Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 07:51 PM

527 posts, read 600,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleking View Post
don't listen to people who tell you a car is optional
Really? I would actually say just the opposite: The common rookie mistake is people thinking they need a car. If you live and work near el stops (or even bus stops), you're probably not going to use your car much anyway. It's cheaper and easier to take a cab now and then and rent a car for the occasional weekend getaway than it is to own a car in the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2014, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Go ahead and put ketchup on your hot dog; perfectly normal in most parts of the country, but...
Not normal anywhere I've lived. I always thought it was just a matter of basic taste-- Didn't know anyone considered it to be a local thing until I moved to Chicago.

Old 05-19-2014, 08:13 PM

781 posts, read 736,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucktownbabe View Post
Listening to suburbanite douchebags who troll city forums?
Must suck to be you.

Old 05-19-2014, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleking View Post
i love only driving my car once or twice a month but i absolutely need it
What do you do with your car once or twice a month that couldn't be done with a cab, zip car, or regular rental car at a fraction of the cost of owning, maintaining, insuring, registering, and parking a car in the city?

Old 05-19-2014, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetailSymbolizes View Post
Must suck to be you.
Based on the reps that post received, it's apparently a common sentiment.

Old 05-19-2014, 08:52 PM

190 posts, read 315,274 times
if you're only driving a car once or twice a month, it's absolutely optional.

Old 05-19-2014, 09:10 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,909,459 times
Quote:
A LOT of people here have that accent, and are every bit as obsessed with sports as those guys were. I assume that's what the poster was referring to.
Sure, but it's not permeating every single part of the city like some believe. Also you won't hear that accent much in more transplant-centric areas.

Old 05-19-2014, 09:11 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,909,459 times
Quote:
What do you do with your car once or twice a month that couldn't be done with a cab, zip car, or regular rental car at a fraction of the cost of owning, maintaining, insuring, registering, and parking a car in the city?
Yep, but if you own the car then whatever. If you're leasing the car or something, then that's a waste of money big time. It's pretty easy to go carless in Chicago and I'm one of those (many of my friends don't have them either. I have a bunch who got rid of their cars too after realizing it was stupid in the first place).

Old 05-19-2014, 09:26 PM

221 posts, read 321,998 times
Quote:
Really? I would actually say just the opposite: The common rookie mistake is people thinking they need a car. If you live and work near el stops (or even bus stops), you're probably not going to use your car much anyway. It's cheaper and easier to take a cab now and then and rent a car for the occasional weekend getaway than it is to own a car in the city.
I agree. Most of the young professionals I know don't own cars. They're transplants from other areas and they live by the El and work downtown. Owning a car during the winter is brutal, for example if you end up buying a beater then something is bound to break over the winter, unless you buy indoor parking which is $150/mo minimum, or strike gold with an apartment that has free garage parking.

But I think it also comes down to lifestyle. If you want to live in the suburbs where you can find cheap, spacious 1-bedroom apartments then it might be worth it to put some of your extra savings toward a car.

Old 05-19-2014, 10:16 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,313,636 times
Quote:
I certainly needed a car when I first moved here. My job was in a section of Hoffman Estates where there wasn't any public transportation, and the nearest Metra stop was five miles away. There had been a company-run shuttle between the Metra station and the workplace, but by the time I started working there they had discontinued it. I drove to and from my job there for more than four years.

After that, I was able to transfer to one of the downtown offices. Afterward I discovered I was only using my car once every two to three weeks or so. Between garage parking and insurance, I realized my cost per trip was enormous. That's when I decided to get rid of it, and I've been happily carfree ever since.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago