Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 12:41 PM

4 posts, read 5,169 times

Advertisements

I see that several people have mentioned Oak Park. I will add that to my list. I've heard people mention that area several times in other circles as well. Does anyone know anything about Brighton Park or McKinley Park?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2014, 01:23 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,276,703 times
Brighton Park is pretty rough in terms of gang activity. McKinley Park far less so, but still in my opinion just a marginally ok neighborhood.

If you're looking down that way I would look at Bridgeport east of Halsted.

Old 06-08-2014, 01:27 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,944,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynonos View Post
Brighton Park is pretty rough in terms of gang activity. McKinley Park far less so, but still in my opinion just a marginally ok neighborhood.

If you're looking down that way I would look at Bridgeport east of Halsted.
What is the quality of (public) schools in that part of town?

Old 06-08-2014, 01:32 PM

Not very good, I don't think. I think a lot of people go to Catholic schools, magnet schools, etc.

Old 06-08-2014, 03:24 PM

410 posts, read 633,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post

A lot of people go to Metro Detroit, and seem to be familiar with Grosse Pointe as Detroit areas most affluent area, probably because its closest to the city, and its history. But metro Detroit true equivalent to Chicagos north shore suburbs would probably be closer to the Bloomfield-Birmingham area (along adjacent areas like Troy, etc.). This where the greatest concentration of wealth, shopping, flash, etc is in metro Detroit. Even though, those outside metro Detroit are less familiar with it.

The Grosse Pointes are really more of an old money enclave with historic homes surrounded by a lot of broken down city neighborhoods. Having lived in the Oak Park/River Forest area for two years, I would say that that might be a little closer approximation to Grosse Pointe (River Forest has beautiful tudor mansions, very leafy streets, but is a stone throw from Maywood, and has the West side with Austin just across Oak Park). River Forest with a lakefront, might be a closer idea.
I have a friend from Bloomfield Hills, and I have explored the area as well, though not quite as extensively as the Gross Pointe's. The Bloomfield Hills area feels a lot more like Hinsdale in my eyes, very wealthy, with lots of newer housing. However I do understand where you're coming from with your Oak Park/Gross Pointe comparison. It's just the feeling of driving through the area from the city through Jefferson Ave feels very close to the feeling I get when driving through the North Shore on Sheridan Rd, albeit the change in Detroit is much more drastic.

Old 06-11-2014, 12:33 AM

203 posts, read 386,044 times
If you have compelling reasons for this move, there are relatively affordable areas in Evanston and Oak Park which are zoned for good schools. The affordable parts of Evanston are generally at the western and southern edges of town. (e.g., farther from the lake or adjacent to Chicago.) The affordable parts of Oak Park are generally closer to Austin Boulevard (which is the boundary with the City of Chicago.) However, one reason these areas are cheap is because they have high crime.

There are also desirable, safe suburbs with good schools with a similar housing situation to what you have now in the Grosse Pointes. Namely, it would be very expensive to buy, but for some reason the area offers affordable apartment complexes. The areas where such housing exists are generally a long way from downtown Chicago. These areas are socially conservative, which may or may not be your thing.

If you're looking for good schools at a manageable price, steer clear of the Chicago Public Schools. The relatively good K-8 schools in this system that exist are generally in the more expensive neighborhoods. There is no guarantee of getting into a good high school no matter where in the city you live.

Illinois does not have Schools of Choice or anything like it. Generally, your children will have to attend the school district in which your home is located. You cannot simply apply to a better district and take responsibility for getting your children to school there.

The big picture is that you are likely exchanging some of the best Metro Detroit has to offer for a mediocre situation in Chicagoland. You are likely taking a substantial step down in quality of education, quality of life, safety, or some combination thereof.

As someone who recently relocated from Chicagoland to southeast Michigan, I question why you would want to do this.

Last edited by IAmEverywhere; 06-11-2014 at 12:43 AM.. Reason: Added note about Schools of Choice

Old 06-11-2014, 02:37 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,402,578 times
Yeah Hyde Park is good but expensive, Bridgeport is also good, predominantly white but also diverse community of Hispanics and Asians, as it is right next to China Town, literally a mile or two from downtown. The CTA is the best transportation service in my opinion in the entire country. Beverly is also a nice and safe neighborhood, but it's much further from downtown and it's on the south side. In Hyde Park, anything east of Cottage Grove Ave and north of 61st is safe, and anything north of 47th and east of Racine is safe in Bridgeport.

Old 06-11-2014, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmEverywhere View Post
If you have compelling reasons for this move, there are relatively affordable areas in Evanston and Oak Park which are zoned for good schools. The affordable parts of Evanston are generally at the western and southern edges of town. (e.g., farther from the lake or adjacent to Chicago.) The affordable parts of Oak Park are generally closer to Austin Boulevard (which is the boundary with the City of Chicago.) However, one reason these areas are cheap is because they have high crime.

There are also desirable, safe suburbs with good schools with a similar housing situation to what you have now in the Grosse Pointes. Namely, it would be very expensive to buy, but for some reason the area offers affordable apartment complexes. The areas where such housing exists are generally a long way from downtown Chicago. These areas are socially conservative, which may or may not be your thing.

If you're looking for good schools at a manageable price, steer clear of the Chicago Public Schools. The relatively good K-8 schools in this system that exist are generally in the more expensive neighborhoods. There is no guarantee of getting into a good high school no matter where in the city you live.

Illinois does not have Schools of Choice or anything like it. Generally, your children will have to attend the school district in which your home is located. You cannot simply apply to a better district and take responsibility for getting your children to school there.

The big picture is that you are likely exchanging some of the best Metro Detroit has to offer for a mediocre situation in Chicagoland. You are likely taking a substantial step down in quality of education, quality of life, safety, or some combination thereof.

As someone who recently relocated from Chicagoland to southeast Michigan, I question why you would want to do this.
That's a good point. If life seems unmanageable in Grosse Pointe, moving to inner-city Chicago is a whole nother ball of wax.

Would seem odd to want to make the jump with kids in tow. But, to each their own.

Speaking from experience, the pace of life in metro Detroit is simply far more manageable. I totally understand people moving to Chicago out of boredom, or for a great job, or just because it's a great city.

But it is indeed an odd place to relocate to if you're not making a lot of money and looking for a good school for your kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago