Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 05:08 PM

4 posts, read 5,165 times

Advertisements

Hello I'll be moving to Chicago from Detroit at the beginning of 2015. I have a small child that will be starting kindergarten in the Fall of the same year. I've done a lot of research via reading posts here and other places but wanted to go out on a limb and start my own thread. Basically, I'm looking for a reasonably priced area that is of course safe, has good access to public transportation, good schools, parks and is family oriented. I'd LOVE to find all of these things in area where I am paying no more than $1,000 dollars a month for a 2 bedroom. Coming from Detroit will definitely be a cultural shift! I lived in the Detroit suburbs in area that was about 15 minutes from downtown, very quiet, very safe, very diverse, very walkable, and had good schools! AND I was paying $750 for a 3 bedroom (which had a attic, basement and a detached garage). I think it will be nearly impossible to find something similar to that in Chicago...but I don't know for certain.
My working location hasn't been determined yet. I'm currently a consultant that works with non-profits so theoretically I could stay anywhere (but when consulting gets slow I do need find part-time work so I think it would be ideal to not be too far from the city. Suggestions on pre-k/elementary schools would be fabulous as well! Thanks in advance for replies!

PS I've been looking at Hyde Park, Bridgeport, Logan Square, Albany Park... because I will be back in forth to MI because of family I'd prefer South if possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2014, 05:09 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,276,163 times
Which burb of Motown were you in?

Old 05-28-2014, 05:40 PM

Grosse Pointe. Its a really expensive area if you are buying a home but the rental area on the edge of the city that borders Detroit is really affordable. That being said... I'm used to living close to a sketchy area (but the sketchy areas in Detroit aren't densely populated and look worse than they actually are)

Old 05-28-2014, 06:54 PM

410 posts, read 633,453 times
A 3 bedroom home/apartment may be doable in Hyde Park/Kenwood for $1200-$1500. There are neighborhood's around that area that are dicey, but the community itself is safe, as it is patrolled by both CPD and University of Chicago campus police, and the neighborhood is very pleasant. I'm not overly familiar with the schools down in that area, so I'm afraid I can't help you there. I'm sure someone else can help with that?

Btw, I recall driving up to the Gross Pointes from Detroit on Jefferson Avenue, and my god, the transition from city to suburb is just happens so fast, and the differences are drastic! It was two different worlds. Regardless, I love the GP's, it reminds me of Chicago's North Shore, where I grew up, but with less snobbery and flashiness.

Old 05-28-2014, 07:35 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,905,668 times
You can find 2 or even 3 bedrooms sometimes in Bridgeport or McKinley Park for $1000/month or less. Of course, it won't be luxury, but I know for a fact they exist. I have no idea how good schools are either.

Old 05-28-2014, 07:46 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,276,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chero78 View Post
Grosse Pointe. Its a really expensive area if you are buying a home but the rental area on the edge of the city that borders Detroit is really affordable. That being said... I'm used to living close to a sketchy area (but the sketchy areas in Detroit aren't densely populated and look worse than they actually are)
I am very familiar w/ GP.

There is not really an equivalent here....I would go small and focus on a safer neighborhood.

All of those you mention are fine.

Old 05-28-2014, 09:29 PM

Thanks for the information everyone. I didn't think there was an equivalent to Grosse Pointe in Chicago... at least not one that I could afford. I'll miss it for sure. And to the person that mentioned driving along Jefferson into Grosse Pointe... I had a friend that visited me from Chicago years ago and said the exact same thing!

Old 05-31-2014, 10:32 AM

5,738 posts, read 5,440,415 times
The most similar feel you'd get is in Hyde Park or Oak Park (a suburb). There's nothing wrong with trying a new kind of place if you feel like it.

Old 05-31-2014, 01:09 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Default Budget????? TRUE neighborhood?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
The most similar feel you'd get is in Hyde Park or Oak Park (a suburb). There's nothing wrong with trying a new kind of place if you feel like it.
Some folks upthread suggested you could get a 3 bdrm apt for $1300 in a nice neighborhood like Hyde Park and I would respectfully suggest they are WAY OFF. There are probably dishonest landlords that may advertise such things but in reality the actual unit will be "near" the desirable neighborhood. It may even look OK bit it will very likely be outside the patrol of the UofC police, will have only very poorly performing neighborhood schools, have even worse access to transit than Hyde Park and generally not be a suitable location for anyone other fools that get conned by unscrupulous property owners.

Even at nearly double the amount suggested it is not likely to find a nice modern family sized place to rent in a desirable area like Hyde Park.

Given the way that Chicago has developed the OP might do better looking at a birder suburb like Oak Park, Evnaston or Skokie to have the benefits of suburban style safety / good schools with the benefits of easy access to Chicago, there are probably lower priced homes in the "rougher" parts of these towns that may remind them if the less uniformly desirable sections of Grosse Point.

Old 06-04-2014, 10:54 PM

5,975 posts, read 13,112,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by japster28 View Post
A 3 bedroom home/apartment may be doable in Hyde Park/Kenwood for $1200-$1500. There are neighborhood's around that area that are dicey, but the community itself is safe, as it is patrolled by both CPD and University of Chicago campus police, and the neighborhood is very pleasant. I'm not overly familiar with the schools down in that area, so I'm afraid I can't help you there. I'm sure someone else can help with that?

Btw, I recall driving up to the Gross Pointes from Detroit on Jefferson Avenue, and my god, the transition from city to suburb is just happens so fast, and the differences are drastic! It was two different worlds. Regardless, I love the GP's, it reminds me of Chicago's North Shore, where I grew up, but with less snobbery and flashiness.
I went to school in Michigan, and would go visit college friends so became a little familiar with the Detroit area during my college days.

A lot of people go to Metro Detroit, and seem to be familiar with Grosse Pointe as Detroit areas most affluent area, probably because its closest to the city, and its history. But metro Detroit true equivalent to Chicagos north shore suburbs would probably be closer to the Bloomfield-Birmingham area (along adjacent areas like Troy, etc.). This where the greatest concentration of wealth, shopping, flash, etc is in metro Detroit. Even though, those outside metro Detroit are less familiar with it.

The Grosse Pointes are really more of an old money enclave with historic homes surrounded by a lot of broken down city neighborhoods. Having lived in the Oak Park/River Forest area for two years, I would say that that might be a little closer approximation to Grosse Pointe (River Forest has beautiful tudor mansions, very leafy streets, but is a stone throw from Maywood, and has the West side with Austin just across Oak Park). River Forest with a lakefront, might be a closer idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago