a dime after meeting you for 2 minutes...usually. Look at Meetup groups, join a health club, etc etc.
If they ARE that desperate to be your new best friend after 2 minutes, you gotta wonder wtf is wrong with them!

Old 05-19-2014, 09:43 AM

2,474 posts, read 4,166,049 times
If you bring a car, get the necessary registrations as soon as possible.

As mentioned earlier, the city is very determined to fine and ticket you for any rules violations. They are on top of collecting money when and where they can, some people refer to them as professional criminals it's so bad.

They wrote my condo association a $1500 ticket for garbage cans being overflowed, as an example of a non-car ticket the city can levy.

Old 05-19-2014, 09:48 AM

2,474 posts, read 4,166,049 times
And our tree branches in front of the building were hanging too low... another ticket. They're devious.

Old 05-19-2014, 09:50 AM

3,391 posts, read 4,482,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by genericusername View Post
I've got a potential move to Chicago on the horizon and have been wondering what mistakes people have seen newcomers make and how to avoid them. I know mistakes will happen (no relocation is fun without some trial-and-error), but would love to hear people's thoughts on the matter!
Not honoring "Chicago dibs" after a heavy snowfall.

It has long been a tradition in Chicago that if you do the hard work of shoveling out a parking space, you have a right to place a chair or other marker there so that no one else takes it. Unfortunately, a lot of newbies have a much more selfish, mercenary attitude about this. They have no qualms about snatching a parking space someone else has broken their back to dig out. Frankly, I think people like that ought to be tarred and feathered, and have their cars burned. But a better alternative is just to honor Chicago dibs.

Last edited by RogersParkGuy; 05-19-2014 at 10:05 AM..

Old 05-19-2014, 10:48 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,989,184 times
Or even better, the young healthy people on the block shovel out all the spaces.

Old 05-19-2014, 11:57 AM

968 posts, read 2,665,991 times
If you play softball , well, you don't really play softball . Two types here - 16 inch , which is played without gloves and is the game of choice in Chicagoland , and the 12 inch that predominates in the rest of the US. Typically, Glove Softball will be called '12 inch' , and they might or might not be specific with using "16 Inch" in front of 'Softball' . if you're invited to play . Don't be afraid to ask - once .

And , 'Soft' is inaccurate when describing 16 inch Clincher right out of the box ; it takes a few innings . You're not wearing a glove, so watch the fielding heroics, or you'll be paying your orthopedist a visit . Go for your power hitting early in the game; the ball could turn into a boxing glove after a few poundings. Don't worry - you'll figure out things like 'High Arc' eventually .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago