Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 05:01 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
About as cowardly as having to sneak up on someone from behind, put a knife in their side and demand their money because you're too stupid to be able to get real job and earn your own money.
Lenny's the only guy who can make me sympathize with a mugger.

Old 05-28-2014, 06:42 PM

409 posts, read 587,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynonos View Post
Most people would not take a walk down by the lake or through Lincoln Park by themselves after 2AM when there are not other people around... because it would be very, very dumb to do so.
Yup. In life you try and minimize risk. No point in putting yourself in a dangerous situation if you can avoid it.

Old 05-28-2014, 08:10 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynonos View Post
There are a LOT of unsavory characters and groups of people wandering around downtown and in many other parts of the city that people think are "safe" after midnight.

The crime stats are mitigated through a combination of well-trafficked streets and, mostly, 99 percent of the population being savvy enough to not be out and about by themselves in otherwise desolate areas.

Most people would not take a walk down by the lake or through Lincoln Park by themselves after 2AM when there are not other people around... because it would be very, very dumb to do so.
I'm well aware of this, as I live downtown. The worst thing that's happened to me is a few people have tried to sell me coke - no big deal. Again, famous last words, but it still doesn't detract me from doing it - I tend to stay on the more well lit streets when I can anyway.

Different strokes for different folks.

Old 05-29-2014, 01:11 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,970,936 times
I am so sorry to read about the op being mugged.

No one should have to deal with this. We should be able to walk around any city, in any neighborhood and be comfortable doing what we want.

I am not the most street smart person out here but there is no neighborhood that is safe enough to let my guard down. I will never forget seeing a guy being stabbed on Belmont.

Remember you are living in a big city. Scary people are part of living in a big city. I personally didn't care for Lakeview due to the number of clubs, drugs and thugs. It's a yuppie neighborhood but the nature of the area brings out the mess in people especially early in the morning.

Old 05-29-2014, 01:21 AM

95 posts, read 107,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
Concealed carry would have solved the problem.
How, when the knife is on your throat?

You would have to upholster, take the safety off, then get into a firing position, put a bullet in the chamber and fire and hope that doesnt risk innocent by standers..

Have you ever been trained in gun safety?

Old 05-29-2014, 07:32 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,225,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Standard111 View Post
Yup. In life you try and minimize risk. No point in putting yourself in a dangerous situation if you can avoid it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
I am so sorry to read about the op being mugged.
No one should have to deal with this. We should be able to walk around any city, in any neighborhood and be comfortable doing what we want.
I am not the most street smart person out here but there is no neighborhood that is safe enough to let my guard down. I will never forget seeing a guy being stabbed on Belmont.
Remember you are living in a big city. Scary people are part of living in a big city. I personally didn't care for Lakeview due to the number of clubs, drugs and thugs. It's a yuppie neighborhood but the nature of the area brings out the mess in people especially early in the morning.
ditto

Old 05-29-2014, 08:10 AM

498 posts, read 977,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Dragon View Post

You would have to upholster, take the safety off, then get into a firing position, put a bullet in the chamber and fire and hope that doesnt risk innocent by standers..

Have you ever been trained in concealed carry? Most people carry with a bullet already in the chamber, and many carry with the safety off or carry a gun that doesn't have a safety. Granted it wouldn't have been particularly helpful in this case unless the OP wanted to risk blind shooting the guy while he had a knife near his throat (risky at best), but carrying concealed is still a fine way to keep yourself from being successfully mugged under other circumstances.

Old 05-29-2014, 08:11 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,038,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Dragon View Post

Like I said. Give the mugger your stuff and as he's walking away, say "Freeze". I bet you get your stuff back and can deliver a nice pistol whipping in the process.

What's he gonna do? Tell the cops "I mugged some guy and then he mugged be back and pistol whipped me"

Old 05-29-2014, 08:29 AM

4,745 posts, read 5,572,673 times
I'm in no hurry to run out and get a permit to carry a gun. Even living on the south side I don't feel the need to carry a gun around. I can understand why less physically capable and mentally alert people might want to though. You hear a lot of scary stuff on the news.

Old 05-29-2014, 10:43 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
I'm in no hurry to run out and get a permit to carry a gun. Even living on the south side I don't feel the need to carry a gun around. I can understand why less physically capable and mentally alert people might want to though. You hear a lot of scary stuff on the news.
LOL, couldn't agree more. I can't believe the amount of people who are afraid to walk at 2am even in certain north side areas. Even my 110 pound ex girlfriend from Asia wasn't afraid of doing that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago